Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alienworkshoper

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
On that black cover thing that runs over and under the space where the screen connects to the computer. If I run my finger along it (applying hardly any pressure) It makes this clicking and creaking noise.

It also makes a similar noise when picking the laptop up from the back. DO they all do this?

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
On that black cover thing that runs over and under the space where the screen connects to the computer. If I run my finger along it (applying hardly any pressure) It makes this clicking and creaking noise.

It also makes a similar noise when picking the laptop up from the back. DO they all do this?

Mine does. That piece tends to fit kind of loose on most mbp's. You could get a genius to replace it, but there's no guarantee that the new one would not make that sound. Unless it bothers you all the time, I would leave it alone. Plastic flexes. And that black piece (the clutch) is all plastic.

Politis

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010

Thanks a bunch, now you got me running my finger along that black plastic cover. Yuk, it was dusty but only made one click. Are you the compulsive type?
I am kind of obsessed by the loose, louder click made every time I hit the space bar.

Jottle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2003
Very much the compulsive type. So I try to "live with" any defects in my computer gear. It's a way of teaching myself not to worry about minor things.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
On my 13" I had that problem, it was quite loose.
Since getting my 15" a while back, the clutch cover (It's what that piece is called) has been perfectly tight and nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.