PDA

View Full Version : DIY Under Cabinet Powerbook - LCD Help

kboyington
Feb 7, 2011, 06:01 PM
Hello! I am new here but I am undertaking a DIY Project with my old PowerBook G4 17in. I pretty much dismantled the display from the body. It was all looking good until I went to mount it under my cabinet.

I was holding the two seperate pieces ( I know, but I was in a hurry!) and I kept moving them around. Eventually the screen flickered and then went dark.:mad:

I know the screen is still getting the video feed, and I can remote desktop into it. If I hold a light up to the screen I can see the desktop.

Should I look at the inverter board, cables, logic board, or bulb? Thanks!

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 7, 2011, 06:47 PM
Check the inverter board and check all the cables. Sounds like they got pinched and are shorting out somewhere.

Throw up some pics of your DIY project too. That's a pretty cool idea though. Do you have to rotate 180* the screen display if you mount it underneath the cabinet since it's upside down?

kboyington
Feb 7, 2011, 07:05 PM
Check the inverter board and check all the cables. Sounds like they got pinched and are shorting out somewhere.

Throw up some pics of your DIY project too. That's a pretty cool idea though. Do you have to rotate 180* the screen display if you mount it underneath the cabinet since it's upside down?

i have looked at everything I can see and dont see anything that jumps out at me. I dont know much about the board, but I cant see anything burnt.

I got a old IBM Laptop off Freecycle and I was going to try to see if the inverter board will even light up the screen, bad idea?

kboyington
Feb 8, 2011, 05:37 PM
Do you have to rotate 180* the screen display if you mount it underneath the cabinet since it's upside down?

Also, yes this was a pain for some reason. My PB would not show the option to rotate in the Pref Pane, so I had to find the ATI software to do it. Once installed, it worked well.