PDA

View Full Version : 11" Macbook Air Hampshire Sleeve by Pack and Smooch Review

cheapa55
Feb 7, 2011, 11:03 PM
I know a lot of us have been asking and looking for a sleeve for the new macbook air. Like everyone else, I have been searching for the perfect case and I think I've found it. First off, this review is for the 11" but the designer makes the sleeve for the 11", 13", 15", as well as 17" macbooks.

I have been looking for a case to come out that looked good but wasn't too expensive, and one that was protective enough that I could carry it by itself and not have to put it in a bag. I waited since the day the 11" MBA was released but I kept going back to the company that made my favorite iPhone 4 sleeve/case.

This is a laptop sleeve made of high quality wool and tanned leather. The quality and stitching are top notch. I was really impressed with the quality when I opened the package. It is nearly flawless and very well designed. It is a perfect fit for my new MBA.

There is a pocket that can easily fit an iPhone, pen, or notes. The bottom leather is located in the perfect spot and it has just the right amount of grip when I'm holding the sleeve.

Overall this sleeve not only looks good and is stylish, but I feel like it is excellent at protecting the macbook air. The wool is thick enough that I feel confident that if I accidentally dropped the macbook while in the sleeve, I don't think it would damage the MBA at all (but I hope that never happens).

I'm now tempted to get my wife one for her 13" MBA.

Here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.pack-smooch.com/

I'm attaching pics from the official website as well as my own for comparison. Sorry for my bad pictures and bad lighting, I tried my best. :)

let me know if anyone has any questions.

cheapa55
Feb 7, 2011, 11:05 PM
Here are my pictures. The leather is not as orange as it looks in my pictures. In real life, the leather is tan color and looks very professional.

dlamin517
Feb 7, 2011, 11:41 PM
how much was it

Hoxer
Feb 8, 2011, 02:44 AM
5 mins ago my Pack & Smooch sleeve for the 13" MBA in the same colour as yours arrived.

It's indeed af very nice sleeve the quality is very nice. My only problem with the sleeve so far is my missing MBA... it's still ********** around in Shanghai AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!

:)

ohwell
Feb 8, 2011, 06:30 AM
Case definitely looks eye-catching and professional.

how much was it

Looks like €64,00 (~$87 USD) regardless of size according to their site.

http://www.pack-smooch.com/en/shop/apple-macbook-laptop-sleeve-air-hampshire-felt-leather/4-greylight-brown

Alfieg
Feb 8, 2011, 06:37 AM
I've been in touch with them this morning. They have none of the dark grey felt in stock until next week.

Boston007
Feb 8, 2011, 06:44 AM
The snaps have got to go, I'm sorry.

Insilin1i
Feb 8, 2011, 06:57 AM
This is the 13" but they're pretty much the same, I got mine yesterday.

http://i54.tinypic.com/w6v0i.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/2e22g4o.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/ofpxep.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/ng4y7r.jpg[/QUOTE]

leowyatt
Feb 8, 2011, 08:38 AM
Does this sleeve add much bulk to the Air? I'm considering one for my 13" air.

Akira1980
Feb 8, 2011, 09:48 AM
Well, you guys convinced me. I just ordered mine. :)

BTW, I also got this messenger bag.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61590781/messenger-bag-for-11-macbook-air-dark?ref=pr_shop

Insilin1i
Feb 8, 2011, 10:09 AM
It doesn't add to much bulk. It fits the macbook air snuggly. Heres a comparison shot next to the air.

http://i53.tinypic.com/ajta90.jpg

cheapa55
Feb 8, 2011, 10:59 AM
Congrats Insillin! It's a great sleeve. My leather piece is a little lighter colored than yours but I like them all.

Regarding the thickness, I think on the website it says something about it being a 3mm thick. In fact it doesn't add bulk but it does make it feel safe inside the sleeve. It still feels extremely sleek and attractive.

Insilin1i
Feb 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
My only complaint is after using it today for the first time, the paint on the buttons rubbed right off because I set the air on top of them. :(

JPizzzle
Feb 8, 2011, 04:21 PM
What was shipping time like to the U.S.- I like in Philadelphia. Thanks

Trakker
Feb 8, 2011, 04:27 PM
Stunning case!

