Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
liketom said:
well spotted dl now
I would if I was at my Mac right now...I won't return to my Mac for another 6 hours because I'm stuck at college on a Windows XP machine posting this message.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Oh Great! :( Got to reboot. Gonna lose my 3 days uptime record. Boo hoo.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Now available as a software download from Apple:
The 10.3.8 Update delivers improved compatibility and reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users.

Key updates include:
- improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
- improved file sharing and directory services for mixed Mac and PC networks
- improved compatibility for third party applications and devices
- previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n300569

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

SHA 1= 68a133a0c21718169e8b09644d0a029ae7eae2e2

For detailed information on SHA 1 Digest, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n75510

This update was not available for download via Software Update at post time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, *some* reasons for having to reboot my computer I really appreciate. ;) I've been doing software updates from the command line through a script that does other maintenance stuff, so I guess I'll wait a few days and then run it this weekend and get myself some 10.3.8 action. :)

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Has anyone tested if WoW performance increases or decreases?

/probably not since this is first post.

Edit: 4th post :rolleyes:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
New graphics drivers? Didn't we just do this?

Oh well, if WoW performance goes up again, who am I to complain?

If it goes DOWN on the other hand... pitchforks and torches, man.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Very well spotted!

I ws just in the process of restoring my iTunes library file, as it got corrupted during a little, ahem, CPU overclocking experimentation!

Hoovering the goodness now.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Not on SWU Yet?

I wonder why they released it as a web download and not (yet) on SWU? Usually it is the reverse.
Downloading the combo update here at work. Will do the PowerBook here & then the G5 & iBook at home.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Enhancements, according to Apple:
  • Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.7 in which iChat, Mail, or other network-based applications could take a long time to open.
  • Addresses an issue in which a computer wouldn't always restart automatically after a power failure, even when the Energy Saver preference option "Restart automatically after a power failure" was selected.
  • Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.
  • Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
  • Resolves an issue in which a "flicker" could be seen when navigating DVD menus in DVD Player on certain PowerBook G4 computers.
  • Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer would, on rare occasion, wake from sleep with a black screen and not respond to any keyboard, mouse, or trackpad input.
  • Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.
  • Resolves an issue on certain Power Mac G5 computers where a fan cycles erratically at unexpected times, such as when Seti@home software is running.
  • Speeds up Address Book and Mail LDAP lookups that are performed by a Cisco DistributedDirector DNS server.
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent clients using the Active Directory plugin from binding to their Active Directory server.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Apple said:
Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.

Lol, good, but it's not like it would take much to "improve" it, it was pretty crappy.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Woah! My iBook feels snappier just reading about the update! :rolleyes:

Edit: Damn... I just read how the update fixes the slow to open iChat and Mail... Wish I had known this was a universal issue a week ago when I wiped my iMac thinking it was my problem :eek:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Doctor Q said:
Enhancements, according to Apple:
  • Addresses an issue with Mac OS X 10.3.7 in which iChat, Mail, or other network-based applications could take a long time to open.
  • Addresses an issue in which a computer wouldn't always restart automatically after a power failure, even when the Energy Saver preference option "Restart automatically after a power failure" was selected.
  • Improves the performance of Blizzard World of Warcraft's "Full Screen Glow" video feature.
  • Improves DVD Player compatibility when playing a movie (using certain ATI Radeon cards) to an external widescreen TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
  • Resolves an issue in which a "flicker" could be seen when navigating DVD menus in DVD Player on certain PowerBook G4 computers.
  • Addresses an issue in which a PowerBook G4 computer would, on rare occasion, wake from sleep with a black screen and not respond to any keyboard, mouse, or trackpad input.
  • Addresses "jumping cursor" issues that might occur when using your portable computer's trackpad with your thumb, side of thumb, or a "flat" finger.
  • Resolves an issue on certain Power Mac G5 computers where a fan cycles erratically at unexpected times, such as when Seti@home software is running.
  • Speeds up Address Book and Mail LDAP lookups that are performed by a Cisco DistributedDirector DNS server.
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent clients using the Active Directory plugin from binding to their Active Directory server.
Count me in the list of users intermittently experiencing issue #1 on Mac OS X 10.3.7! Looking forward to the 10.3.8 install as soon as I return home...

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
I guess I'll wait a couple of days, as usual :cool:
Once I was very glad I waited.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I'm going to update tomorrow after I come back from work, now it's time to sleep!! I just think about 10.2.8 ;) , I know, no reason to think about it but, time to sleep!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
mail is quicker for me as is ichat but i did get a folder on restart like it was zaping the pram ??? any1 else get that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.