Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBMAC11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I just got my Mac last night and while setting it up I grabbed the icon to the left of the trash can and pulled it up letting it go and its gone. Not sure what it was. I have the applications and document folders both there but wasnt sure if it was something i needed to worry about. when you do that does it go into the trash can?

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
I just got my Mac last night and while setting it up I grabbed the icon to the left of the trash can and pulled it up letting it go and its gone. Not sure what it was. I have the applications and document folders both there but wasnt sure if it was something i needed to worry about. when you do that does it go into the trash can?

Maybe it was the Downloads folder?

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
You didn't lose the folder, just its icon on the dock.

Click the search tool (upper right; magnifying glass icon), type 'Downloads' to search for the Downloads folder. When you see the folder, click on it to open it.

This should open a new window with photo/icon of folder and the word 'Downloads' on top (and the contents of the folder inside this window). Click on the folder icon and drag it down to the dock wherever you want it. It will now stay on the dock.

JBMAC11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Thank You that worked thought it may have been something important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.