Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

002115-apple-tv-game-code-rmeng_500.jpg

Engadget reports that Apple's latest iOS 4.3 Beta actually includes hidden references to gaming on the Apple TV.
Several references have been found pertaining to "ATVGames" and "ATVThunder" that point to a controller of some sort, leaderboards (think Game Center), a way to schedule games (multiplayer?), and a store front (think App Store, iTunes).
Engadget speculates that the Apple TV could be used as a streaming gaming platform, similar to the OnLive service, where games are streamed rather than stored locally. The Apple TV does have some local storage (8GB) which is also used for the OS and video buffering.

The Apple TV relaunched in September with an all new compact design. The new Apple TV uses the same A4 processor as the iPhone and iPad and also shares the same operating system. Many expect the Apple TV to eventually get Apps like the other iOS devices, and it looks like Apple might have games specifically planned for the device.

Article Link: Apple TV As a Gaming Console?

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Maybe if they found some sort of niche.

But the gaming console is a tough place to break through.

The iPhone when it came out (and still is to a certain extent) was novel for its motion controls and touch sensitivity, and made a great place for portable gaming developers to expand.

Unless they have something wildly different than Wii, Xbox, and Playstation, I think it would be an uphill battle.

Do serious gamers really like to stream their games?

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Netflix seems to be broken on apple tv - many times it stutters or stalls. I have PS3 in same physical location and it does fine. I thought I had it working but I was wrong.

Apple needs some OS update to fix this.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
As long as there is no monthly service fee like onLive, this could be great.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Great..

Great... Now I'm going to have to buy a new touch screen TV to play games :mad:
Don't worry.. I'm just kidding

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
No. Nor general apps either...

Except for certain KINDS of games (non-timed puzzles with 4-way control, quiz/trivia/party games) and certain KINDS of apps (Hulu, video/music streaming, maps). Those would be a nice extra to have.

This could be expanded further with a special controller... but I don’t see one making sense unless it’s an iPod/iPhone you already have. Most AppleTV owners wouldn’t buy a special controller (unless Apple started bundling it) and then there’s little development incentive.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
iOS apps on AppleTV iOS 4.3

Using the iPhone as a "Wii" controller with its gyroscope for playing games, displaying applications on your AppleTV, etc. A lot of possibility.

Drew n macs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Netflix seems to be broken on apple tv - many times it stutters or stalls. I have PS3 in same physical location and it does fine. I thought I had it working but I was wrong.

I had the same problem I moved and since then ATV has been awesome...But this does not explain why your PS3 works well.

As far as ATV as gaming console I think it could work. What if you had apple tv for gaming console and ipod/phone or Ipad as a controller. Interesting.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

No problem here, 7 seconds and my netflix HD starts and never stops. :D
3 second delay for SD movies.

What I like to see is airplay working without having to have itunes open. Come on apple you can do better.

A lot of this is do to internet stability but I would like to see a bit more customization on apple part for the tv 2, its not a side thing any more apple people are taking it serious now. widgets with information and oh my lord multitasking would be nice. :cool:

tobiasfunke

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Wait, so it's $49 plus a 2 year cellular contract just for a game controller? :eek:

(okay, you can use an iPod Touch, but still more than a $29 console controller).

Think of it more as an Apple TV is a $99 gaming console for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad owners. I think it is a fantastic idea and would probably be the thing to make me finally break down and buy an Apple TV. I'd imagine the face time cameras could be used as well, turn the camera into a Kinect? Augmented Reality games?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wait, so it's $49 plus a 2 year cellular contract just for a game controller? :eek:

(okay, you can use an iPod Touch, but still more than a $29 console controller).

You don't have to get an AppleTV2 or an iPod Touch or iPhone, but for those that have them it's a great idea. For those who don't, an iPod touch would suffice. Better than Wii - Netflix, ITMS, WiFi Airplay with any iOS 4.x.x firmware, and now iOS applications and possible "Wii"-esque gaming using your iDevice to control the game through your WiFi and AppleTV 2 connection.

Pretty fun and creative ideas. Heck, Pages, Numbers, Email - could be used wirelessly. Use your iPad to edit/produce wirelessly through your AppleTV on your big screen from your couch/living room. ATV Flash has Couchsurfer for web browsing on your TV, Nito, XMBC - add a bluetooth dongle to the USB on your AppleTV, pair a wireless keyboard or iPad, open an App such as pages, and your TV becomes a full fledged, large screen web browser/Netflix/ITMS/Entertainment/Business system.

So either:
1. Use your iDevice with your AppleTV 2
2. Use ATV Flash and a bluetooth dongle for a keyboard/mouse
3. None of the above as it may not be for everyone

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
i think using one of the idevices as a controller, possibly even as a second screen for maps/quest logs/as a "memory card", is all theyd need to do. surely that is the most logical direction.

as for netflix- it used to stutter for me all the time too, but it did it on the wii as well... only thing that it worked on was a sony BD player... now it has been working fine on the atv2

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
i say apple should go for it. they already have the gaming momentum on the handheld ios devices so people are beginning to get brand recognition. if they dethroned the psp and ds why not tackle the wii etc?

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only way this would ever happen is if they made a controller with physical buttons. If you are going to use an iPod or whatever as a controller, you would have to look at it to play, which kinda defeats the purpose. Sure you could use the sensors in it for games, but other than dancing games and balance games (like super monkey ball), I cannot see anything else worth playing.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only way this would ever happen is if they made a controller with physical buttons. If you are going to use an iPod or whatever as a controller, you would have to look at it to play, which kinda defeats the purpose. Sure you could use the sensors in it for games, but other than dancing games and balance games (like super monkey ball), I cannot see anything else worth playing.

Exactly - consoles have controllers with real buttons (as well as gaming portables).

The post did mention a possibility of an Apple Gaming Controller - the Pippin had one as well as the Apple II... ;)

snova

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011

yesterday, news when out about controller that plugs into the standard iPod Touch/iPhone connector to extend the iPod Touch/iPhone. That seems like the way to go. It believe it was called the "iControlPad".

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Apple TG Gamer Edition

Apple TV could certainly be rolled out in an extreme gamer edition AGT!:eek:

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
iPhones being thrown at TVs.

Strap bands attached to cases? Lame.

Everyone but the consumer wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.