Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawse771

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Ft. Worth
Is it normal that I would receive a spinning beachball thing quite frequently and sometimes for a minute or two solid while changing chapters on an E-textbook for my business class? I didn't think an e-book (nook study app) would use that much Ram and/or CPU? When this happens I normally only have the ebook app open or possibly safari as well...no heavy multi-tasking.

I have a 13" MBP 2.4GHZ/4GB Ram with the base HDD (got the $999 deal from Microcenter like a month ago so its still new without a bunch of software/crap loaded on it).

Is there anything I should check for? Do I need to upgrade to 8GB of ram just for this?!? I know the C2D is dated but this is definitely not something that should tax this computer that much

TIA

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Well, whenever I hear "slow w/lots of spinning beach balls," I think bad HD or nowhere near enough RAM. With 4GB, you're probably fine on RAM, so the next thing to check is for signs of HD issues. Open up console and watch one of these files:

/var/log/system.log (10.5 and older)
/var/log/kernel.log (10.6)

If you see anything that looks like:

disk0s2: I/O error

then suspect your internal hard drive.

Otherwise, watch Activity Monitor to see what's being used while you're waiting.

hawse771

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Ft. Worth
Well, whenever I hear "slow w/lots of spinning beach balls," I think bad HD or nowhere near enough RAM. With 4GB, you're probably fine on RAM, so the next thing to check is for signs of HD issues. Open up console and watch one of these files:

/var/log/system.log (10.5 and older)
/var/log/kernel.log (10.6)

If you see anything that looks like:

disk0s2: I/O error

then suspect your internal hard drive.

Otherwise, watch Activity Monitor to see what's being used while you're waiting.

I don't see any type of Disk error. Whenever I am changing chapters it just sais "stuck waiting to render" with some numbers etc.

Under activity monitor it shows it using 99% of CPU when the beachball is spinning

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
So, it is in fact processing something. Check for a software update to your reader, or contact the developers.

hawse771

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2010
Ft. Worth
So, it is in fact processing something. Check for a software update to your reader, or contact the developers.

I checked for an update already, but good idea on contacting the developer. Its Nook Study so it must be owned by Barnes and Noble...surprised they would overlook something like this. Hopefully I get a response back from them and some sort of progress because it is extremely annoying, especially when in class trying to flip to a certain chapter real quick to keep up with the teacher etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.