PDA

View Full Version : hoping to get a base air 11 for $650 realistic?

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:02 PM
I want to get one mid to late March.

MacDawg
Feb 11, 2011, 08:04 PM
Where do you plan to get it?

GGJstudios
Feb 11, 2011, 08:04 PM
Not a chance, unless it's used or damaged.

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Where do you plan to get it?
online somewhere. Ebay or craigslist. Have found one for $630 on ebay but I'm sure it'll get bidded up.

Not a chance, unless it's used or damaged.

Damn... :(

MacDawg
Feb 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
online somewhere. Ebay or craigslist. Have found one for $630 on ebay but I'm sure it'll get bidded up.

Not likely at that price unless you get a shady deal

GGJstudios
Feb 11, 2011, 08:10 PM
What makes you think you can get one at that price when new ones start at $999, education discount starts at $949 and refurbished units start around $849?

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:12 PM
Not likely at that price unless you get a shady deal

Im in nyc. Should I go talk to a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who robbed some guys? I'm pretty close to the hood, I wonder how often these thugs steal laptops...

What makes you think you can get one at that price when new ones start at $999, education discount starts at $949 and refurbished units start around $849?

Lol idk just being hopeful. The internet is vast, maybe there's someone out there who doesn't know at what price to resell apple laptops.

Meh I'll keep a look out come mid march...

Apple OC
Feb 11, 2011, 08:16 PM
Im in nyc. Should I go talk to a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who robbed some guys? I'm pretty close to the hood, I wonder how often these thugs steal laptops...

just often enough for you to get busted buying hot goods ... or worse robbed of your $650

GGJstudios
Feb 11, 2011, 08:19 PM
Lol idk just being hopeful. The internet is vast, maybe there's someone out there who doesn't know at what price to resell apple laptops.

Meh I'll keep a look out come mid march...
The difference between what you want to pay and a new one is $350, which is about 3 weeks of part-time work (20 hours/wk) at minimum wage, after taxes. Does that spark any ideas?

racer1441
Feb 11, 2011, 08:21 PM
"what can of Mac air can I get for $650?"

"stolen"

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
The difference between what you want to pay and a new one is $350, which is about 3 weeks of part-time work (20 hours/wk) at minimum wage, after taxes. Does that spark any ideas?

Lol I'm not paying 1grand for an ultraportable. $650 is already pushing it.

GGJstudios
Feb 11, 2011, 08:24 PM
Then buy a PC. There are plenty for $650 or less.

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
Then buy a PC.

Its either one of the new amd fusion netbooks or this and I much prefer this...

Currently texting a girl from my class who has one. She wants $800:mad:

GGJstudios
Feb 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Its either an and fusion netbook or this and I much prefer this...

Sorry, that's the way life works. You can't always get what you want, just because you want it. If you want the MBA, earn it!

alust2013
Feb 11, 2011, 08:31 PM
Its either one of the new amd fusion netbooks or this and I much prefer this...

The price is the price. Not going to be easy to find something marked down 35%

torbjoern
Feb 11, 2011, 08:32 PM

That just means you don't want it enough - so don't buy it then. It's a free country.

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Sorry, that's the way life works. You can't always get what you want, just because you want it. If you want the MBA, earn it!

I usually get what I want. Come next month maybe the price of current airs will go down amid rumors of sandy bridge upgrades. I think I can make it happen. I'll bump this thread when I do. :D

MacDawg
Feb 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
I usually get what I want. Come next month maybe the price of current airs will go down amid rumors of sandy bridge upgrades. I think I can make it happen. I'll bump this thread when I do. :D

Good luck
It's not impossible

GGJstudios
Feb 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, you keep believin' that! :rolleyes:

Apple OC
Feb 11, 2011, 08:36 PM

this could be the start of you not getting what you want ... late 2010 MBAs for $650 will not be seen until 2012 :cool:

torbjoern
Feb 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
If someone else out there is willing to pay her $800 for it, why on earth would she sell it to anyone for $650? Doesn't make sense to me at all!

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:38 PM
Good luck
It's not impossible
Thanks.
Yeah, you keep believin' that! :rolleyes:

Lol I hate you!

Look I didn't want to offend anyone. I'm just not willing to pay that much for it because I donít really need it. Just wanted something light for school.

Doc750
Feb 11, 2011, 08:39 PM
it's $850 on the refurb store.

knock off a convenience store for the remaining $200.

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:41 PM
If someone else out there is willing to pay her $800 for it, why on earth would she sell it to anyone for $650? Doesn't make sense to me at all!

She's kind of a ditz. I'm still hoping to convince her out of it maybe when the new pros come out. We almost hooked up at a party a few weeks ago so maybe I can cloud her judgment somehow :cool:

Apple OC
Feb 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
She's kind of a ditz. We almost hooked up at a party a few weeks ago

you're right ... she is a bit of a ditz

GGJstudios
She's kind of a ditz. I'm still hoping to convince her out of it maybe when the new pros come out. We almost hooked up at a party a few weeks ago so maybe I can cloud her judgment somehow :cool:
I fear for the future of the human race. Definitely NOT ":cool:"

torbjoern
I'm just not willing to pay that much for it because I donít really need it. Just wanted something light for school.
So you want it but you don't need it? No wonder you're unwilling to pay the market price for it... But there are always solutions to this kind of problems. How about getting a credit card? Then you can buy things you don't need with money you don't have. :D

MacDawg
Feb 11, 2011, 08:46 PM

You lost whatever good will you had with me right there...

gonnabuyamacbsh
Feb 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
you're right ... she is a bit of a ditz

I fear for the future of the human race. Definitely NOT ":cool:"

So you want it but you don't need it? No wonder you're unwilling to pay the market price for it... But there are always solutions to this kind of problems. How about getting a credit card? Then you can buy things you don't need with money you don't have. :D

You lost whatever good will you had with me right there...

