Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AWeber3030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, OH
Does anybody have an idea for how we are going to be able to instal Lion after its released onto the 11.6" MacBook Air?

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
Mac store maybe. Or they will give it on those thumb drives like they do with leopard now.

I'd expect the USB drives. Downloading a full OS upgrade would be somewhat challenging and possibly unreliable. Also, whenever I reinstall Snow Leopard on any machine, I use a USB drive I made from my SL retail disc. USB is way faster than discs.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Downloading a full OS upgrade would be somewhat challenging and possibly unreliable.

I don't think Apple will do this (and if they do, it wouldn't be the only option) but why would it be challenging or unreliable? They have the new NC server farm, and ~6 GB isn't that bad to download. Steam handles game downloads much larger than that just fine.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I don't think Apple will do this (and if they do, it wouldn't be the only option) but why would it be challenging or unreliable? They have the new NC server farm, and ~6 GB isn't that bad to download. Steam handles game downloads much larger than that just fine.

Your internet connection sounds wonderful. However, the wifi at my school is incredibly unreliable (cuts out every couple minutes), and the MBA does not have an ethernet port. Apple could easily use the same kind of USB drive they already do for the MBA reinstall drive (cheap and not rewritable) for Lion.

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
It may not have a built-in ethernet port, but the USB Ethernet adaptor does work when needed. But yeah, I wish that was included in the packaging instead of having to buy it separately.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Is there any reason they couldn't do USB across the board now? Don't all the Intel Macs that will be supported by Lion allow you to boot from USB?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Yes I imagine they will package Lion on USB stick in the same way as it packaged 10.6 restore for the new MBA revisions.

I think it would be too costly to manufacture & package separate DVD & USB versions, so therefore they'll probably opt just for the one format.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Is there any reason they couldn't do USB across the board now? Don't all the Intel Macs that will be supported by Lion allow you to boot from USB?

I agree. They’ve already indicated how it will be done by supplying the USB backup with the Air.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I fully expect Mac OS Lion to be distributed from Mac app store or release them on USB.

I will install it from mac apps store if they make it cheaper. If they give it to me on DVDs, o well. I will use my MBP with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.