PDA

View Full Version : Just got my refurb...WOW!

xxRONNIExx
Feb 14, 2011, 03:55 PM
Just got my 11in (4GB of memory) today. They baby looks brand new. If anyone is considering getting a refurb I would definitely look into it. Theres not a dent, ding, or scratch at all.
I cant believe how fast this thing opens up apps. Im considering selling my mac mini now and to start saving for a 27" iMac. I think this will hold me until I can get my iMac.
Now time to install Final Cut Express and see what this baby can do :D

axu539
Feb 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
Just got my 11in (4GB of memory) today. They baby looks brand new. If anyone is considering getting a refurb I would definitely look into it. Theres not a dent, ding, or scratch at all.
I cant believe how fast this thing opens up apps. Im considering selling my mac mini now and to start saving for a 27" iMac. I think this will hold me until I can get my iMac.

Lol know its limits. FCE will be fine for editing but you'll really notice the slow cpu when you try to encode. I love my new 11" refurb too, but it definitely isn't a powerhouse

xxRONNIExx
Feb 14, 2011, 05:04 PM
Lol know its limits. FCE will be fine for editing but you'll really notice the slow cpu when you try to encode. I love my new 11" refurb too, but it definitely isn't a powerhouse

Yeah I do basic movies around the house with family, nothing special. I just hate using iMovie.

ccsicecoke
Feb 14, 2011, 06:09 PM
The resolution is a tragedy

Personally I won't buy any laptop that has a resolution lower than 1440*900

MikePA
Feb 14, 2011, 06:16 PM
The resolution is a tragedy. Personally I won't buy any laptop that has a resolution lower than 1440*900
Would anyone else like to rain on the OPs parade with any other 'tragedies'? :rolleyes:

YMark
Feb 14, 2011, 06:30 PM
Would anyone else like to rain on the OPs parade with any other 'tragedies'? :rolleyes:

+1. I wonder what goes through someone's head that would make them post of such a "tragedy".

KPOM
Feb 14, 2011, 06:34 PM

Until OS X becomes resolution-independent like Windows 7, I'm not sure I'd want 1440x900 on an 11.6" screen.

bowlerman625
Feb 14, 2011, 06:44 PM
Congrats!

Funkymonk
Feb 14, 2011, 06:45 PM

How high of a resolution do you want on an 11" machine?

MikePA
Feb 14, 2011, 07:23 PM
+1. I wonder what goes through someone's head that would make them post of such a "tragedy".

Clearly someone who has never experienced a real 'tragedy'.

xxRONNIExx
Feb 14, 2011, 07:43 PM
Its a 11 inch screen so Im not expecting the best. But I did play a movie on it and the quality is fine with me :)

BlackMax
Feb 14, 2011, 09:01 PM
Its a 11 inch screen so Im not expecting the best. But I did play a movie on it and the quality is fine with me :)

Congratulations. I've got the same refurb 11.6 MBA and mine is perfect too. I actually like the screen a lot. It is very good quality (and I've worked with a lot of different laptops). If the resolution were any higher you'd need magnifying glasses to view it. :D

Enjoy your new MBA and have fun with it.

iRun26.2
Feb 14, 2011, 09:38 PM
How high of a resolution do you want on an 11" machine?

As high as possible! Give me 300ppi+ like my iPhone 4 (and make OSX capable of scaling system text please).

I'd pay an extra $1000 for the screen if it was an option. (notice I'm not saying many other customers besides myself would be willing to pay for that fancy of a screen...but you asked!) :)

kkel19
Feb 15, 2011, 01:03 AM
jesus i though 1366 was already a crazyass resolution....i think id go blind with 1440

DarwinOSX
Feb 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Apple is one of the few vendors whose refurbs you can trust.

ccsicecoke
Feb 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
Lenovo X200S / X201S

12.1 WXGA+ 1440*900

foulmouthedleon
Feb 15, 2011, 11:12 AM
I wasn't sure what to expect from the MBA's either until I bought one (traded it, actually, for my MBP) and love it. My sister-in-law has one of the previous generation and it's slow as hell with beachballs when even trying to open up Safari. Not so with this new generation. Glad you like! And someone at the Apple store told me that something like 90% of all refubs are simply buyer's remorse, so I'd expect something pretty close to brand new when buying an Apple refurb.

