Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rav16

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
hello guys and gals

iam new to the forum and new to apple since from day 1 i have been a windows user happy with windows also. i have never used any apple product in my life but after playing with the macbook air 11 i felt in love with the machine and iam planning to buy it since i travel extensively concering my work . the size and weight is also something which i love other then looks . i tried some windows machines like acer and sony but the mouse pad and the screen quality and hardware quality is just horrible , cheap and too much clicky and they chunky compared to the air.
now the mess is iam from india and in india apple products are expensive say like 300$US more then hong kong and usa.

since i might visit hong kong i might pick 1 from there. in this case does apple gives me a global warranty? can i service my laptop in india incase i have some issues with it ?

and can i get a base model with 4gb ram in stores in hong kong ? i cant order it online since i will be just there for maybe 2 or 3 days so i think will be difficuilt for apple to even deliver it to me nor i have anybody who i know who can order that for me in advance or any idea they deliver in that time frame (2 days) ?

i will be using macbook air mainly for web browisng with multiple windows open at the same time some flash videos like youtube ,light photoshop work nothing hardcore and yes watch movies on it and mainly use skype to chat with my wife when iam travelling . do u think 2gb ram will be more then enough for me ? or a 4gb is must for me ?

i hope some 1 can help me here since iam not a tech savy and geek . thanx in advance .

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Many Apple stores do stock "ultimate" configurations which have everything upgraded. They likely do not stock any with ONLY the RAM upgraded. I would just ask. If you are really only using it for some web browsing, 2 GB should be fine. However, you may want to consider that the RAM is not upgradable in the future, so you might want to just get 4 GB in case you change your mind later down the road.

rav16

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Many Apple stores do stock "ultimate" configurations which have everything upgraded. They likely do not stock any with ONLY the RAM upgraded. I would just ask. If you are really only using it for some web browsing, 2 GB should be fine. However, you may want to consider that the RAM is not upgradable in the future, so you might want to just get 4 GB in case you change your mind later down the road.
thanx for replying . but any idea if they have a ultimate model in hong kong stores ? or you just get that in usa ?

kyle.c

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Hi Im from Hong Kong and probably I could give you some insights

First of all, there is no apple store in here (apart from online store)

there is only retail store that sells Mac physically

and all Mac is standard config that means no ultimate mba could be pick up instantly

the apple warranty is globally covered as far as I am aware of

and HK is one of the cheapest place to get a Mac in the world!

p.s. If you decided to buy a Mac in HK, take a look at apple HK site and check out the "premium reseller" list

FilipH

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Apple Land
Hi Im from Hong Kong and probably I could give you some insights

First of all, there is no apple store in here (apart from online store)

there is only retail store that sells Mac physically

and all Mac is standard config that means no ultimate mba could be pick up instantly

the apple warranty is globally covered as far as I am aware of

and HK is one of the cheapest place to get a Mac in the world!

p.s. If you decided to buy a Mac in HK, take a look at apple HK site and check out the "premium reseller" list

The above is correct, but be carefull where you buy one though. I used to live in China and bought an MBA in Hongkong (revison A). Don't remember the shop name, but it was in Tsim Sha Tsui very close to the ferry terminal that takes you to HK island (in a small shopping mall on 1st floor).

Each MBA i opened i found serious faults in it, either dead pixels, dents,etc. Turns out they keep the good ones for local people, and try to sell the returned items to tourists.

Personally i would buy it for ex. in the IFC tower on HK island, they seem more serious to me. Sham Shui Po , Golden arcade is great for games, but wouldn't spent MBA money there.

kkel19

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
I would never buy any expensive computer hardware in Sham Shui Po...its just too shady and oh trust me all sales are final..probably only legit one I would trust is fortress or broadway. (even though they are more expensive)

rav16

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
The above is correct, but be carefull where you buy one though. I used to live in China and bought an MBA in Hongkong (revison A). Don't remember the shop name, but it was in Tsim Sha Tsui very close to the ferry terminal that takes you to HK island (in a small shopping mall on 1st floor).

Each MBA i opened i found serious faults in it, either dead pixels, dents,etc. Turns out they keep the good ones for local people, and try to sell the returned items to tourists.

Personally i would buy it for ex. in the IFC tower on HK island, they seem more serious to me. Sham Shui Po , Golden arcade is great for games, but wouldn't spent MBA money there.

is dg lifestyle a good place to buy macbook air ?

vanwel

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
is dg lifestyle a good place to buy macbook air ?

I live in Singapore and was visiting Hong Kong this week. My friend in Hong Kong went to DG Lifestyle in the IFC mall to put in a deposit for me one week ago to hold the ultimate 11.6 for me, they had one in stock.
Two days ago I picked it up. I checked it in store to make sure it had no faults. Luckily it didn't. But I had to pay full amount before they wanted to open it for me. If there would have been a problem (depending on the severity I guess), they might not have taken it back and I would have needed to contact Apple directly. I didn't really like that non-service, but I guess that's the policy. Anyway, it was perfect (touch wood). It's just a place to buy your Mac, nothing more, nothing less. Not a dodgy/shady place at least.

rav16

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
I live in Singapore and was visiting Hong Kong this week. My friend in Hong Kong went to DG Lifestyle in the IFC mall to put in a deposit for me one week ago to hold the ultimate 11.6 for me, they had one in stock.
Two days ago I picked it up. I checked it in store to make sure it had no faults. Luckily it didn't. But I had to pay full amount before they wanted to open it for me. If there would have been a problem (depending on the severity I guess), they might not have taken it back and I would have needed to contact Apple directly. I didn't really like that non-service, but I guess that's the policy. Anyway, it was perfect (touch wood). It's just a place to buy your Mac, nothing more, nothing less. Not a dodgy/shady place at least.

any idea if they have the base model with 4gb ram ? and if u dont mind how much is the cost for the ultimate model ?

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
I bought a MBA 13 4GB in HK, looked around for quite a bit, ended up ordering online in the HK store.

Apple carries worldwide warranty.

rav16

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
I bought a MBA 13 4GB in HK, looked around for quite a bit, ended up ordering online in the HK store.

Apple carries worldwide warranty.[/QUO
in how many days did apple delivered it to u ? the thing is tht i wont be there for more then 2 days , is the delivery fast enough?

anand.rohira

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
macbook air purchase from hongkong

any idea if they have the base model with 4gb ram ? and if u dont mind how much is the cost for the ultimate model ?

dude check this out for list of resellers and premium resellers in hongkong....also there are abt 4 stores in HONG KONG airport selling macbook air !!

even I am from india , and macbooks here are damm expensive !! i will also be purchasing a macbook air 13 inch base model from hongkong when i go there in march first week !!
cant wait for my first mac !!

i needed to know a few things:
1. when i buy a macbook air13 , i get a sealed box, right ..so why is it mentioned in this forum, that the stores try to stick the defective pieces to tourist !! since its seal;ed, they must themsleves not knwing whether the piece inside has a dead pixel or not !!
also which is a better place to buy mac book air from hong koing airport ? DG LIFESTYLE STORE or FORTRESS ?
any discounts do they give ?

http://www.apple.com/hk/en/reseller/index.php

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007

HK is one of the worst places for getting exchange/refund. Buy it there at your own risk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.