Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.pony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
hi everyone,

i currently have to transcribe several hours of audio recordings to text. As the recordings are of very bad quality, i need to jump back a few seconds very, very often. Of course the f7, f8, and f9 keys are a huge help, there are two things though that drive me mad... and since i will be working on this for a couple of weeks to come i thought there might be someone here who can resolve it.

1) can i tell vlc to use the skip forward/backward keys ONLY for jumping within, and not between tracks? The current setup is that if i press the key for half a second too short, it jumps to the previous track or to the beginning of that track if there is no playlist, which is massively annoying.

In the "hotkeys" section of the settings there is only mention of the "normal" not of the function keys and as far as i know, itunes has the same problem.

2) the default jump vlc does, when i manage to press the key right is 10 seconds. most of the time however, i only need to skip back 2 or 3 seconds. is it possible to change that?

i do not insist on using vlc, so if anyone can recommend me a player that does all these things, i would be just as happy. the files are in wma-format, and i currently do not have any converter program, so i would gladly take suggestions for that too.

another (very minor, compared to the others) problem is that everytime i press the play-key, itunes starts up and begins playback. for now i have managed to circumvent this by selecting an empty playlist, but surely there must be a way to get it to stop doing that.

i know these are a lot of questions at once but i will be extremely grateful for any help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.