Insilin1i
Feb 8, 2011, 05:13 PM
It took about 8 days from the day I got the shipped email, but I'm in Toronto.

cheapa55
Feb 8, 2011, 05:34 PM
My only complaint is after using it today for the first time, the paint on the buttons rubbed right off because I set the air on top of them. :(

I had the same concern but I "accept" it now. I can't find an alternate solution. Velcro is out of the questions, magnets too. If it's metal, it will rub off unless it's aluminum, even that will scratch. My rubbed off too but I think the more we use it, it will create some "character" like the leather will. Maybe we can get an invisible shield for the buttons. :)

JPizzzle
Feb 8, 2011, 05:45 PM
It took about 8 days from the day I got the shipped email, but I'm in Toronto.

thx for the reply, can someone confirm shipping time to the US, east coast preferably.

Insilin1i
Feb 8, 2011, 06:57 PM
I had the same concern but I "accept" it now. I can't find an alternate solution. Velcro is out of the questions, magnets too. If it's metal, it will rub off unless it's aluminum, even that will scratch. My rubbed off too but I think the more we use it, it will create some "character" like the leather will. Maybe we can get an invisible shield for the buttons. :)

Ya, LOL. I don't mind. The overall product is amazing. Just unexpected when I saw it.

cheapa55
Feb 8, 2011, 11:01 PM
thx for the reply, can someone confirm shipping time to the US, east coast preferably.

Honestly shipping takes time. This took almost 10 days to CA and my iPhone sleeve took about 7 days when i ordered last year. It is coming from Germany though.

leowyatt
Feb 9, 2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks Insillin for the picture

JPizzzle
Feb 14, 2011, 12:07 AM
I think the gf is ordering me a dark wool with dark leather hampshire as a late vday gift :cool:!
excited!

cheapa55
Feb 14, 2011, 06:17 PM
I think the gf is ordering me a dark wool with dark leather hampshire as a late vday gift :cool:!
excited!

Congrats! You will love it. I'm so happy with mine that I can't wait to take the MBA out of the house each day.

solowmodel
Feb 14, 2011, 08:25 PM
Mine's in light grey.

Recommended product.

cheapa55
Feb 14, 2011, 10:41 PM
Mine's in light grey.

Recommended product.

Can you post a picture? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife's 13" MBA but not sure which color to get.

ton123
Feb 15, 2011, 04:32 AM
word of advice, be careful with the leather grip if you have the light brown pad
One drop of water / sweat will darken the colour....
Or in leather terms, its get patina real easy.
Mine has turned rather dark / orangey looks

That is the nature of the Vegetable tanned leather used in the pad..
Some people love the patina colour.. it gives a slight mature old used looks..
But if you prefer the original looks that it came with then make sure it stays out of water / sweat :)

JPizzzle
Feb 16, 2011, 08:30 AM
it looks like they're having a supply issue and won't be able to ship mine until mon or tues eh. Guess i'll have to pickup a bubble wrap packing slip until then hah

rudy44
Feb 16, 2011, 10:51 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgpynsmP9N1qdqao6o1_500.jpg

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgpyp3KvOH1qdqao6o1_500.jpg

i had one of these before i sold it off. i just dont like felt. but it is a beautiful sleeve. i say go for the dark color cos stains will probably be less visible.

cheapa55
Feb 17, 2011, 04:32 PM
FYI, MacWorld just posted their review:

http://www.macworld.com/article/157997/2011/02/pack_smooch_hampshire_sleeve_macbook_air.html?lsrc=rss_main

malikk
Feb 20, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hello,
I like these cases. I was wondering if anyone who has the MBA case has used the iphone "wallet". I was just wondering if it is an actual wallet? Or how it performs as a wallet? I know it is a iphone case but I thought maybe i could fit my ipod touch and some other cards/money to replace my wallet since I always have my wallet and ipod touch on me for the most part. Trying to get things i carry more consolidated in my pockets, haha.

cheapa55
Feb 20, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hello,
I like these cases. I was wondering if anyone who has the MBA case has used the iphone "wallet". I was just wondering if it is an actual wallet? Or how it performs as a wallet? I know it is a iphone case but I thought maybe i could fit my ipod touch and some other cards/money to replace my wallet since I always have my wallet and ipod touch on me for the most part. Trying to get things i carry more consolidated in my pockets, haha.

