Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carljepp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
So here's the deal. I've had a 2nd gen iTouch for a while now and its the 16gb model. However, it's gone through a lot. The battery doesn't last as long any more, the screen is cracked and now the headphone jack crapped out. One of my buddy's has 2nd generation 8gb iTouch he's willing to sell me. He says it works fine but I don't really want to lose the extra storage. Is there anyway I could get a working 16gb iTouch using both ipods? I realize it uses flash memory and all. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,
Carl

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Well...assuming you are 'handy with tools' you should be able to open both and take out his iPod Touch's 'guts' and replace them with yours, keping his headphone jack, battery and screen intact of course.

I'm not an expert, but I assume the basic 'mother' board would be removable and swappable with some prior experience with electronic repair.

If this doesn't look daunting, give it a shot:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...r_down_with_high_quality_internal_photos.html

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
The internals can be swapped pretty easily, the battery is soldered to the board but they are pretty easy to remove/replace if you can use a soldering iron. Headphone jack is also attached to the board so you are gonna have a lot of work changing out items and the digitizer is pretty hard to get off without damaging it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.