Wooderson00
Feb 15, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hey y'all. I'm new to the forum. First post!

I'm also thinking about getting an 11" refurb MBA, though I am looking for 4GB memory. How often does that pop up in the refurb store?

KPOM
Feb 15, 2011, 11:44 AM

I'm also thinking about getting an 11" refurb MBA, though I am looking for 4GB memory. How often does that pop up in the refurb store?

The late 2010 models started appearing after Christmas, and several times over the past few weeks. Check the website frequently, since the 4GB models go quickly. Lately, the "ultimate" models (fastest processors and largest SSDs) have been available a bit longer than the less expensive models.

axu539
Feb 15, 2011, 11:45 AM

It last showed up exactly a week ago tonight. I know because I was watching and I ordered :).

nefan65
Feb 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
Don't listen to the naysayers, just enjoy it! I looked at the 11" at Best Buy not too long ago. Granted it was brand new, but...wow....loved the size, weight, and build. For a system it's size, it was awesome.

Have fun, and ignore the negative comments. They're probably just jealous :rolleyes:

Pressure
Feb 15, 2011, 01:35 PM

How many 11" notebooks having a higher than 1366 x 768 pixels resolution have you seen?

Wooderson00
Feb 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
I read in another thread about refurb.me . Glad I read that. Signed up for the MBA update. Got the e-mail this afternoon, and found they updated the refurb inventory! Pulled the trigger on an 11" ultimate. It was $1,189 ($1,263 w/tax). I'm happy with the savings! Looking forward to it coming in the mail!

deedas
Feb 16, 2011, 11:56 PM
Refurbs get new casings. I'm not sure what they're doing about the screens now that they are bonded together, but I got a hunch that they're also new. You also get new batteries. The only thing you should worry is the reduced lifespan of the mobo (but not really.)

AppleScruff1
Feb 17, 2011, 01:15 AM
Enjoy it. It's a nice computer.

PeckhamBog
Feb 17, 2011, 05:21 AM
Refurbs get new casings. I'm not sure what they're doing about the screens now that they are bonded together, but I got a hunch that they're also new. You also get new batteries. The only thing you should worry is the reduced lifespan of the mobo (but not really.)

I've never heard of this before.

Seems a very expensive way to clear returned goods.

Where did you learn of this information?

mabaker
Feb 17, 2011, 06:09 AM
Until OS X becomes resolution-independent like Windows 7, I'm not sure I'd want 1440x900 on an 11.6" screen.

Since WHEN is Windows 7 resolution independent? Way to go spreading FUD!

ttate90303
Feb 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
Enjoy your new machine. It's well worth the purchase. Nice and light when traveling which is indeed a blessing. Again great purchase.

jimithing
Feb 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
I just took delivery on my 11" today, its the baby model, got it for 850 refurbished, Honestly I am now wondering if I should send it back for the 1.6 4GB 128GB SSD instead? any thoughts?

I called, the lady at apple told me I have 30 days to send it back, so hmmm... I don't know, I don't know. I also Have a Core i5 15" MBP that I do all my photo editing, video editing on. I just kinda bought this because, well, it's cool! Mostly for surfing the net while on the couch or on the go, I'm messing with it now and it seems blazingly fast truthfully!

Anyway, any thoughts? Would be appreciated, thanks!

miabadboys
Feb 17, 2011, 09:16 PM
Don't listen to the naysayers, just enjoy it! I looked at the 11" at Best Buy not too long ago. Granted it was brand new, but...wow....loved the size, weight, and build. For a system it's size, it was awesome.

Have fun, and ignore the negative comments. They're probably just jealous :rolleyes:

Anyday is a good day when you get a new/referb MacBook, yeah im jealous!!
Enjoy!!

shakeman0
Feb 17, 2011, 09:18 PM
I have purchased several refurbs from Apple and they have all been like new. I'm really impressed by their refurb service.

