Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piffle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
UK (South East)
Hi all,
I have been a mac user for many many years. I have also been a big fan of warcraft for three years. My girlfriend and i play together me on my mac pro tower, she on her macbook pro. we use virgin media as our service provider and we are on their optical cable service. We have not had any problems until the last big update to wow appeared (cataclysm). Since then we have had some serious issues with connection. Whilst the mac pro always holds its connection no matter what, the macbook drops its connection every 10-20 minutes making gaming together completely unrealistic for us. We have tried swapping all of our cables for new ones and, because we are lucky enough to own several macs, we have even swapped the laptop over with another of identical spec. No matter what we have tried we can not maintain a useable connection on the second machine. Virgin have replaced our router but beyond this they are not being very helpful at all. Has anyone here experienced similar problems? Can anyone suggest a possible way to solve this problem? or suggest a possible cause? At the moment we are paying for two wow accounts and an optical broadband service all of which are completely useless (from a gaming perspective).

seankann

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
Hi all,
I have been a mac user for many many years. I have also been a big fan of warcraft for three years. My girlfriend and i play together me on my mac pro tower, she on her macbook pro. we use virgin media as our service provider and we are on their optical cable service. We have not had any problems until the last big update to wow appeared (cataclysm). Since then we have had some serious issues with connection. Whilst the mac pro always holds its connection no matter what, the macbook drops its connection every 10-20 minutes making gaming together completely unrealistic for us. We have tried swapping all of our cables for new ones and, because we are lucky enough to own several macs, we have even swapped the laptop over with another of identical spec. No matter what we have tried we can not maintain a useable connection on the second machine. Virgin have replaced our router but beyond this they are not being very helpful at all. Has anyone here experienced similar problems? Can anyone suggest a possible way to solve this problem? or suggest a possible cause? At the moment we are paying for two wow accounts and an optical broadband service all of which are completely useless (from a gaming perspective).

One thing to look at in your router is your MTU setting. Most routers use default 1500. Try changing it to 1492.. might help

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Apparently Blizzard has changed how it "shapes" data to/from the WoW client. Sounds like the networking hardware is resetting after a period of activity.

My cable modem-connected Linksys router seems to do this. After a certain amount of traffic/time, it just drops connections.

Fiber optic also has much lower latency than normal copper wire internet. There may be some tweaks to Mac OS X for ultra-low latency connections (FiOS from Verizon in the US is typ. what needs it).

Try googling around. Prolly some shell script or something to download and run to tweak things a bit.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
My advise is use this as an opportunity to walk away from a game that develops and consumes the lives of those involved in it destroying all aspects of the real world, segregating you from real people having real lives. (Just saying is all)

From

An X WoW addict :eek:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
you can always type ping google.com into a terminal window and minimize that before starting the game.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
My advise is use this as an opportunity to walk away from a game that develops and consumes the lives of those involved in it destroying all aspects of the real world, segregating you from real people having real lives. (Just saying is all)

From

An X WoW addict :eek:

/agreed.
An X WoW addict.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I realize this is not your situation, but I'll mention it. My setup is a cable modem and a router where I purchased the router. I had problems maintaining my connection with my xbox. My router was several years old. When I purchased a new router, my connection remained stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.