PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Increases Tethering Data Plan Limit to 4 GB

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/02/15/atandt-increases-tethering-data-plan-limit-to-4-gb/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/02/15/103751-att_tethering_4gb.jpg

Following through on its announcement (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/02/atandt-to-bump-datapro-tethering-plan-to-4-gb-per-month/) from earlier this month that it would bump monthly data limits for customers on its DataPro + Tethering plan from 2 GB to 4 GB, AT&T has now sent out text messages to customers confirming that the change has been made.

AT&T's DataPro plan offers customers 2 GB of mobile data for $25 per month. The carrier had offered the ability for customers to tether computers to their iPhones for an additional $20 per month, but the plan offered no additional data for tethering beyond the standard 2 GB bucket. With the change, the $20 per month charge now effectively buys not only tethering privileges but also an additional 2 GB of data.

Article Link: AT&T Increases Tethering Data Plan Limit to 4 GB (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/02/15/atandt-increases-tethering-data-plan-limit-to-4-gb/)

TheRealTVGuy
Feb 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
Yes, but when will they turn on the HotSpot feature..?

CubusX
Feb 15, 2011, 09:55 AM
Jailbreaking gives you this privledge of tethering as well. :D

BTW you are still paying $10 extra for every 1GB over your capped plan, so you are still saving $20 a month with a jailbroken phone for the extra 2GB of data.

So in other words....

EAT IT AT&T!!!

KindredMAC
Feb 15, 2011, 10:03 AM
How about just turn on tethering/hotspot for FREE and then be VERY stringent about keeping to the 2GB limit?

I would like to be able to use my MacBook while on the road for very very brief moments using my iPhone as the gateway.

e-coli
Feb 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
Still criminal. That's as much as you pay for home high-speed Internet, except at 1/4 the speed and a 4 GB cap. That's insane. Equally crazy is a company having to "allow" you to use a device you paid for, and continue to pay for.

powaking
Feb 15, 2011, 10:41 AM
How about just turn on tethering/hotspot for FREE and then be VERY stringent about keeping to the 2GB limit?

I would like to be able to use my MacBook while on the road for very very brief moments using my iPhone as the gateway.

I agree. I mean isn't it in AT&Ts interest for you to consume as much data as possible so that you go over your limit and pay the overage charge? Putting a price on it will keep a lot of users from actually using it. Of course this would hurt them for those still with an unlimited plan.

jayducharme
Feb 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
IPutting a price on it will keep a lot of users from actually using it. Of course this would hurt them for those still with an unlimited plan.

I didn't think you could add tethering on an Unlimited plan (without jailbreaking). You had to downgrade to the 2gb "pro" plan and then add tethering on top of it.

KindredMAC
Feb 15, 2011, 12:32 PM
I didn't think you could add tethering on an Unlimited plan (without jailbreaking). You had to downgrade to the 2gb "pro" plan and then add tethering on top of it.

That's correct Jay.

I'm still on the grandfathered "Unlimited" plan but would gladly go to the 2GB Data Pro if tethering/HotSpot was a free option.

I like the Swiss Army Knife philosophy... I may not need or use a feature (like tethering) everyday or even once a month, but when the chips are down and I need to use it, I want to be able to have the option of using it.

Let me be responsible for my data usage. If I go over the 2GB total because I was tethering my MacBook too much then I am the responsible one who needs to pay the extra fees.

I think AT&T would end up making MORE $$$ using this philosophy.

reckless2k2
Feb 15, 2011, 12:40 PM
That's correct Jay.

I'm still on the grandfathered "Unlimited" plan but would gladly go to the 2GB Data Pro if tethering/HotSpot was a free option.

I like the Swiss Army Knife philosophy... I may not need or use a feature (like tethering) everyday or even once a month, but when the chips are down and I need to use it, I want to be able to have the option of using it.

Let me be responsible for my data usage. If I go over the 2GB total because I was tethering my MacBook too much then I am the responsible one who needs to pay the extra fees.

