Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
London, UK
As title i have an MBP with SSD and Optibay combo.

I want to enable a guest account but limit the Optibay drive access to the Guest User.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance :apple:

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
Wouldn't it be easier to partition your main HDD, add a small section for guests, move the guest home folder and other extensions to the partitioned drive and then password protect the other partition?

Not sure if this is the most simple way, but it's what I can think of at the moment and without needing to remove the ODD.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
As title i have an MBP with SSD and Optibay combo.

I want to enable a guest account but limit the Optibay drive access to the Guest User.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance :apple:

I think it depends on how you have your files organized, and which drive you have in the optibay.

g33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
London, UK
MBP 13" vertex 2e and standard 250gb 5400rpm drive in the optibay

dont know how that helps though

brandone

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
San Francisco
Im not sure if this will work, but it has to do with permissions. If you are trying to block a whole drive, it doesn't matter what drive contains the OS.

1.Goto Finder
2.Right click drive you want "blocked"
3.Click Get Info
4.Click lock at bottom right
5.Enter User info of an Admin account
6.Press the + symbol in the bottom left corner
7.Select the "Guest" account under users and groups
8.Click select
9.Click the "Privilege" of the Guest account and set it to No Access
10.Now click the "Gear" icon to the right of the + symbol and select "Apply to Enclosed Items"
11.Click the lock
12.Exit the Get Info window

This should work. If the Hard drive that you are "blocking" contains the application folder, this could be a problem. In this case, skip step 10. Good luck and please report your findings.

g33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
London, UK
Im not sure if this will work, but it has to do with permissions. If you are trying to block a whole drive, it doesn't matter what drive contains the OS.

1.Goto Finder
2.Right click drive you want "blocked"
3.Click Get Info
4.Click lock at bottom right
5.Enter User info of an Admin account
6.Press the + symbol in the bottom left corner
7.Select the "Guest" account under users and groups
8.Click select
9.Click the "Privilege" of the Guest account and set it to No Access
10.Now click the "Gear" icon to the right of the + symbol and select "Apply to Enclosed Items"
11.Click the lock
12.Exit the Get Info window

This should work. If the Hard drive that you are "blocking" contains the application folder, this could be a problem. In this case, skip step 10. Good luck and please report your findings.

Thanks for that

I got to step 7 and seems that i cant view the option for "Guest' i can only see Me and administrators. ( have the guest account enabled)

Anyhow i applied the lock to certain folders which should be ok i guess.

brandone

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
San Francisco
Thanks for that

I got to step 7 and seems that i cant view the option for "Guest' i can only see Me and administrators. ( have the guest account enabled)

Anyhow i applied the lock to certain folders which should be ok i guess.

Try following my instructions again, but instead of modifying the Guest account, make the changes to the "Everyone" account. Make sure that your user account is listed there with full access. Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.