Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
Well, this is kind of interesting. I wonder if Apple would actually do this and include these chips in the new MBPs?

It just seems to me that many average customers might shy away from anything that has been categorized as a flaw. The other thing is, what if more issues show up down the road with these chips, that sounds like a recipe for a class-action lawsuit.

Roughly a week after announcing a design flaw in the "Cougar Point" chipset tied to its Sandy Bridge processor platform, Intel has announced it is resuming shipments of the defective part to manufacturers that plan to use it in systems that won't be affected by the glitch. Those systems could include "closed" notebook configurations using only the unaffected ports 0 & 1 (SATA III 6Gbps) as well as desktop PCs that ship with a PCI Express add-in card.

http://www.techspot.com/news/42310-intel-resumes-chipset-shipments-for-pcs-not-affected-by-flaw.html

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Only the SATA 3Gb/s ports are affected. Most likely Intel will just fix the SATA 3Gb/s controller and leave everything else like they are now so if there is an issue, it will be in both, "defective" and "fixed" chipset. Anyway, the SATA 3Gb/s issue is something Intel expected that less than 5% would get and even then, it would most likely take several years to happen.

There are always risks when you're buying man-made technology.

menomano

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
usa
The average consumer doesn't even know about this issue. People will buy laptops with or without the new chipset and that's it.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Are you suggesting that we start buying animal made technology?

Maybe he thinks machines would never make mistakes. :) However, since all the machines we currently use are designed and programed by man I think we'll still see the occasional flaw.

Cheers,

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Maybe he thinks machines would never make mistakes. :) However, since all the machines we currently use are designed and programed by man I think we'll still see the occasional flaw.

Cheers,

That's exactly what I mean. There may always be flaws when buying something that has been designed by another human being.

Intel could have just swiped this under the mat. Instead of that, they decided to replace all chipsets, resulting one billion $ loss in revenue (or what was it). Most companies would have just ignored an issue like that. Remember what NVidia did with 8600M GT fiasco? They are now replacing defective GPUs with defective GPUs. And that was after a law suit. What Intel did was the right move, I respect their choice.

Even though this issue does indeed suck, it doesn't mean that all Intel products are now flawed.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
What I think is funny about this whole chipset "fiasco" is that it seems like Intel is struck by its own bad karma for "unfairly" driving Nvidia out of the chipset business! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.