Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kboyington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Little Rock, AR
Hello! I am new here but I am undertaking a DIY Project with my old PowerBook G4 17in. I pretty much dismantled the display from the body. It was all looking good until I went to mount it under my cabinet.

I was holding the two seperate pieces ( I know, but I was in a hurry!) and I kept moving them around. Eventually the screen flickered and then went dark.:mad:

I know the screen is still getting the video feed, and I can remote desktop into it. If I hold a light up to the screen I can see the desktop.

Should I look at the inverter board, cables, logic board, or bulb? Thanks!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Check the inverter board and check all the cables. Sounds like they got pinched and are shorting out somewhere.

Throw up some pics of your DIY project too. That's a pretty cool idea though. Do you have to rotate 180* the screen display if you mount it underneath the cabinet since it's upside down?

kboyington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Little Rock, AR
Pictures and Inverter

Check the inverter board and check all the cables. Sounds like they got pinched and are shorting out somewhere.

Throw up some pics of your DIY project too. That's a pretty cool idea though. Do you have to rotate 180* the screen display if you mount it underneath the cabinet since it's upside down?

i have looked at everything I can see and dont see anything that jumps out at me. I dont know much about the board, but I cant see anything burnt.

I got a old IBM Laptop off Freecycle and I was going to try to see if the inverter board will even light up the screen, bad idea?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 46
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 39
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 44
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 46

kboyington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Little Rock, AR
Rotate

Do you have to rotate 180* the screen display if you mount it underneath the cabinet since it's upside down?

Also, yes this was a pain for some reason. My PB would not show the option to rotate in the Pref Pane, so I had to find the ATI software to do it. Once installed, it worked well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.