Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edrill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
hi all - i've been reading here quite a while and have never posted. thought i would get a little advice.

i am going to buy a powerbook to replace a dead titanium. i can buy a 15" combo for 1694 andn pay no tax. i am trying to decide between a discontinued 15" combo for 1694. 60 gig drive, 256 ram and no tax versus a new 25" combo which i would buy at the apple store for the 1999 plus 8% tax. the older one is at macconection by the way - they'll throw in q 512 chip with a rebate - no install fee.

what do you all think? i'd save about $350 by buying the older one. i like the 80 gig 5400 drive - the other differences are of course the backlit keyboard, the scrolling trackpad etc.

while i prefer the new one, is is worth the difference in money?

thanks for the advice, eric

oriol

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2005
right behind ya!
I have the same problem as you, i dont know which one to buy, If i go for a 12" 1.33 powerbook w/ superdrive for $1,299 or a new 12" 1.5 powerbook w/ superdrive for $1,499

do you think i should pay the $200 more and get the new powerbook?

if i get the old powerbook I'll get the extra 1GB RAM, but if i buy the new I think I won't need the memory, do I? :)

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
All things considered with the exception of a necessity for atleast 512 mb or RAM, save the cash. Especially if it is a a couple hundred dollars plus. Unless you really want the 5400 rph HD in the 12 inch or the Back lit KeyBoard in the 15 inch.

NCTRNL

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2004
Kansas City
If you're anything like me, you want the best and the newest. You buy an older PB and it's already closer to being out of date. That's how I look at it at least...

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
With that $350 saved you could buy a new 5,400 rpm HD and put it into the PB yourself. I believe it is much easier to do on the 15/17" than on 12" PowerBooks or iBooks. Then get a 2.5" firewire case and put the old drive in there.

Trackpad scrolling can be implemented on the older model, the slight CPU bump may not even be very noticable, and as for the HD sudden movement protection - do you plan on dropping your PB any time soon?

So you miss out on BT 2.0 and backlit keyboard, but you get more RAM, so in practice you will more than likely end up with a faster PB (unless of course if you shelled out for more RAM on the new new model).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.