Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
Griffin’s new Survivor case may be the biggest and most protective case that has ever been made for the iPhone 4. Much like OtterBox’s Defender series for the iPhone 4, the Griffin Survivor features three layers of protection, a thick shock absorbing silicone outer layer, a hard polycarbonate inner layer, and a built in screen protector. Griffin even went as far as testing and passing the case for military standards, both US and Uk (for proof, watch Griffin’s all new video showcasing the Survivor being tested in action). Can the Griffin Survivor reign supreme as the king of protection for the iPhone 4? Read on for the full review of the Griffin Survivor to find out!

Now, I have a ton of things to say about this case. Let’s start off with the packaging first since it’s very bulky and can be a little confusing to open. The Survivor case ships in a very large square box that has the name “SURVIVOR” imprinted on the front, as well as on the sides of the box. An interesting feature of the package is what’s inside. Inside of the box you will see the case, however, to actually get to the case itself you will need to first pry open the box by going to the side of the box and prying up the little nubs that fit tightly into the notches. After removing the first layer you will be engulfed with a quite large (and a little excessive) layer of cardboard. To actually reach the case though, you will have to pull open a tab that can be located at the back of the cardboard. Once this is done, you will now be able to look at the tank they call the Griffin Survivor.

At first glance you will find the Griffin Survivor to be a quite a large case (quite a bit larger than the OtterBox Defender, Trident Kraken, etc.), this is due to the fact that your phone will be wrapped in not only a large portion of polycarbonate, but also a very large chunk of silicone as well. As far as the installation process goes. You will find that you will need to take your time when it comes to installing the case on your iPhone 4. To put the case on, you must first take the front piece of the polycarbonate frame and wrap it around the front screen of the iPhone 4. The next step would be to take the back polycarbonate piece and snap it onto the front piece until it is full fitted onto your iPhone. Last but not least, you will need to take the thick silicone layer and gently stretch it around the polycarbonate frame, making sure not to rip or tear. Also, before you begin using the case, you will need to gently pry open the port covers as they are not full open to begin.

Let’s take a quick glance over all of the buttons and ports. At the top of the case you will find one large covering for both the sleep/wake button and the audio jack. I have had no problems when it came to accessing my sleep/wake button and it felt very tactile every time I registered the phone on and off. As for the audio jack, it is a little bit on the small side and not every cable will fit in there since it is such a deep cutout. Please note that you do have coverings for all of the buttons and ports (as well as the camera) to make sure that nothing gets in and damages those buttons. On the side of the case you do have a cutout for the silent switch and I have absolutely no problems when it came to turning my phone into silent or ringer mode. Down below you have two button coverings for the volume rockers, just like the sleep/wake button, I found that these were both very tactile and I had no problem increasing or decreasing my volume.

On the bottom of the case you will find an opening for the dock connector, the speaker, and the mic (unlike the OtterBox Defender, which does not cover the speaker and the mic, the Survivor has improved upon that and has left little slits in the port cover so that the sound can escape). The opening is a little bit on the deep side and not all chargers will work with this case. I can also assure you that you will not be able to dock this case. On the back of the case you have one large cutout for the camera (there is even a port cover for this, a very nice add on to an already extremely protective case) and even though it is a little bit of a pain to get open, I have found no problems when it comes to using the flash or the camera itself. However, if you do use your iPhone’s camera a lot, then you my find it to be quite annoying to hold the flap back as you take pictures.

A nice (but not too surprising) feature of the case is the built in screen protector. It does feature a little bit of an anti glare kind of look due to the fact that when you turn on your phone you will notice a very slight degradation of the screen quality, this is because the of the material inside the screen protector that adds a thin amount of graininess. The good thing about this though is the fact that that the screen protector has had no issues with watermarking from what I have experienced. I personally would much rather take a slightly grainy screen over a watermarked screen any day. Another thing that I would like to mention is that the screen shield (maybe it’s just my unit) seems to rise up ever so slightly so that the protector is not in direct contact with the screen. What this means is that you may have to press a little bit harder to interact with the iPhone 4’s touchscreen.

A lot of people have been asking me if the case slips in and out of the pocket easily. I am glad to say that it does. Unlike some other cases that use a very sticky silicone, the Griffin Survivor features a very smooth silicone that not only repels lint and dust, but also glides in and out of the pocket very easy. Despite the smooth texture of the Survivor, the case does have a fair amount of grip. I think this is partially due to the fact that the case has very large ridges on the sides where your fingers rest, preventing any budging of the fingers or the case, for that matter. I would also like to mention that since the Survivor is a very bulky case, it may not be as comfortable in the pocket since it bulges out (at least in my case). Thankfully, the Survivor also comes with a belt clip that can be attached to your belt in case you do not want to rock it in your pocket.

