Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosacorp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
I have just bought this computer and it is the first Apple computer for me. I do have a few questions that someone could help me with:
1.) How do I connect to the internet (wirelessly) I have a router for my WIN XP laptop. But when I try the 'airport' thing and it doesn't seem to find any available connections. It says it has a version 8.70 AirPort card.
2.) When I work on a word processor like MS Word, save it to a flash drive then open that on the IMAC, what will happen? Will it ruin the file or the flash drive?
Thanks

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have just bought this computer and it is the first Apple computer for me. I do have a few questions that someone could help me with:
1.) How do I connect to the internet (wirelessly) I have a router for my WIN XP laptop. But when I try the 'airport' thing and it doesn't seem to find any available connections. It says it has a version 8.70 AirPort card.
2.) When I work on a word processor like MS Word, save it to a flash drive then open that on the IMAC, what will happen? Will it ruin the file or the flash drive?
Thanks

1) Your router must be compatible with 802.11b to work with the AirPort card, and it may require less security (I cant remember the exact settings, but it has to be lower security for older OSes)
2) The flash drive will be fine, the file will be fine, if it has Word:Mac/AppleWorks/iWork, you will be able to open read edit and save the file, if it doesnt you may not be able to read the file, but the file itself, and your flashdrive will be 100% fine.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
1) Is your WinXP box connected wirelessly? If so, you need the SSID (network name) and WEP or WAP passkey (if your network uses either as secure access)

2) You need compatible versions of Word for both PC and Mac...i.e. don't save a doc in Word 2010 format on the PC and expect the Mac with Word 2004 to open it. BTW - Word 2011 won't work on a PPC Mac, only works on Intel-based Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.