Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Hi fellows!

I've been trying to figure out a way to make my bedroom comfortable, with good 'virtual space' and that looks cool.

I am 24 and I spend my whole day in my bedroom studying. Yeah, I study A LOT.

But I am not happy with its actual setup. The wardrobe, the bed, the table, the white board, I dont know... it seems that my bedroom is a mess or its too small even being relativily big.

Can you guys help me with this?
How?

Well, just tell me where to put ANY of the things of my bedroom.
One thing I just cant to: I cant spend more than 100 dollars - in case anyone suggest to buy anything.

Also, I cant buy a new table, wardrobe or bed.

Its kind a defy...

I wish I could have some more money but I am not working at this momment.

Here is a video showing my full bedroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVNVOIw09U

THANKS a lot.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Hang some stuff up on the walls!

Looks like university dorm room. Try rasterbate.
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

rasterbate.jpg

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Hang some stuff up on the walls!

Looks like university dorm room. Try rasterbate.
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

rasterbate.jpg

Holy ****, you spent a LOT of paint on that!
Any way, I liked the suggestion! In Brazil, a picture of that size would cost me something like 500 dollars, believe or not. High quality, but still expensive.

Anyway, I am still looking forward new setup suggestions! I am writting down all of them. After 1 week I will make a BIG change in my bedroom based on opinions in this thread.

JulesNYC

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I would definitely work on improving the lighting. Maybe some better lamps? And, yes, definitely put up some wall art. Your space needs color!

Is that other room a grow house? ;) Could you move one of the plants to your main bedroom?

Also, mirrors can help a small space feel larger and/or more open.

Good luck!

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Definitely more lighting, as well as a small area rug which you can place under your computer desk. Adding frames/mirrors will also make your room look much bigger than it actually is.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I would definitely work on improving the lighting. Maybe some better lamps? And, yes, definitely put up some wall art. Your space needs color!

Is that other room a grow house? ;) Could you move one of the plants to your main bedroom?

Also, mirrors can help a small space feel larger and/or more open.

Good luck!

Yes! Thats a grow House! Its night here, thats why it seems to be dark. During the day I cant even sleep because of the sun! I will switch the table with the wardrobe. And, after that, I will swtich the bed with the wardrobe (is it confusing?)!

A rug under the table? Are you sure? I thought about that some years ago but then I thought: "what about the dirt?"
Anyway, I agree, but I need some ideas for that =/ (shape, size, color, texture, etc...)

More light? Ok. Copied!

I dont like the idea of mirrors... looks like too much "girly" ehehe.

Up to now:
1. Wall art
2. More light
3. Small rug under the table

What about the cables???????? I have cable drops but that only organizes the cables ON the table. UNDER the problem there is a problem... huge and MESSY problem!!

Last edited:

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I agree with getting mirrors in there.. it doesn't have to be full length mirrors that you might be thinking are girly. I have some black framed mirrors from ikea which add a nice touch.

itsmeGAV

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010
Bristol, United Kingdom
New lighting, new cupboard (take a look at ikea), monitor/television mounted above the MBP and either a PS or XBOX for some gaming and tv watching..
Get a nice landscape picture for the wall next to your bed.. :p

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
New lighting, new cupboard (take a look at ikea), monitor/television mounted above the MBP and either a PS or XBOX for some gaming and tv watching..
Get a nice landscape picture for the wall next to your bed.. :p

Wow, great ideas!
You mentioned Ikea. We dont have Ikea in Brazil but I'll take a look at their website. Maybe I can import something or buy something similar here.

"Get a nice landscape picture for the wall next to your bed" -> I always wanted something like that. Will do it!

TheOnlyJon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Indianapolis
Apologies for shameless self-promotion, but check out my blog on dormroom design. Hasn't been updated in a long while, but I usually add more posts at the beginning and end of the school year.

NottaDorm.com

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Do a simple layout. What is the rooms dimensions, the furniture? By what I see you can not fit anything else in the room so what you need is color. Get a nice little area rug that you like and use it as a base for setting the color for the rest of the room.