Lava Lamp Freak
Feb 17, 2011, 11:12 PM

Since WHEN is Windows 7 resolution independent? Way to go spreading FUD!

Windows 7 does have resolution independence, but it doesn't work very good. I tried it, but the way some apps handled it was annoying.

mabaker
Feb 18, 2011, 04:47 AM
Windows 7 does have resolution independence, but it doesn't work very good. I tried it, but the way some apps handled it was annoying.

Nope, it does not have any support for resolution independence, its been scrapped around Vista release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjm5TuK9UAM

Tiger has resolution rudimentary independence built in but its not enabled by default. ItS been scrapped later in Leopard as well.

Lava Lamp Freak
Feb 18, 2011, 09:20 AM
Nope, it does not have any support for resolution independence, it’s been scrapped around Vista release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjm5TuK9UAM

Tiger has resolution rudimentary independence built in but it’s not enabled by default. It’S been scrapped later in Leopard as well.

Maybe resolution independence means something different to you than me, but it is still there. I just tried it, and it actually works much better now than it did the last time I tried it, which was probably in the Windows 7 RC. Vista had it too, but Windows 7 made it much better. You can't change the dpi per app, as in that video you linked, though. It changes the dpi of the whole OS.

Here is how it works.

http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Change_DPI_Size_in_Windows_7_25979243

And last time I checked, it could still be enabled in Leopard.

mabaker
Feb 18, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Indeed the way Windows 7 handles what you call resolution independence is exactly the way windows 95 handled it and surely far from real resolution independence shown in he video given.

fhfuentes
Feb 27, 2011, 10:32 AM
cmon people were on macrumors talking about things we dislike, TRAGEDY totally appropriate here hahaha

nefan65
Feb 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
Lenovo X200S / X201S

12.1 WXGA+ 1440*900

I've seen and used one. Not that great. Again it was Win 7 and the colors were meh and bland.

It's great for spec whores. They love this stuff.

specialk0449
Feb 27, 2011, 12:49 PM
I just bought an 11" refurbished Air and I love using it. 2 gigs of ram is more than enough for me.

iJays
Feb 27, 2011, 01:00 PM

how about a bogey on one of the keys on the keyboard :)

brudog68
Feb 27, 2011, 03:08 PM
There's an 11" Ultimate re furb for sale in the Apple store right now $1189...$210 off...not bad...unfortunately it's gonna be another 2 weeks before I can take the plunge and I expect it gone by then...just FYI

But I guess if I purchase from another retailer with no tax and shipping Id only pay an extra $60+ for the new one

Devildistance
Feb 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
What type of packaging do the refurbs come in? Original MBA box? I am still trying to decide whether to go the refurb route or not. If Apple updates the Air to something I can't live without I'd like to to be able to sell this model. I know that the original box is a strong selling point for some.

Psilocybin
Feb 27, 2011, 04:47 PM
It comes exactly like it would if it was new I thought. Could be wrong

B.winkle
Feb 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
Congratulations on the refurb. I got the 13.3 MBP refurb and am delighted. Looks new.

DeusInvictus7
Feb 27, 2011, 04:55 PM
What type of packaging do the refurbs come in? Original MBA box? I am still trying to decide whether to go the refurb route or not. If Apple updates the Air to something I can't live without I'd like to to be able to sell this model. I know that the original box is a strong selling point for some.

It comes in very generic packaging. It's not a retail box with the picture of the MBA on it.

donster28
Feb 27, 2011, 07:27 PM

Editing on Final Cut Express is buttery smooth even on the base MBA with 2 GB of RAM. I agree just don't encode your project when you're done. Since you'll be using an external hard drive via USB for your edits, just encode your finished project at home. :)

twentytwo22
Feb 27, 2011, 08:20 PM

It comes in a box that is the same size/shape as the new one, but is completely white and blank. The inside has the same inserts/packaging etc, except some things say "Apple Certified Refurbished" instead of where it would normally say "Designed by Apple in California."

(Note that I am speaking generally of Apple refurbs and not particularly about the Air)