Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepyro395

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Arkansas
I have had my Macbook for about 2 years now, late 2008 model unibody, and a couple of days ago I tried using Skype and it wouldn't let me use the iSight camera that is built-in. It said that no camera was connected. What do I do?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have had my Macbook for about 2 years now, late 2008 model unibody, and a couple of days ago I tried using Skype and it wouldn't let me use the iSight camera that is built-in. It said that no camera was connected. What do I do?

What version of Mac OS X and what version of Skype are you running?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If the above steps don't bring a solution, can you try Photo Booth to test the iSight? Or look at System Profiler > Hardware >> USB >>> USB High-Speed Bus >>>> Built-in iSight?

thepyro395

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Arkansas
If the above steps don't bring a solution, can you try Photo Booth to test the iSight? Or look at System Profiler > Hardware >> USB >>> USB High-Speed Bus >>>> Built-in iSight?

I found it in the profiler but it wasn't in High Speed bus it was in the normal bus. It didn't connect in photo booth either.

Built-in iSight:

Product ID: 0x8507
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 4.18
Serial Number: 8J8B51L1G40U3A00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x04400000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

Thats the information I get when I clicked on it

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
It may not definitively state it but it can sometimes help when the iSight should be working but doesn't. Or if the OP sees no indication of a software issue.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It may not definitively state it but it can sometimes help when the iSight should be working but doesn't. Or if the OP sees no indication of a software issue.
Resetting SMC has no effect on the iSight camera at all. It will not help. Rebooting, however, may help.

thepyro395

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Arkansas
Resetting SMC has no effect on the iSight camera at all. It will not help. Rebooting, however, may help.

My macbook battery ran out so it went dead then once I plugged it in and rebooted it began to work again. Thank you guys for the help.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
My macbook battery ran out so it went dead then once I plugged it in and rebooted it began to work again. Thank you guys for the help.

Letting the battery run out fixed the problem or the battery was low and perhaps OS X was in an energy mode to save the battery power so it was not allowing you to use the camera.

I've had the same issue with my MacBook for a while but haven't really investigated it. It's usually plugged in most of the day so the battery never drains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.