I think AT&T would end up making MORE $$$ using this philosophy.

Does Verizon and T-Mobile charge you for the privilege of tethering as well? I mean I know they have a few select phones with "free hotspot" but in general do they charge for tethering?

blueskymike
Feb 15, 2011, 01:16 PM
Just curious. Does anyone actually run up against the limit? And if you do, how do you use your phone and what kind of apps do you use?

In my case, I found I was using Wifi so much, my typical monthly usage was 200MB or less. Unless I start watching movies or You Tube a lot on my iPhone, that seems like a pretty good deal on bandwidth.

kdarling
Feb 15, 2011, 01:46 PM
Still criminal. That's as much as you pay for home high-speed Internet, except at 1/4 the speed and a 4 GB cap. That's insane.

If we all had dedicated wires connected to our handsets, and we never moved them from one location, that home analogy might work.

Instead, our phones can connect from almost anywhere, and have to share chunks of fairly limited cell bandwidth.

The prices we all pay today for wireless connections are incredibly cheap compared to ten years ago. Back then, most of us had 19Kbps (max) dialups on our phones, and were even charged by connection minutes, which made surfing the web pretty darned expensive unless you hurried ! (Many of us turned off picture downloads on our browsers to save money.)

Heck, 1GB of transfer at 10 cents a minute would've cost over $800.

Mr. Chewbacca
Feb 15, 2011, 02:16 PM
I would actually do this if it didnt block the iPad.

KindredMAC
Feb 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
If we all had dedicated wires connected to our handsets, and we never moved them from one location, that home analogy might work.

Instead, our phones can connect from almost anywhere, and have to share chunks of fairly limited cell bandwidth.

The prices we all pay today for wireless connections are incredibly cheap compared to ten years ago. Back then, most of us had 19Kbps (max) dialups on our phones, and were even charged by connection minutes, which made surfing the web pretty darned expensive unless you hurried ! (Many of us turned off picture downloads on our browsers to save money.)

Heck, 1GB of transfer at 10 cents a minute would've cost over $800.

There is one problem with your analogy kdarling... The internet today is a completely different evolved creature than 10 years ago.

What was YouTube 10 years ago? Nothing. It didn't exist for another 4 years. What was Facebook? Again, nothing.

Flash was something of minor thing and even MySpace hadn't been thought of yet.

Downloading a 3.2MB mp3 file was a half day thing even on cable modems back in the day.

There were no 1GB files to think about transferring let alone over a "high-speed" cable modem in 2001. Top of the line Power Mac G4's only came with 60-80 GB hard drives.

In today's internet climate, information consumption and sharing is what it is all about.

jclardy
Feb 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
Just curious. Does anyone actually run up against the limit? And if you do, how do you use your phone and what kind of apps do you use?

In my case, I found I was using Wifi so much, my typical monthly usage was 200MB or less. Unless I start watching movies or You Tube a lot on my iPhone, that seems like a pretty good deal on bandwidth.

I'm about the same as you, I have Wifi access at pretty much everywhere I go, but I often stream pandora to my car stereo and maybe update twitter or something while I am out somewhere.

So I end up using around 200-300MB a month which means I would be going over their smallest plan usage and might as well buy the 2GB. Now if I had tethering I would use a bit more data because I can finally connect the two via wifi.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Feb 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
Verizon gets the iPhone and you see all these cahnges on ATT

GeekLawyer
Feb 15, 2011, 03:27 PM
I would actually do this if it didnt block the iPad.That issue should go away if AT&T gives full access to the mobile hotspot feature in 4.3...

Biff...
Feb 15, 2011, 03:35 PM
Or I can use my jail broken iphone for free, any time I want. :D

Mr. Chewbacca
Feb 15, 2011, 03:42 PM
That issue should go away if AT&T gives full access to the mobile hotspot feature in 4.3...

That would be cool, 4gb is a pretty good number, I almost never use half that.