As far as initial stress tests go, I cannot find anything that the Survivor can’t handle, snow, water, drops, and any sort of hardcore weather and damage are a thing of the past with the Survivor case. The case is extremely water resistant and has enough silicone to be dropped from very high heights (although I recommend not testing this out as Griffin cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your device...they mean it).

Overall, I think that the Griffin Survivor is the toughest case available for the iPhone 4. The Griffin Survivor (in my opinion) now rightfully deserves to reign supreme over other cases like the OtterBox Defender, Trident Kraken, and the Ballistic HC. Even though it does have a few minor issues, this is still a near perfect case for protection. If Griffin can fix some of the minor issues, this would be the perfect protection kit for your phone. You can pick up the Griffin Survivor at Griffin’s website, it is available in a few different colors and retails for $49.99.

Pics:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

First Impressions and the pics can be found at the bottom of the last page!

Here is the unofficial thread for the Griffin Survivor for the iPhone 4. Post your thoughts, pictures, and the opinions of the case in the (un)official thread.

Straight From Griffin:

Survivor
Extreme-Duty Case for iPhone 4

Ridiculously over-engineered? Or the perfect case for your iPhone 4 no matter where you're headed?

We think it's a little bit of both.

Simply put, the Griffin Extreme Duty Case is the most protective case we've ever built.

Tested and certified to meet or exceed US Department of Defense Standard 810F and UK Department of Defense Standard 00-35, Griffin's Survivor Extreme-Duty Case is designed from the inside out to protect your iPhone from extreme conditions ... dirt, sand, rain, shock, vibration and a host of other environmental factors.

Survivor is built on a shatter-resistant polycarbonate frame clad in rugged, shock absorbing silicone. A built-in screen protector seals your Multi-Touch display from the outside environment, while hinged plugs seal the dock connector, headphone port, hold switch and volume controls. A detachable heavy-duty clip secures your iPhone to a belt or bag strap.

Survivor is independently tested and verified to meet or exceed environmental testing standards for blown rain, blown dust & grit, vibration, shock, temperature and humidity. You can view video and results online at http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored.

Features

•Fits iPhone 4 models from all carriers

•Independently tested and certified to meet conditions outlined in US Department of Defense MIL-STD-810 and UK Department of Defense Def-Stan 00-35

•Integral Display shield deflects Wind/Rain (Test: Up to 200 mm/hr for 1 hour)
Rigid internal frame protects from Shock/Drop (Test: Drop on flat concrete surface from 6'/1.8 m)

•Sealed ports block Blown Sand/Dust (up to 18 m/sec for 1 hour)

•Silicone cladding blocks vibration (18 hrs at 20-2000 Hz)

•Multi-position clip attaches securely to pack strap or belt

•View video and results online at http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored

Link to product page

YouTube Video

Pictures:

survivor-k_olv-ip4-1.jpg

survivor-k-ip4-ls.jpg

survivor-wt_pnk-ip4-1.jpg

survivor-ip4-3.jpg

survivor-ip4-4.jpg

survivor-ip4-5.jpg

Last edited:

Coin3

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
I'm getting this case for the veriphone I'll have by Monday. I should have the case by next monday if possible.
Why am I getting it? Because my name is Griffin. :)
It also looks awesome.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I'm getting this case for the veriphone I'll have by Monday. I should have the case by next monday if possible.
Why am I getting it? Because my name is Griffin. :)
It also looks awesome.

No way, Peter Griffin that is?!

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I just about pulled the trigger on pre-ordering one of these this morning....then chickened out. It would be cool for biking and mountain biking and such....but I really tire quickly of the big bulky ass cases.

P.S.

Do a good search for a coupon code before you buy. 15% off and free shipping can be had pretty quickly.

UPDATE: I watched the entire video....I had only watched a little bit previously. I just pulled the trigger and pre-ordered a black one.

Steve

Last edited:

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
I just about pulled the trigger on pre-ordering one of these this morning....then chickened out. It would be cool for biking and mountain biking and such....but I really tire quickly of the big bulky ass cases.

P.S.

Do a good search for a coupon code before you buy. 15% off and free shipping can be had pretty quickly.

UPDATE: I watched the entire video....I had only watched a little bit previously. I just pulled the trigger and pre-ordered a black one.

Steve

Hehehehe. :cool:

Austin M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Washington
At about 32 seconds into the video, you can see that he is having a tough time getting it out of his pocket. Looks like it won't slip in and out of your pocket easily. Oh well...