Malikk, the "wallet" case is what got me to order this case. Check out my review of the iPhone 4 wallet case. You can post questions on that thread and I'll try to respond or PM me.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1033055&highlight=pack+smooch

malikk
Feb 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
Does anyone here have the Speck See Thru Case for MBA and this sleeve? Was wondering how it still fits with it.

IngerMan
Feb 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
Mallikk,

I will let you know. I have the speck clear case and I ordered the pack & smooch case last night. So I hope the answer is yes it fits great.:D

malikk
Feb 21, 2011, 06:04 PM
Nice! I am looking forward to your results. I just ordered this sleeve. Hope it works with speck ... *fingers crossed*

JPizzzle
Mar 1, 2011, 07:24 AM
Hey all,
Just wondering how long it took for your packages to go through customs. Mine was shipped on 2/23 and at 2/25 dutsche post stated:

The item was handed over to the International Logistics Center Frankfurt on Feb 25, 2011 to be forwarded to United States of America.

USPS states:
We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.

No changes on either since 2/25. I live in Philadelphia, so I wouldn't think it would take too long after being released from customs (assuming it went over the Atlantic). Anyway, any feedback appreciated. Thx

matelot
Mar 1, 2011, 04:26 PM
where was it made ?

IngerMan
Mar 1, 2011, 04:32 PM
I ordered mine on the 21st and I got this email on the 26th, I think it says it shipped but there is no tracking number so I am holding on for another week. New York bound I hope.

der Status Ihrer Bestellung Nr. 641 hat sich gešndert.

Neuer Status ist:

Shipped

barebackbadger8
Mar 1, 2011, 04:50 PM
that as got to be the best case!
however the price is a bit steep, think ill be getting this:
http://bit.ly/foIdQ9
dependent on if i can ever decide on what MBA to get, i just can't make my mind up between the 11" and the 13"

ipearx
Mar 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
Can anyone answer this: Is it possible to fit the power supply in the side pocket or is it too big? I'm thinking for the 13" model in particular...

bmat
Mar 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
it fits on my 11, but looks sort of ugly with a bulge that way and was difficult to snap (and didn't even try to complete both sides). I personally just keep the adaptor loose in another part of my bag.

I think the sleeve is great, btw.

IngerMan
Mar 13, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have the 13 inch and the picture shows closed with the power adapter and refrigerator cord:rolleyes: If you break off the large cord and only take the small portion end, it would leave room for a backup drive, etc.... So the answer is Yes you can, and still a little room.:D

malikk
Mar 24, 2011, 08:48 AM
Been using this sleeve for about a week now and it is great if you need to carry a small notebook or backup hard drive around. Adding these things does add a little bulk, but also keeps it organized!

+1 for a win.

matelot
Mar 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
goddamn that's expensive....you get get a pair of good leather shoes for that money

YMark
Mar 24, 2011, 10:49 AM
you can get a pair of good leather shoes for that money

Fixed.

Beanoir
Mar 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
Fixed.

Well, you could get a good leather sleeve for that money.

I'm not a fan of the wool idea, looks a bit too "middle of the road", like a pair of dad's corduroy trousers, would suit a geography teacher perfectly.

But it's inoffensive and looks well made I guess, so thumbs up there.

danielveeee
Mar 28, 2011, 01:07 PM
Quick Question:is this case too big to carry it in a laptop compartment in a backpack?

Ill be using it as a stand alone some days and in a northface bag others.

Thanks !

Beau10
Mar 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
Anyone recently order one ( say over the past couple weeks) and receive a shipping notice? I'm going on 11 days since my order, it said 7-9 days backlog on Etsy.

