Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeanD3feat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I can't suppress my dissapointment any longer. I love OS X but even with my fully upgraded iMac I'm seeing the 'spinning Beach-ball' quite often. For example when loading iPhoto, or when just trying to load apps in general. A friend of mine has a G4 cube (450MHz-1.5gb-120gb os x)and I don't recall ever seeing the beach-ball while waiting for iPhoto etc to load on her machine.
Am I just being paranoid? Is there something I can do to improve the performance of my machine or is this the norm for the iMac? I'm not whining just for the sake of it-I really was expecting more, especially considering what the system has cost.
The specs of my iMac are in my sig. I was thinking maybe I should reinstall the OS or something but I've just put 9Gig of tunes on and all my photos and i don't have a backup drive :(
Any advice you guys can offer would really be appreciated!!! :confused:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Have you set the Processor Performance to 'Highest'?
Not Automatic...

It's in System Preferences>Energy Saver...

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
Hi,

Have you repaired permissions as well? That's always a good thing to do. Also, take a look in your Console log (Applications/Utilities) to see if there's anything strange in there. I have a dual 2 GHz G5, and iPhoto 05 was dog slow on it. I stopped by an Apple store and talked to a Genius, who told me that it seemed that iPhoto was having trouble "finding" my images. As it turned out, I had a Pictures folder on a second hard drive; once I renamed that (and deleted the iPhoto preference file) iPhoto came back to life, and has ben working fine ever since.

There are also three maintenance scripts that run if you leave your Mac on 24/7, which most people tend not to. You can run them manually, as follows:

Open up Terminal (that's in the Utilities folder along with Console) and type the following (it's case sensitive):

sudo etc/Daily

and press enter. You'll be prompted for your Admin password. Once that finishes type in:

sudo etc/Weekly

and press enter. That script will take a little longer to run. When it finishes type in"

sudo /etc/Monthly

and hit enter one more time. Once that finishes type exit to quit Terminal. Now would also be a good time to repair permissions. Once that's done, reboot, and see how things are running now. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc

MeanD3feat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Yes, I've got processor performance on High, and hard disk to sleep never and its a new machine.
Just tried to do the terminal thing, it's so polite, lol put a big grin on my face.
Simple pleasures and all that. Anyway I think I must've entered the password wrong because I couldnt see what I was typing (or even how many characters there were) and then (after severl attempts with deleting things I couldn't see) it said
sudo: etc/Daily: command not found
So I think it doesn't like me anymore though.
I'm chuffed how neat is the 'I assume your system admin... blah blah"
That will keep me satisfied for a week! Never saw anything like that on Windows. :D :D :D :D :D

MeanD3feat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
It was ok, you left out the / between sudo and etc on the first two. Got there in the end! Thanks very much. A quick google of disk permissions and I've done that and hopefully I'll have a zippy new iMac :D
Thanks very much, I'll posta gain to let you know how I get on.

MeanD3feat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
HELL YEAH THAT BEACH BALL IS OUTTA HERE!!!!!

thanks very much, your advice was appreciated and has swayed one very hesitant and disappointed switcher, sad I know but I was beginning to think it was all looks and no brains!!

The difference, is amazing, I know I haven't really done that much to the iMac but everything seems so much smoother!! :eek:
<dorky brand worshipping> Go Apple :D </dorky brand worshipping>

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
FYI, you should really run the maintenance scripts using periodic and not just run them directly. periodic will setup the correct output logs.

sudo periodic daily
sudo periodic weekly
sudo periodic monthly

are the correct commands to run.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
MeanD3feat said:
HELL YEAH THAT BEACH BALL IS OUTTA HERE!!!!!

thanks very much, your advice was appreciated and has swayed one very hesitant and disappointed switcher, sad I know but I was beginning to think it was all looks and no brains!!

The difference, is amazing, I know I haven't really done that much to the iMac but everything seems so much smoother!! :eek:
<dorky brand worshipping> Go Apple :D </dorky brand worshipping>

You should get OnyX to help you with keeping your system clean. I run it every week or so and/or right after a program install. It does everything from repairing permissions to optimizing your system and keeps things smelling rosey....or something like that... :D

Download it here....its FREE....http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.