Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Over the last month I have started to notice that when the battery runs out on my 13" MBA (latest iteration) the computer completely dies instead of going into the deep sleep state.

When I restart the machine it boots as if I had shut down the machine. The clock and date are put back to some random date in the past and machine cannot remember the wifi password which I have to reenter and save.

I have reset the PRAM and NVRAM (command + option + PR) as advised through the support document to no avail.

This is a now a reproducible problem that occurs every-time the machine runs out of battery.

My understanding was that when the MBA has its battery drained from normal use it is simply meant to enter a deep sleep state and not completely die.

Is anybody else facing this issue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have reset the PRAM and NVRAM (command + option + PR) as advised through the support document to no avail.
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with power, batteries or charging. You need to reset the SMC, instead. See the CHARGING section of the FAQ below.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.