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Because it has my name on the back. :p

Wow, I am glad I don't use your rationale, because I surely do not want to end up with a John's Phone...when the iPhone is much better and obviously does more :D:apple:...and I don't think the courts would let you change your name to iPhone :D

I think I would like to go for the Otterbox instead, as it is thinner, and lighter. Also, doesn't have a flap covering up the camera/light

Last edited:

ChinaAzzi

macrumors regular
In my opinion Survivor is much cooler looking than Defender but that might not put as much money into the bank as Otter Box’s Defender is. I meet some of the Griffin people in Shenzhen and I know they are hunger for the growing case business and that is easy to understand why, cases are so easy to make and customers tend to buy more than one unlike their iTrip which made Griffin famous and wealthy during the frist iPod days. Now they have their eyes on what I think is the case company which is making the most money and that is Otter Box. I was enlightened by an article written about Otter Box and the links they gave an interesting article and people selling Otter Box. So now lets see what happens when cool meets established because both have the same content, belt clip, plastic shell, silicone skin, screen protector, ports covered, low cost to build and extremely high return at their selling price of $49.00.

If I were to buy a protective case I would look long and hard at Contourdesign’s Showcase. This is one of the best designed cases out there and one of the most expensive cases to make not like the low cost of development and molds for Survivor and Defender. :)

Walse

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
In my opinion Survivor is much cooler looking than Defender but that might not put as much money into the bank as Otter Box’s Defender is. I meet some of the Griffin people in Shenzhen and I know they are hunger for the growing case business and that is easy to understand why, cases are so easy to make and customers tend to buy more than one unlike their iTrip which made Griffin famous and wealthy during the frist iPod days. Now they have their eyes on what I think is the case company which is making the most money and that is Otter Box. I was enlightened by an article written about Otter Box and the links they gave an interesting article and people selling Otter Box. So now lets see what happens when cool meets established because both have the same content, belt clip, plastic shell, silicone skin, screen protector, ports covered, low cost to build and extremely high return at their selling price of $49.00.

If I were to buy a protective case I would look long and hard at Contourdesign’s Showcase. This is one of the best designed cases out there and one of the most expensive cases to make not like the low cost of development and molds for Survivor and Defender. :)

The design is indeed unique, one of its kind. I like how the way the back cover is designed, allowing the iPhone to still strut in the piece of amour.

As much as I like it, I feel the showcase is in a league of it's own and shouldn't be compared with the otterbox or the griffin survivor. I'm pretty sure it will not survive the same beatings which the 2 cases can take, no sweat.

Roadking

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008

That case looks pretty good. I like it and wouldn't mind trying it out. It does look like it is for the AT&T iPhone though.

As far as the Griffin case, I like the OD green color. But it makes the phone look like it is a 3G and not the 4.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
The holster that comes with the Showcase is complete trash. I broke mine last week when I got in my car. Good case with a bad holster and it's definitely not worth $40 either IMO.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Did you ask for a warranty replacement, wondering how's their customer service.

Honestly no. I wasn't a fan of the case so I didn't even bother to ask.

It's available now at Verizon retail stores.

I'm tempted to check it out and give this case a spin. I can only go a couple of days with my Defender before I have to remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:

HercJerk

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Lake Erie
Survivor Decent

I bought the Griffin Survivor the day after my Verizon iPhone4 arrived because the Universal Otterbox wasn't available. I geocache so I'm crawling around in the woods a lot. The case is great. Very rugged. Easy to grip although a bit bulky. The camera cover makes it veeeeery awkward to take pictures so I finally just cut it off leaving the lens exposed but well recessed. The belt clip is a POS! Almost every time I get out of my truck the phone falls out of the clip onto the ground unless I'm hanging on. Thank goodness for the case! The clip is also very flimsy looking and I would expect it to break the first time I snagged a sapling or small branch. So the iPhone is usually in my pocket or hand when I'm in the woods. I've pretty much quit using the belt clip

From what I've read the Otterbox belt clip isn't a whole lot better but no real experience.

I do plan to get a more streamlined case for day-to-day use and maybe try to have a nylon/velcro holster or lanyard pocket sewn up for in the woods.

xray328

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I have this case and I have mixed feelings. First, let me say that if protecting your iPhone is the priority then this case does that very very well. However, it is very bulky.

Most of the cover flaps to access the headphone jack, mute button etc are pretty easy to remove. The cover over the camera is ridiculously difficult to get off, especially in a hurry. I've found the best way is to try to grab the little rubber nub with your fingernails, but its still a difficult task. Even once you remove the cover, it still partially covers the camera so you have to hold it with one finger when you take a picture.

It is also difficult to put into/remove from you pocket and in no way will fit in any typical iPhone holders (car, etc). I do however like the grip, although it adds signifigantly to the overall size of the phone.

Also, the screen in recessed by a good 1/8 inch which makes using the keyboard near the edges a little difficult (Q,P,Space Bar).

Overall its a good case and does offer the ultimate protection for your phone in extreme use situations. I'm just not sure if I feel like dealing with the inconveniences long term.

I paid $49.99 - 25% employee discount at the local Verizon store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.