Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

travisjacques

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
hey guys, i successfully installed greenpoison on my ATV2, now i want to install XBMC. I need a step by step guide in lamans terms. I found the ssh code but not really sure how to enter that. Do i still need to have the ATV2 connected through mini usb? or does it work over wifi? any help would be greatly appreciated.

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I just went into the nitoTV menu and selected "Install Software", if you look down the list of software packages XBMC should be there, after selecting it the ATV2 took over and downloaded/installed XBMC, it really was as simple as that.

At the time my ATV2 was hooked up to my TV as normal via HDMI, XBMC was downloaded over the wi-fi connection and then installed, no need for SSH or USB connection.

Hope this helps ;)

travisjacques

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
okay i found that option on my ATV2 however when i try to download it over wifi it says the package could not be found. any suggestions?

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
That's odd, I only installed it 3-4 hours ago myself, I'll take a look on my ATV2 and see what it comes up with.

travisjacques

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
i cant seem to find any forums relating to nito and greenpoison. figured there may be a fix in there somewhere.

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I can't figure out why you're having problems, the only thing thing I can think of [which is a real pain] would be to restore to stock, JB again and then try installing XBMC.

Try: http://www.jailbreakqa.com, I've found it pretty handy even though I hadn't heard about it until I tried to JB my ATV2 and had problems, it's well worth a look.

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
hey guys, i successfully installed greenpoison on my ATV2, now i want to install XBMC. I need a step by step guide in lamans terms. I found the ssh code but not really sure how to enter that. Do i still need to have the ATV2 connected through mini usb? or does it work over wifi? any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can SSH over WiFi. Just connect the AppleTV to the TV and get the IP from the menu. Then you can SSH to that IP using root.

travisjacques

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2009
i was able to install xbmc over wifi. Now i need help getting my content on here. On my PC i have 2 folders on the desktop, one for movies, one for tv. How can i get these onto my atv2 with xbmc. i cant seem to find the right way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.