Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethan424

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I am about to start work as a real estate agent. The MLS is searched through a website called mlxchange (http://www.mlxchange.com). However, this site works only with Internet Explorer on a PC. I have PowerBook G4 that is about a year and a half old. I have 256MB of RAM. I am considering purchasing another 256MB of RAM and buying Virtual PC so that I can access MLXchange. Will things run smoothly and quickly enough to be used extensively on a daily basis? Any advice or experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

LimitedEdition

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
ethan424 said:
I am about to start work as a real estate agent. The MLS is searched through a website called mlxchange (http://www.mlxchange.com). However, this site works only with Internet Explorer on a PC. I have PowerBook G4 that is about a year and a half old. I have 256MB of RAM. I am considering purchasing another 256MB of RAM and buying Virtual PC so that I can access MLXchange. Will things run smoothly and quickly enough to be used extensively on a daily basis? Any advice or experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

You will definitely need the extra memory, but once you have that it should be fine. Virtual PC is exactly like a real PC, so it it works in IE on your PC it will work in Virtual PC. Speedwise I can't speak to the Powerbook, but on my PowerMac G4 dual 1.25, IE6 was very usable under Windows 2000 on Virtual PC.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Get atleast another 512 ram. VPC is not fast at all, so you need to increase your machines speed in other ways to compensate for that. Even with a gig of ram, your not going to be running it like a normal pc would run windows. You might wnt to try and build a really cheap pc just for work, you could make a really decent system for under $500.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mactastic said:
It'll be slow but it will work. Stick with Win 2000, it's quicker in VPC than XP is.

definitely stick with Win2000, it will help with the speed for sure, XP is like molasses

cubixcrayfish

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
dontmakemehurtu said:
You don't need VPC to access this website. Just either use the
User Agent Switcher Firefox extension or enable Safari's debug menu to fool the website into thinking you are using IE on a PC and in reality you're using Safari or Firefox on your Mac. Let me know if it works.
I was gonna say the same thing, can't you trick it into thinking you are a IE user on a PC, but I would still go for the RAM upgrade...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i tried to trick the site using Safari's debug menu, and it was a no go, and IE for Mac didnt work either, its a strange problem, and i wonder how this site knows what you are running, kinda creepy if you ask me

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Definitely go with Windows 2000, it's much faster than XP. If you keep the usage to the basics - IE, email, the basics, you'll find VPC very usable. But don't mistake me, VPC is very slow.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Raven VII said:
Definitely go with Windows 2000, it's much faster than XP. If you keep the usage to the basics - IE, email, the basics, you'll find VPC very usable. But don't mistake me, VPC is very slow.

Yep 2000 ran smooth in VPC on my iBook 366 in fact it outperformed my 12inch Powerbook running Win98se

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Does Internet Explorer for the Mac work on the site. It might work so you don't need to get VPC.

ethan424

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Thank you for everyone's input. I am torn between three options right now.

1)Buy a decent PC laptop for work (I need a laptop), and keep my PowerBook G4 1Ghz, 256MB

2)Upgrade to 1GB of RAM and buy virtual PC so that I can use my Mac at work.

3)Since my Mac is a over a year old spending a decent ammount of money to uprgrade it seems that it may be wasteful. Also, everyone says Virtual PC is slow, so a processor upgrade would help. Therefore, I could buy a new PowerBook at 1.5GHz with 1.25 GB of ram (12 inch), and virtual PC.

I am unsure what to do. I like the idea of having one computer and would like this to be a Mac. However, I am still unsure as to just how slow virtual PC is. I need to use Virtual PC for several hours each day. If I am going to loose significant productivity due to the speed I would just assume buy a PC, as much as it pains me and my Mac heart. Any further input on my threee options is appreciated. I am mainly trying to get a feel for the speed of virtual PC. Thanks.

-- Ethan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.