PDA

View Full Version : instant on is really sweet

Acorn
Feb 9, 2011, 03:21 PM
im really shocked how fast the new air turns on. I actually went into settings and looked to see if it was even going to sleep because i thought just the screen was turning off it came on so fast.

really amazing.

monaarts
Feb 9, 2011, 03:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea. I turned my sleep to 1 minute on battery because it starts up so quickly. I love it.

ritmomundo
Feb 9, 2011, 03:57 PM
im really shocked how fast the new air turns on. I actually went into settings and looked to see if it was even going to sleep because i thought just the screen was turning off it came on so fast.

really amazing.

I don't understand the instant-on... Ive got a MBA 11 (bought 11/2010), and when I open the lid from sleep mode, it takes about 2-3 seconds for the screen to turn on, and another second or 2 before the trackpad responds. On my 'old' MBP 13 (2009), its pretty much the same, about 3 seconds. When I bought that MBP, they were also saying it had an instant-on-like feature, I dont remember if it was called the same or not. And that one doesnt even have an SSD. Even on my OLD dell laptop 700m that runs like crap now (bought in 2005 I think), it takes abt 3-4 seconds to turn on from sleep. So Im not really seeing the big deal here..... How is this something new and amazing?

Acorn
Feb 9, 2011, 04:01 PM
it does not turn on in 2 or 3 seconds. its like a second. and i have both a windows machine and a macbook pro and a macbook pro does not recover from sleep in 2 second. i call bs.

ritmomundo
Feb 9, 2011, 04:07 PM
it does not turn on in 2 or 3 seconds. its like a second. and i have both a windows machine and a macbook pro and a macbook pro does not recover from sleep in 2 second. i call bs.

I have no reason to make it up, and it doesnt really matter to me if you dont believe me.. I just dont understand how its called instant-on, when mine is really not "instant." It hadn't been since I bought it, I just assumed it was a marketing gimmick. My MBP really does take about 3 seconds. I just looked up the description from my old MBP, it also says "Instant-on LED Backlit Displays".. If the MBA is supposed to be faster, maybe I need to change some setting?

newagemac
Feb 9, 2011, 04:16 PM
Powering up from being completely off is where you see the huge difference on the Air. The boot up and shutdown times are amazing.

zenio
Feb 9, 2011, 04:22 PM
It's NOT instant on. Not even close.

What you are experiencing is dramatically faster boot tomes due the the SSD. All my computers PC or Mac do this.

Stetrain
Feb 9, 2011, 04:23 PM
I have no reason to make it up, and it doesnt really matter to me if you dont believe me.. I just dont understand how its called instant-on, when mine is really not "instant." It hadn't been since I bought it, I just assumed it was a marketing gimmick. My MBP really does take about 3 seconds. I just looked up the description from my old MBP, it also says "Instant-on LED Backlit Displays".. If the MBA is supposed to be faster, maybe I need to change some setting?

The "Instant-On Display" is talking about the time that the backlight takes to come on and warm up, which is much faster with LEDs than with the older style fluorescent tube backlights. It doesn't have anything to do with how quickly the computer itself recovers from sleep mode.

orfeas0
Feb 9, 2011, 04:46 PM
I just put my Toshiba qosmio f60-10k(2,4ghz i5, 6gb ram) running win7 64bit to sleep for 1min, woke it up and it opened in 4 seconds. and i use a 5400 drive, not even an ssd. my macbook pro 15" 2,4ghz c2d 2gb ram is waking up from sleep in ~2 seconds.
It astonishes me how people say the air takes 2-3 seconds to wake up from sleep, that's how much the macbook pros need. maybe the instant-on is a myth?

impulse462
Feb 9, 2011, 04:53 PM
The "Instant-On Display" is talking about the time that the backlight takes to come on and warm up, which is much faster with LEDs than with the older style fluorescent tube backlights. It doesn't have anything to do with how quickly the computer itself recovers from sleep mode.

Using this logic, every macbook since 2008 features "instant-on"

Instant-on is supposed to be how the iphone and ipad turn on from sleep mode. As said earlier, the macbook air "instant-on" is really dramatically reduced boot and load times due to the SSD.

