Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
have CD drive that has been put in an external case. Its powered by an outlet, and connect with a printer cable. I have plugged it in to both USB ports, and Finder doesn't show it even exists. I know the drive works. Anyone know how to help?

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
have CD drive that has been put in an external case. Its powered by an outlet, and connect with a printer cable. I have plugged it in to both USB ports, and Finder doesn't show it even exists. I know the drive works. Anyone know how to help?

look in Disk Utility, does it shows up?

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
For the Apple External SuperDrive, the CD does not appear in Finder until a disc is inserted in it. I never did think to check if it appears in Disk Utility. (I don't have a SuperDrive, but recently have been setting up several MBA's with SuperDrives where I work.) Not sure if the same happens with another optical drive. Try inserting a CD and see if it shows up.

Update: Okay, I plugged in the Apple SuperDrive to a MacBook Air, and it does appear in Disk Utility.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.