Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so.damn.lost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
NY
I cannot turn on my airport. When I go to the icon on the top of the screen, the wheel just keeps spinning and nothing happens. Read a few threads and attempted to go into thru the "network" panel in system preferences to see if I can change locations or connect via Ethernet. Every time I try to open the network pane, the system preferences freezes and I have to force quit.

One odd thing, I check my disk using disk utility and repaired it. When I started up using my snow leopard disk, I clicked on the airport icon at the top of the screen and was able to turn it on and connect to my airport.

Anyone have any ideas? Many thanks.

MacBook pro * Mac OS X (10.6.6) * First generation MacBook *

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Create a new user. See if you still have issues there. If you don't, then the issue is somewhere in the other user's home directory. If you do, it's somewhere in the global preferences. You've already verified it works under a clean OS, which implies the hardware is fine.

so.damn.lost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
NY
Airport/global preferences.

Where do i find global preferences? And what should I do? Thank you.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Are you saying it doesn't work when you log in as a different user?

I said that would mean it's somewhere in the global preferences, but technically, it just means it's not user-specific. So, really, all you've narrowed out is /Users. It could be preferences, or it could be a borked OS install. I don't know off the top of my head precisely where the network settings are stored, but they'd be somewhere in /Library/Preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.