IngerMan
Mar 28, 2011, 08:08 PM
Anyone recently order one ( say over the past couple weeks) and receive a shipping notice? I'm going on 11 days since my order, it said 7-9 days backlog on Etsy.

I got mine about 3 weeks ago. I received an email that the status changed to ship, a week after ordering it. Then it took a good 10 days from then.

rubberwheels
Mar 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
I admit this looks nice. Is there a case out there that's similar but it has handles? so it looks like a nice little briefcase thing. lol. i would get this if they added some handles or something similar.

jamesryanbell
Mar 29, 2011, 09:35 AM
I admit this looks nice. Is there a case out there that's similar but it has handles? so it looks like a nice little briefcase thing. lol. i would get this if they added some handles or something similar.

I was about to post the same thing. I need a small bag. Similar to a bible case or something.

IngerMan
Mar 29, 2011, 05:49 PM

sfbags.com Hardcase, maybe what your looking for. I have the small cargo with the sleeve. I use the pack and smooch just to take solo by itself. But my workday I travel in the sf cargo with sleeve. I have to keep a lot of work things with me during the day.

Beau10
Mar 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
I got mine about 3 weeks ago. I received an email that the status changed to ship, a week after ordering it. Then it took a good 10 days from then.

Thanks. Just got confirmation earlier today, so 12 days from order to ship currently (I guess now the message says 10-14, it said 7-9 when I ordered it).

rubberwheels
Mar 31, 2011, 11:57 PM
sfbags.com Hardcase, maybe what your looking for. I have the small cargo with the sleeve. I use the pack and smooch just to take solo by itself. But my workday I travel in the sf cargo with sleeve. I have to keep a lot of work things with me during the day.

The hardcase costs a lot man. That bag is something I'm looking for but more affordable and somewhat stylish.

Question about the bag: Will it fit other things besides a Macbook Air and the charger? Some notebooks too? If i end up getting this, i might use this as a portfolio and I'll carry it around. it's really stylish. Thanks!

ecib
Apr 1, 2011, 03:34 PM

Mine took quite a while to ship. I ordered it on the 5th, and it shipped on the 23rd February. I think I ordered it right at the time he was experiencing the largest delays.

I got an email from him stating, among other things:

"I am so sorry about that and I really had hard negotiations and talks with my supplier of wool felt. My supplier has some supply difficulties with the anthracite felt. As you maybe know the Merino wool felt comes from down under (Australia) where they had some big natural desasters (the big flood). This supposed to be the reason why the wool felt takes so long to come to Germany. But my supplier told me to be able to deliver mid next week. I will start production hopefully on friday and will produce the whole weekend so I can ship it out on monday or tuesday. "

So that kind of speaks to the backlog at the time. Part of the delay was also due to demand, so he's probably still playing catch-up. I would expect that yours will ship very shortly, -you won't have the long delays that I did because the supply portion of the delay should be taken care of by now I imagine. I received mine last month.

At any rate, the product is well worth it. The construction is excellent, and it looks amazing imho. The owner was quite good about keeping me in the loop with the delays, -great customer service. You're not going to be disappointed with your case.

Edit: Ack. Just saw your followup post :)

IngerMan
Apr 1, 2011, 03:48 PM
The hardcase costs a lot man. That bag is something I'm looking for but more affordable and somewhat stylish.

Question about the bag: Will it fit other things besides a Macbook Air and the charger? Some notebooks too? If i end up getting this, i might use this as a portfolio and I'll carry it around. it's really stylish. Thanks!

I am not sure which bag you are referring too? But SF does do a nice job on their website showing what components they can hold. IMO, the Cargo will hold much more then the hardcase.

I have the small cargo with sleeve. I carry charger cables few odds and ends in the front rounded pocket. A paper pad and few brochures in the back zipper pocket. The laptop in the main compartment. Not much room for more. That is what I like about it, small and light. I have larger bags for my needs.

You are not going to find one bag to suit all. Unless you get a large bag and don't mind hauling around bulk when you really do not need it. Start out with a $100 or less bag.

On the apple store the Thule 15" cross over looks like a great starter bag. It not huge but should meet your needs with the price. After time and money you can get a sleeve for Pack and Smooch and a few bags from SFBags.

