PDA

View Full Version : What causes the fan to come on?

Bakari45
Feb 11, 2011, 08:55 PM
I知 not sure if this question has been asked before, but what causes the fan to come on? Seems like it comes mostly when I知 playing videos, bur right now I知 only running Safari and a few other low level apps. So just wondering.

miles01110
Feb 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
More intensive tasks = increased CPU load = increased power draw = increased heat = fans required to cool the CPU.

GGJstudios
Feb 11, 2011, 08:58 PM
To be exact, the fans are always on. It's just that as temps are sustained at a higher level with more intensive demands on the system, the fans spin faster than normal.

torbjoern
Feb 11, 2011, 08:58 PM
I知 not sure if this question has been asked before, but what causes the fan to come on? Seems like it comes mostly when I知 playing videos, bur right now I知 only running Safari and a few other low level apps. So just wondering.

Might be the flash player that hogs your resources. Have you installed ClickToFlash?

Bakari45
Feb 11, 2011, 09:03 PM
Might be the flash player that hogs your resources. Have you installed ClickToFlash?

No I haven稚, but I僧 going to look into it, because the fan is pretty loud right now. Started getting louder when I signed in on emusic.com and sampled some music.

entatlrg
Feb 13, 2011, 08:56 PM
The fan on my 13" MBA roars up pretty good the moment I run win7 via VM Fusion ... kinda loud but MBA's aren't optimized to run window's either ...

Thought about trying coolbook but my opinion is if the fans are spinning up that fast they do so for a reason ... to keep the components within a safe temp.

cleric
Feb 13, 2011, 09:19 PM
Heat.

iRun26.2
Feb 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
Safari may seem harmless, but if you are looking at a FLASH based advertisements, you power will go up (and so the fans will turn on)

Penooker
Feb 14, 2011, 01:27 AM
Heat.

Electricity.