Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
around
Last week I received my iphone 4 from Verizon. When I got it, all I had on it was a screen protector. That night I dreamed I dropped my iphone and the glass was shattered.

The next day I ordered a silver Barely There case from Case-Mate. I was going to choose regular shipping which would have been 6 days or more, but chose the 3 to 4 day instead. I received it Friday. Today I was walking in the house with my iphone, and I dropped it!!!:eek: We also have hardwood floors.

It landed on the corner of the phone. I was so afraid to pick it up, but when I did I breathed a sigh of relief because there was not a crack nor scratch anywhere!

Basically I just wanted to give props to Case-Mate. Some say their case is not enough protection, but it protected mine today!

Attachments

• 2011-02-10_14-28-37_796.jpg
    2011-02-10_14-28-37_796.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 152

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
im thinking about getting a similar case like this from SGP, would you say this case is a great case?

and on topic: nice!!! my phone has not dropped even once since i got it :cool: (knocks on wood)

ChinaAzzi

macrumors regular
Last week I received my iphone 4 from Verizon. When I got it, all I had on it was a screen protector. That night I dreamed I dropped my iphone and the glass was shattered.

The next day I ordered a silver Barely There case from Case-Mate. I was going to choose regular shipping which would have been 6 days or more, but chose the 3 to 4 day instead. I received it Friday. Today I was walking in the house with my iphone, and I dropped it!!!:eek: We also have hardwood floors.

It landed on the corner of the phone. I was so afraid to pick it up, but when I did I breathed a sigh of relief because there was not a crack nor scratch anywhere!

Basically I just wanted to give props to Case-Mate. Some say their case is not enough protection, but it protected mine today!

That case is a close as you can get to not having any protection. I was in my office and a friend of mine dropped his iPhone on a ceramic floor and it was fine. He did not have a case on.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010

Honestly, case-mate didn't save your phone. You got lucky.

I've had my screen completely destroyed by a simple drop to linoleum while it was in an Otterbox Defender. I've also dropped my naked iPhone 4 while I was trying on a different case to review and it was perfectly fine with zero marks.

The way the glass of the phone is it is literally a hit or miss when you drop it. I've seen people do some stupid stuff with their phones and they survive. Same way a slight drop or when I bumped my phone while it was in my cargo pocket of my pants and it destroyed the back.

I'm glad your phone is ok, but that case did not save it. If anything it kept it from getting scratched. It absorbed none of the impact. That was all phone.

techdude6693

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2010
Irvine, CA
honestly, case-mate didn't save your phone. You got lucky.

I've had my screen completely destroyed by a simple drop to linoleum while it was in an otterbox defender. I've also dropped my naked iphone 4 while i was trying on a different case to review and it was perfectly fine with zero marks.

The way the glass of the phone is it is literally a hit or miss when you drop it. I've seen people do some stupid stuff with their phones and they survive. Same way a slight drop or when i bumped my phone while it was in my cargo pocket of my pants and it destroyed the back.

I'm glad your phone is ok, but that case did not save it. If anything it kept it from getting scratched. It absorbed none of the impact. That was all phone.

+1

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Honestly, case-mate didn't save your phone. You got lucky.

I've had my screen completely destroyed by a simple drop to linoleum while it was in an Otterbox Defender. I've also dropped my naked iPhone 4 while I was trying on a different case to review and it was perfectly fine with zero marks.

The way the glass of the phone is it is literally a hit or miss when you drop it. I've seen people do some stupid stuff with their phones and they survive. Same way a slight drop or when I bumped my phone while it was in my cargo pocket of my pants and it destroyed the back.

Agreed for sure, especially in that case that you have on. Some type of silicone/tpu is what usually absorbs impact, although the phone still does take alot of the impact regardless of the case. Then again it is a phone, it can be replaced.

SK1

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
London
Case-Mate Barely There Case in fact is the most popular one I believe because of the price and slim design. However to be honest it won't be a life-saver for your phone. It's there for those who prefer minimalistic solutions, like protection from scratches mainly and possibly small falls but it is as far as it goes. It's a bit of a fashion statement in Barely There Case. If you really would love your phone to be well protected I'd suggest the Tough Case.

In terms of Otterbox Defender I'm surprised anything happened to your phone as it is a good, protective case, although a bit bulky but I guess this time it all comes down as someone mentioned to the unfortunate glass in iPhone 4 that is not really a great solution. Fingers crossed iPhone 5 improves in this dimension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.