I have an unlimited plan but would bet money that when 4g comes out that will go away.

Feb 15, 2011, 03:44 PM

In a typical month I use somewhere between 300 and 400 MB since whenever I'm home I have Wifi. I rarely even approach the 2GB limit and that's with fairly frequent web usage.

Right now I'm at 470 MB halfway through the month, but the only reason I've used so much data was because I watched a 40 minute tv show on Netflix over 3G.

nsayer
Feb 15, 2011, 03:55 PM
And there was much rejoicing.

ctyhntr
Feb 15, 2011, 07:10 PM
All these changes are a reminder why competition is good for the consumer, and monopolies shouldn't be encouraged.

amethystjw
Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
Maybe I'm just pointing out the obvious here but it seems a bit strange for a company to charge for a set amount of a product (2GB data use) and then charge an additional fee to allow you to use that product by a different means (laptop connection).

It's like Coca-Cola charging you $2.50 for a can of Coke but then charging another $2.00 if you choose to drink that Coke using a straw. And to further the analogy, NOW Coke is saying you'll get an additional can for your $2.00 but that's not the point. I don't need another can; I just want to drink the first can with a straw and I shouldn't have to pay a ransom to do that.

Right?

ApexBoost
Feb 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
It's like Coca-Cola charging you $2.50 for a can of Coke but then charging another $2.00 if you choose to drink that Coke using a straw. And to further the analogy, NOW Coke is saying you'll get an additional can for your $2.00 but that's not the point. I don't need another can; I just want to drink the first can with a straw and I shouldn't have to pay a ransom to do that.

Right?

Its a little different as the coke is a physical product and the tethering and data usage is a service. While I agree its not completely right, they can and do do this. Its an additional service that you want and have to pay for, similar to wanting movie channels on top of your standard cable service.

flyingember
Feb 16, 2011, 03:56 PM
Does Verizon and T-Mobile charge you for the privilege of tethering as well? I mean I know they have a few select phones with "free hotspot" but in general do they charge for tethering?

Verizon does, and it costs more too.

BriarCoop
Feb 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
My first post guys. Here goes. I have an Iphone 4 and it's great. I have not jailbroke it yet but I think I would like to. I hear a lot of cool stuff about the jailbreak. I have the old unlimited data plan and now AT&T has decided not to offer this plan anymore. I use my Iphone as a player for satellite radio so I crush the current data plans. AT&T needs to serve it's customers better and not manipulate us to please the shareholders. Bring back the unlimited option and give people more choices. I have a Virgin Mobile MyFi Hotspot that is $40 a month flat with no contract and guess what it works pretty good. My MacBook Pro & Ipad work well with it and AT&T has nothing close with this flexibility.

ljay
Feb 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
I would actually do this if it didnt block the iPad.These photos show my Ipad tethered to my iphone. I plan on dropping my Ipad 3G plan soon.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8784/p1010055z.th.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/p1010055z.jpg/)

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8840/p1010056oa.th.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/i/p1010056oa.jpg/)

meatling
Feb 17, 2011, 09:17 AM
are you jail broken or can you tether to an IPad without the jail break. I am confused sorry. I thought that under the AT&T tethering paln IPads were excluded. I have the unlimited plan still and was debating to cancel my IPad 3g service. Just concerned about giving up the unlimited.......

EDH667
Feb 17, 2011, 09:57 AM
are you jail broken or can you tether to an IPad without the jail break. I am confused sorry. I thought that under the AT&T tethering paln IPads were excluded. I have the unlimited plan still and was debating to cancel my IPad 3g service. Just concerned about giving up the unlimited.......