Oh jeez. I'm done lol.

Bakari45
Feb 11, 2011, 08:53 PM
Well, according to one of the Macrumor ads, you can get an iPad for $24.95, so I guess anything is possible. I agree, though, that Apple products are way too high, especially given the companyís profit margins for their stockholders.

torbjoern
Feb 11, 2011, 08:54 PM
Oh jeez. I'm done lol.

Seems like you finally got the response you wanted. I'll see you under the bridge in a couple of hours :cool:

acedickson
Feb 11, 2011, 10:13 PM

Ruphylin will just get you jail time.

I won't say it's impossible at $650 either but $800 is a really nice price for one, I'd pay it.

axu539
Feb 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
I actually just saw a brand new base 11" air on Craigslist today. Sealed new in box for $800. The guy realized he didn't want an ultraportable and probably waited too long to return it. I didn't verify if it was legit, but he had pics of the machine (well, the box with shrink wrap).

J&JPolangin
Feb 11, 2011, 11:47 PM
I actually just saw a brand new base 11" air on Craigslist today. Sealed new in box for $800. The guy realized he didn't want an ultraportable and probably waited too long to return it. I didn't verify if it was legit, but he had pics of the machine (well, the box with shrink wrap).

...if its sealed new in the box still just return it for full price... even taking the 10% restocking fee would still net you more than selling it for $800...

axu539
Feb 11, 2011, 11:59 PM
...if its sealed new in the box still just return it for full price... even taking the 10% restocking fee would still net you more than selling it for $800...

Yeah I'm not sure what the issue was. I didn't push it. I just ordered an Air from the Apple refurb store and only responded to this ad out of curiosity. It could have been fake, but the guy was pretty convincing. Maybe he got it as a gift?

tom vilsack
Feb 12, 2011, 01:19 AM
i could see when sandy comes out...$750

but you never know....im on a mac mini ppc 1.25 that i got off craigs for $50 (have since added ram and new hd $85)...no harm in trying

PeterKG
Feb 12, 2011, 01:22 AM

There are no restocking fees anymore.

Bobjob186
Feb 12, 2011, 02:31 AM
why is this even a thread? let's say someone said "yeah it's realistic" what would you do then?

Alfieg
Feb 12, 2011, 03:54 AM

You awful, awful man.

Dwee8le
Feb 12, 2011, 04:07 AM
650 may be a bit too low for a 999 laptop, but I also want the base air 11,6 and I am not willing to pay more than 650 (+ tax & shipping). So I'm watching ebay like a hawk! Currently I am the highest bidder for 605 for a base air. Maybe I'll win or maybe not, but that is the price I am willing to pay for an Air with 1,4GHZ and 2G RAM.

Don't let all these negative "OMG, it must be stolen or broken!1!!" messages; ebay is a auction site and maybe you will be lucky... :D and if you're not winning and you really want/need one; go to a store and pay full price. I want an Air but I'm not willing to pay 999, so if I'm not winning one; I'll be airless till the sandy bridge airs are here...

chaoduyu520
Feb 12, 2011, 04:12 AM
Many to mention each other's advantages to help promote feelings

Padraig
Feb 12, 2011, 04:43 AM
Not a hope, unless you know someone in Apple who'll buy it for you.

nfl46
Feb 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
Good luck finding any Macbook at that price. If you wanna roll with Apple, you are going to have to pay the price. Apple products aren't cheap, even the 2 to 3 year old devices. The 11" is only four months old.

caonimadebi
Feb 12, 2011, 10:30 AM
One solution: ask M$ to bring back Bing cashback:
On eBay I got a NIB base aluminum Macbook (MSRP $1299USD) for <$900 in November of 2008 (only a month after unibody introduction). With a 10% off BIN coupon+20% cashback, it was an epic deal.
I have subsequently bought new Macbook Air, 15" MBP and numerous applecare policies all at 30%+ off MSRP.

topmounter
Feb 12, 2011, 11:28 AM

Dude, you're getting a Dell! :p

bowlerman625
Feb 12, 2011, 12:17 PM
NOT realistic

Funkymonk
Feb 12, 2011, 12:20 PM
I would say its possible on craigslist. Bunch of awesome deals there.

kkel19
Feb 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
My friend just did a craigslist transaction selling a TV...not long after walking back to his car...he got jumped and socked in the damn head and robbed. Just saying..if craigslist prices are too good to be true..it probably is.

Funkymonk
Feb 12, 2011, 12:29 PM
My friend just did a craigslist transaction selling a TV...not long after walking back to his car...he got jumped and socked in the damn head and robbed. Just saying..if craigslist prices are too good to be true..it probably is.

Damn. How badly was he hurt and how much did they take?