Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benavery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
G'day folks,

First time here so be gentle!

I have bought an old 17" iMac G5 running at 1.9Ghz and have installed a fresh copy of OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard).

I would like to use the G5 as a very simple media player for my bedroom and have lots of content already on my network in HD 720p mkv format. I am wondering if the G5 is up to the task of playing these files smoothly and if so how?

I have tried the following but had very chooppy results with video and sometimes also audio:

• Installing Perian and playing in Quicktime / Front Row
  • Installing VLC player
  • Installing MPlayer
What can I do to play these files, or is is it simply a case of having to reconvert all content to another format?

Regards

Ben

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You may have to convert to another format. PPC Macs don't generally like HD video to begin with unless you're looking at one of the midrange or above PM G5s. I'd try converting one to .m4v or whatever the iTunes format is and try to play that. If it's still choppy, you may be out of luck.

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
What version of Mplayer? You could try Mplayer OSX Extended. It gives you a few more options to play with. Or if you're really adventurous you could try mplayer from the command line and use arguments like -really-quiet, -framedrop, and -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all.

benavery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
I downloaded whatever the latest version was of both VLC and Mplayer.

If I need to convert, what would be the most CPU friendly format to use?

Also, I would be more than happy to re-encode in DVD resolution for viewing on the G5. Would that make the video a lot easier to handle? Again if so, which format, MPEG-2? MPEG-4? MOV? DIVX?

Thanks for your help guys?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.