Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
You might have been aware, or not, but...

I've had 11.6" Air since about 3 weeks after its launch date, and for some odd reason, I've always used regular headphones or even my Bluetooth headphones to listen to music and video.

I happen to forget both today, so I had my iPhone 4's headphones nearby and used it, only to inadvertently bump the volume control between the edge of my desk and my chest.

Needless to say, the volume control on the wire controlled the Air, as the on-screen indicator flashed the volume going up and down.

Tapping the center of the control (that usually toggled iPod playback on the iPhone) actually fired up iTunes.

Lastly, the microphone works cleanly, making FaceTime and Skype even more enjoyable, intimate, and/or private in public areas.

And all this time, I thought it was just a regular headphone jack. :)

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
That is awesome! I was actually wondering about this the other day. I wonder why apple does not advertise this.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I'm kind of surprised this still isn't obviously stated in the manuals or something. This actually was the case for every 13" or smaller Mac that went to 1 audio port since 2008/2009. But it's still good information to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.