Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi there,
I need to shoot some half-hour presentations at a conference, that have to then be uploaded to an organization's web site that night.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Being a poor Googler, when I google and get results from 2007, I get frustrated.
I'd like the best quality I can get, with the proviso being that the camera should shoot in a format that web sites like, for quick upload. I don't want to have to import into my editing software and/or re-encode/compress.
Any advice would be appreciated!
malch

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I should have added... the camera also needs to have an audio-in jack, so I can feed better-than-camera-mic audio into it.
m.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
what do you use to edit? Every site uses its own thing. I know my work uses some weird settings. a web FLV file? (flash?)

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi there,
I use Avid Media Composer to edit, but my idea of getting a 'web-ready' camera was to able to put a raw, unedited version of a presentation or speech up on the web right away (an hour after the conference ends), just to get something up there. Basically, I was hoping for a camera that would shoot in a format, and would have whatever else it would need to have, so that right after the conference ends, I can just attach the camera to my laptop and upload the video file to the organization's website (or if it's easier, upload to YouTube, under this organization's account).
I would then be able to take my time, importing my good camera's footage (good camera is a Sony EX-1) into Avid, and editing it... adding a opening, adding text, cutting out pauses while someone drinks water, adding audience cutaways, etc.).
I was just looking at a Flip Ultra camera, which claims to be web-ready, but it doesn't seem to have an audio in jack anywhere (I would need this).

I have software, by the way (Episode) that I can use to convert H264 to flash or whatever else, but I was hoping to avoid any conversion/encoding/rendering steps for this get-it-onto-the-web version.
Regards,
malch

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Wow... this looks interesting, Keith. I will read up on it.
This would allow me to use my Canon HF-S100, I think (which has the audio in that I need to take an audio feed, or attach a good external mic), and get web-ready H264 on-the-fly.
Thanks for the suggestion,
malch

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Good idea, but I know I'll be getting audience cutaways and such with my EX-1, when speakers I don't need to record are talking; for these shots I'll need to be moving around the room. It might be best if I just left the Canon (on a tripod, connected via this Blackmagic device to my laptop) in place, as the dedicated recorder for these web-ready clips.
Thanks again for your help with this. I think it's the best idea I've seen so far.
malch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.