JoganJani
Apr 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
I ordered mine on 29th and status says confirmed. I even mailed them to give me an estimate on shipping, no reply. Reading other posts I think I need to wait more.

rubberwheels
Apr 1, 2011, 11:04 PM
I am not sure which bag you are referring too? But SF does do a nice job on their website showing what components they can hold. IMO, the Cargo will hold much more then the hardcase.

I have the small cargo with sleeve. I carry charger cables few odds and ends in the front rounded pocket. A paper pad and few brochures in the back zipper pocket. The laptop in the main compartment. Not much room for more. That is what I like about it, small and light. I have larger bags for my needs.

You are not going to find one bag to suit all. Unless you get a large bag and don't mind hauling around bulk when you really do not need it. Start out with a $100 or less bag.

On the apple store the Thule 15" cross over looks like a great starter bag. It not huge but should meet your needs with the price. After time and money you can get a sleeve for Pack and Smooch and a few bags from SFBags.

Haha my mistake for not clarifying. I was asking about the Pack and Smooch bag. Will the 11" Pack and Smooch bag fit the Macbook Air and maybe a notebook and folders + charger? or does it only fit a macbook air and charger.

IngerMan
Apr 2, 2011, 08:29 AM
Haha my mistake for not clarifying. I was asking about the Pack and Smooch bag. Will the 11" Pack and Smooch bag fit the Macbook Air and maybe a notebook and folders + charger? or does it only fit a macbook air and charger.

I would say probably not. In the 13" as in my pictures I took, I can carry the full charger cables, maybe a few other small items. But I would not be able to add in a notebook as well. But if I am going out just for the day on a full charge, no need for the cables and I would be able to slide in a notebook in place of the charger.

Beau10
Apr 2, 2011, 10:35 AM
I would say probably not. In the 13" as in my pictures I took, I can carry the full charger cables, maybe a few other small items. But I would not be able to add in a notebook as well. But if I am going out just for the day on a full charge, no need for the cables and I would be able to slide in a notebook in place of the charger.

Does carrying a charger stretch out the pocket at all? I mean, does it return back once removed?

IngerMan
Apr 2, 2011, 10:55 AM
Does carrying a charger stretch out the pocket at all? I mean, does it return back once removed?

That would be one for the fabric experts. I am not sure how much wool can stretch beyond it's point of elasticity. I do not use this sleeve as an everyday tool. So I can not answer that with the use I experience. Usually just to shoot over a friends place and I do not take the charger with me.

Beau10
Apr 2, 2011, 12:36 PM
That would be one for the fabric experts. I am not sure how much wool can stretch beyond it's point of elasticity. I do not use this sleeve as an everyday tool. So I can not answer that with the use I experience. Usually just to shoot over a friends place and I do not take the charger with me.

Thanks. It would only be an every once in awhile thing for me as well.

Beau10
Apr 2, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mine took quite a while to ship...

Edit: Ack. Just saw your followup post :)

Ha, thanks for the info anyway, it was enlightening. Looks like shipment to SoCal takes roughly a week so I should have it in a few days.

rubberwheels
Apr 2, 2011, 01:15 PM
haha, i might get the 13" sleeve for my 11". so i can squeeze a notebook or two in.

cheapa55
Jun 1, 2011, 11:31 PM
If anyone is interested, I'm selling mine. I sold my macbook air so I won't be needing the sleeve anymore.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12662271&postcount=1

macses
Jul 31, 2011, 04:45 PM
ordered for my (not yet delivered) 2011 11" MBA :-)
thanks for the review!

DeusInvictus7
Jul 31, 2011, 05:15 PM
Just received mine the other day, and it is a very classy case! Very nice. I've never been a real fan of wool before, but for this case it's quite nice.

radiohead14
Jul 31, 2011, 05:16 PM
one thing i'm concerned about with wool - the bits of fur getting inside the vents and ports.

bmat
Jul 31, 2011, 05:22 PM
one thing i'm concerned about with wool - the bits of fur getting inside the vents and ports.

I've had one for a long time on my 2010, and there's no fur in any vents.