PDA

View Full Version : Lion installation disc?

Skika
Feb 7, 2011, 02:26 PM
Hi,

i have a question, if my friend plans to buy a mac later this year when Lion will be included standard, can you use that disc to install on other Macbooks? I heard that disc that come with the computers are made just for them, is that true?

Tnx

MacDawg
Feb 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
If it stays true to form, discs that come with a computer will be machine specific and not able to be used on other computers

simsaladimbamba
Feb 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
You won't be able to use that DVD as it is tied to the machine.
You need to go the legal route and buy ...

pacmania1982
Feb 9, 2011, 02:38 AM
Hi,

i have a question, if my friend plans to buy a mac later this year when Lion will be included standard, can you use that disc to install on other Macbooks? I heard that disc that come with the computers are made just for them, is that true?

Tnx

How about waiting for the release date for Lion, then buying a Mac a week before. You'll get the Snow Leopard DVD which will be machine specific, but you should then be able to get the Lion installer disk for the price of shipping and handling - usually $9.95 or something. That way it should be a universal disk and not tied to a machine?

Just an idea

pac

supermariofan25
Feb 9, 2011, 03:56 AM
Why don't buy it? it's only about $40 AUD i think:)

simsaladimbamba
Feb 9, 2011, 04:20 AM
Why don't buy it? it's only about $40 AUD i think:)

The OP is talking about a future iteration of Mac OS X, called Lion and to be released in summer 2011. Therefore the OP can't buy it yet, but prices are unknown too.
What you seem to refer to is Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the current iteration of Mac OS X and it costs 39 A$ as you implied: http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC573Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

MattInOz
Feb 9, 2011, 06:27 AM
How about waiting for the release date for Lion, then buying a Mac a week before. You'll get the Snow Leopard DVD which will be machine specific, but you should then be able to get the Lion installer disk for the price of shipping and handling - usually $9.95 or something. That way it should be a universal disk and not tied to a machine?

Just an idea

pac

Or wait and buy the computer in the week after. If you buy a stock machine they normally have the same mail in disks to put in the box, until the New OS stock starts to role in.