Undo Redo
Feb 9, 2011, 04:55 PM
I think "instant on" and flash storage in general is over hyped. Sure, flash is faster but it's not jaw-dropping faster for everyday tasks. My MBP with a traditional hard drive wakes from sleep plenty fast enough and the difference in my new MBA is barely noticeable.

MacRuler
Feb 9, 2011, 05:01 PM
its all marketing ...apple saying things like -we used the ipad and learned the best things and what not....its all marketing but yea the ssd is amazing, but i had a ssd in my rev a macbook air. i almost the same start up times and i got the same "instant-on" times (which is total b.s) by the way.. all mac laptops start up just as fast. the only real thing i see improved is battery life and screen resolution which is why i upgraded.

Over Achiever
Feb 9, 2011, 05:34 PM
I put a SSD in my Windows tablet less than a year ago ... it boots up and is usable in 15 seconds, wakes from sleep in 1-2 seconds ... shuts down in 5 seconds ...

Same as the MBA. It's all about the SSD guys, with a little OS optimization. But it's the SSD.

linuxcooldude
Feb 9, 2011, 05:48 PM

I would say it has everything to do with waking from sleep. While LED screens light up very quickly it takes longer for some computers to catch up.

Instant on is more a marketing scheme where MacBook airs can go into standby mode for up to a month at a time. SSD does have a big effect in the instant on feature as a mechanical drive takes a while to spin back up to speed.

Well I would say a combination of things...SSD...LED screen...ect all have an effect with the instant on feature.

damnyooneek
Feb 9, 2011, 05:50 PM
I don't understand the instant-on... Ive got a MBA 11 (bought 11/2010), and when I open the lid from sleep mode, it takes about 2-3 seconds for the screen to turn on, and another second or 2 before the trackpad responds. On my 'old' MBP 13 (2009), its pretty much the same, about 3 seconds. When I bought that MBP, they were also saying it had an instant-on-like feature, I dont remember if it was called the same or not. And that one doesnt even have an SSD. Even on my OLD dell laptop 700m that runs like crap now (bought in 2005 I think), it takes abt 3-4 seconds to turn on from sleep. So Im not really seeing the big deal here..... How is this something new and amazing?

you can close the lid on the macbook air and it holds a charge for a month but with a mbp it dies in a day or two. so basically you dont need to worry about your computer dying if you dont shut it down.

Bakari45
Feb 9, 2011, 11:46 PM
its all marketing ...apple saying things like -we used the ipad and learned the best things and what not....its all marketing but yea the ssd is amazing, but i had a ssd in my rev a macbook air. i almost the same start up times and i got the same "instant-on" times (which is total b.s) by the way.. all mac laptops start up just as fast. the only real thing i see improved is battery life and screen resolution which is why i upgraded.

Exactly! Plus I got my first beach ball spin today while using iPhoto.

Atamagaii
Feb 10, 2011, 12:30 AM
Powering up from being completely off is where you see the huge difference on the Air. The boot up and shutdown times are amazing.

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised the other day when installing an update that the reboot took less time than my windows machine takes to awake from sleep!

Stetrain
Feb 10, 2011, 12:56 AM
Using this logic, every macbook since 2008 features "instant-on"

Instant-on is supposed to be how the iphone and ipad turn on from sleep mode. As said earlier, the macbook air "instant-on" is really dramatically reduced boot and load times due to the SSD.

I would say it has everything to do with waking from sleep. While LED screens light up very quickly it takes longer for some computers to catch up.

Instant on is more a marketing scheme where MacBook airs can go into standby mode for up to a month at a time. SSD does have a big effect in the instant on feature as a mechanical drive takes a while to spin back up to speed.

Well I would say a combination of things...SSD...LED screen...ect all have an effect with the instant on feature.

I wasn't talking about the Instant-on feature marketed in the current Macbook Airs. The post I quoted mentioned the "Instant-on LED Display" that Macbook Pros have listed in their specs for a while now. I was just pointing out that it isn't the same thing.

firewood
Feb 10, 2011, 01:37 AM
Devices with SSD storage don't have to wait for an HDD to start spinning, and then seek to the right track after the RPM is enough to lift the heads. That saves a second or two.