On the new IOS version 4.3 which should be out soon, you can use the AT&T tethering plan to tether the iPad using either Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi hotspot, and tether to a laptop via USB without jail breaking.

meatling
Feb 17, 2011, 10:42 AM
so that seems like it would be cheaper to do 20 to tether than to pay 25 for 2g that I don't use on my IPad. Any thoughts about giving up the unlimited. I use like 800-900mb on the phone and like 500-600 on the IPad. These are my high months not averages. I seem to increase every month. Not sure what to do now...... Any thoughts from anybody in the same situation or thoughts on giving up an unlimited plan when it seems like we as users will be using more data not less...

ljay
Feb 17, 2011, 02:32 PM
I'm not jailbroken...i'm just using IOS 4.3beta2 which enables hot spot usage. I plan on dumping my 3g plan because even with unlimited data I have never used more than 1.2GB's on my Ipad and I spend at least an hour each day streaming slacker radio to and from work and I also stream netflix movies constantly while traveling for work. I also let my kid use my Ipad regularly to watch youtube videos and I haven't gotten to the 2GB 25 dollar limit.

Kenrik
Feb 21, 2011, 07:43 AM
I stream music 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I use about 6GB per month.

AT&T... Let me keep my unlimited when I add on the tethering and we have a deal. otherwise... no dice and I'll keep using iProxy.

Cinemagic
Feb 22, 2011, 09:26 PM

You mean AT&T should NOT charge you twice for the same data? Do you think they could remain competitive by treating customers fairly? AT&T is trying to make customers think they're being the nice guys. The fact still remains that you have to pay AT&T for data usage. By them charging additional amounts to tether means that you are paying twice for the same amount of data used. It's a rip off whether it's 2GB or 4GB.

Jailbreak and use MyWi. Refuse to allow AT&T to cheat you. When AT&T starts being fair with their customers, then I'll think better of them.

aggiechick
Feb 23, 2011, 07:12 AM
I, for one, am glad for the increased data allowance. When Verizon totally screwed up all of our home FIOS services last weekend and we were SOL for internet access (plus TV and home phone) until they figured out the issue, I was happy to upgrade my plan on my iPhone to allow for tethering. iPhone tethering is still cheaper than paying for a separate 3G plan for may laptop. Plus, I'm not a fan of the idea of jailbreaking my iPhone while it is still under warranty. I've had to get two replacements (first one due to SIM card issue and it's replacement with a battery/signal issue) in the last month. Jailbreaking supposedly voids your warranty. I did it on my old 3Gs once it was out of warranty, but I won't be doing it to this phone.

eNcrypTioN
Feb 23, 2011, 01:19 PM
I could have home internet access for the price that AT&T wants for this. Gessh :eek: But none the less more data is a good thing.

skellener
Feb 24, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'd rather see AT&T lower the $39.99 iPhone minutes plan by $20. I barely ever use any minutes at all. Then I'd pay the $20 for the hotspot no problem. Easy! They get their $20 for hotspot and I stop paying for minutes I never use. It'll never happen so it's back to MyWi. :rolleyes:

blevins321
Feb 24, 2011, 10:03 PM
Jailbreaking supposedly voids your warranty. I did it on my old 3Gs once it was out of warranty, but I won't be doing it to this phone.

"Technically" they won't help with software problems if you take in a jailbroken phone. But you can just do an iTunes restore if you're having issues to take it back to a non-JB state. There's no way for them to tell it was jailbroken if you do this.

Shellbo6901
Feb 25, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'd rather see AT&T lower the $39.99 iPhone minutes plan by $20. I barely ever use any minutes at all. Then I'd pay the $20 for the hotspot no problem. Easy! They get their $20 for hotspot and I stop paying for minutes I never use. It'll never happen so it's back to MyWi. :rolleyes:

i'm in the same boat ):
i rarely go over 25-50 minutes a month.

fourthtunz
Mar 1, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'd be the first to say that all phones are too d@mn expensive!
When ATT up the data limit to 4gig and gives 1000 minutes,
How can we complain?
I don't have dsl so and need internet access on a remote computer so
this plan rocks!
I just started tethering in January, because we finally got 3g up here
and was happy to have it but getting charged for going over 2 gig sucks!
No worries now!
Sorry this doesn't work for other people but this rocks and I'll stay with att a bit longer.