Attachments

• Sketch 2011-02-14 12_50_38.JPG
    Sketch 2011-02-14 12_50_38.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Here are some color designs and a few ideas to work with small spaces.

Attachments

• home-interior-design-small-bedroom-ideas.jpg
    home-interior-design-small-bedroom-ideas.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 611
  • imagesCA0HXFKE.jpg
    imagesCA0HXFKE.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,055
  • Small-Bedroom-Design-Interior-1.jpg
    Small-Bedroom-Design-Interior-1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 174
  • teen-bedroom-design-with-smart-storage.jpg
    teen-bedroom-design-with-smart-storage.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Small-Teenager-Room-Decor-Ideas-Book-Decoration.jpg
    Small-Teenager-Room-Decor-Ideas-Book-Decoration.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 169

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Here are some color designs and a few ideas to work with small spaces.

How? How do you...? But..? What? Forget it! Loved it! :)

Will buy some paint this weekend!
I have already made some changes. The room looks like bigger now! I will make a video after all the changes!

Tks a lot!

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I'm a great lover of greens & browns. I also love floating bookshelves when you have no floor space. Note the small area rugs, one is a shag which gives the room a warm feeling. Stay away from too much white, too hard to keep clean. Not everyone likes pictures on the walls but I love landscapes myself. You can buy a poster and buy a frame for it, this is a lot cheaper than paying a framer. I find some great stuff in flea markets, lamps, blankets, pillows, pictures. In one picture a wall is covered with old planks to give it a warm rustic flavor. Another has the walls painted different colors. Do you have a favorite photograph? What colors are in it. You have to make a small collection of what you like, no matter the cost, this chair, that painting, this suit, that jacket and be creative. Figure out what it is you like about them and find a cheaper substitute.

Last edited:

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
I'm a great lover of greens & browns. I also love floating bookshelves when you have no floor space. Note the small area rugs, one is a shag which gives the room a warm feeling. Stay away from too much white, too hard to keep clean. Not everyone likes pictures on the walls but I love landscapes myself. You can buy a poster and buy a frame for it, this is a lot cheaper than paying a framer. I find some great stuff in flea markets, lamps, blankets, pillows, pictures. In one picture a wall is covered with old planks to give it a warm rustic flavor. Another has the walls painted different colors. Do you have a favorite photograph? What colors are in it. You have to make a small collection of what you like, no matter the cost, this chair, that painting, this suit, that jacket and be creative. Figure out what it is you like about them and find a cheaper substitute.

Yeah, my bedroom is ALL white. Thats because there was a fire in my house in 2007. Since them, we are still buying new stuff. My plan is to paint one of the walls in a gray/green color (confusing?). I like "cold colors", something that reminds the winter, you know?

I AM REALLY going to buy a panorama picture (or print it using the method the other user tought me above). I love beaches and ocean (I am a diver).

Actually, I feel more comfortable in my bedroom. I promisse I'll upload new pictures tomorrow. Its not something like "wow, everything has changed" ehehhe. But... its just a start!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
move the wardrobe on the opposite side so it doesn't cut the light from the window and combine the ideas of the '3D canvas', with the large image technique indicated above and with your passion for diving by transforming your wardrobe in a huge aquarium.

select a large, high definition color picture of reef/tropical fish, and convert it into a rasterbation pdf file (remember it should cover the sides as well).
print it or have it printed at the shop and assemble it on the wardrobe. whne you are done cut it where the door open and tape it there.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
transforming your wardrobe in a huge aquarium

You son of a gun!!!!!!!! Thats is simply wonderful!!!!!

You know, I used to have a marine aquarium! (160 Liters) But I had to sell it to pay many things of my house.

I will definetely do that! I have a huge wardrobe, I think I can make something really good! Perhaps a blue spotlight pointing to it would make it even better!

Loved the suggestion!

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Some ocean themed rooms.

Attachments

• imagesCAKGE874.jpg
    imagesCAKGE874.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 766
  • seaadventureroomn_L.jpg
    seaadventureroomn_L.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 178
  • imagesCAD03E08.jpg
    imagesCAD03E08.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 736
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.