PDA

View Full Version : updates on thread view counts

wrldwzrd89
Feb 9, 2005, 05:38 PM
Is it just me, or do the MacRumors rumor/news threads always get a bunch of replies before their views count gets updated, so it says 18 replies, 0 views (which is impossible), for example? I've seen this happen to other active threads and threads I've made the first reply in also.

MentalFabric
Feb 9, 2005, 05:59 PM
Is it just me, or do the MacRumors rumor/news threads always get a bunch of replies before their views count gets updated, so it says 18 replies, 0 views (which is impossible), for example? I've seen this happen to other active threads and threads I've made the first reply in also.

For me it seems like the views only updates when a reply is added.

PlaceofDis
Feb 9, 2005, 06:25 PM
ive noticed that there is a lag time, but i believe this happens because of the rate at which the database refreshes, but i could be mistaken, it doesnt bother me personally though

wrldwzrd89
Feb 9, 2005, 06:32 PM
ive noticed that there is a lag time, but i believe this happens because of the rate at which the database refreshes, but i could be mistaken, it doesnt bother me personally though
It doesn't bother me hugely either...I was just curious more than anything else.

Doctor Q
Feb 9, 2005, 07:25 PM
Please post a screenshot if you see this again.

wrldwzrd89
Feb 14, 2005, 09:44 AM
Okay, I just saw it again...but this is truly weird. My User CP is wrong, but the MacRumors discussion page is fine. See attached screenshots.

angelneo
Feb 14, 2005, 10:09 AM
I believe with a database of this size, its quite inefficient to do live-counting of all the posts for certain fields everytime a person access the page, so I think (wherever this forum comes from) uses a standard time interval to update all the counts which is more efficient but suffers a perhaps 30 sec? 1 min? lag. It could be also through another page which is accessed less frequently but on a regular basis, like logging in page so on.