PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Airs New Ad Pushing $49 iPhone 3GS

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/02/15/atandt-airs-new-ad-pushing-49-iphone-3gs/)

In yet another attempt to differentiate its own iPhone offerings from those of Verizon, AT&T has begun airing (http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/15/att-airs-iphone-3gs-8gb-49-commercial/) a new television commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6pvaN1PS4) promoting the 8 GB iPhone 3GS and its recently-lowered $49 price tag.The iPhone 3GS from AT&T. The phone that changed everything. But think about it - how can you make one of the most amazing phones the world has ever seen more amazing? Make it $49. Yep, that'll work. The iPhone 3GS. Now at a price that changes everything too. In the network, amazing is affordable. AT&T. Rethink possible.Verizon of course only offers the iPhone 4 in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities, with prices beginning at $199 with a two-year contract. AT&T offers the same prices on the iPhone 4, but is able to also carry the 8 GB iPhone 3GS introduced by Apple last June as a low-end alternative to the iPhone 4.

Article Link: AT&T Airs New Ad Pushing $49 iPhone 3GS (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/02/15/atandt-airs-new-ad-pushing-49-iphone-3gs/)

jclardy
Feb 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
Sweet, save $150 now but still pay the same $2000 over the next 24 months!

I guess you could get the smaller data plan, but even then voice and texts are still expensive when compared to other carriers like T-Mobile or Sprint.

MyMac8MyPC
Feb 15, 2011, 11:47 AM

I know that's the first thing I thought of too :p

I won't be giving either company my money until they offer a pre-paid plan. I'll pay for the phone outright but I don't want to be anchored to any contract :apple:

spazzcat
Feb 15, 2011, 11:48 AM

Same price as any other smartphone on ATT or VZW...I find phones are useless without the ability to make calls or text....

ciTiger
Feb 15, 2011, 12:04 PM
lol, even if it was free the contract blows it..

jclardy
Feb 15, 2011, 12:13 PM
Same price as any other smartphone on ATT or VZW...I find phones are useless without the ability to make calls or text....

Yes I agree, I was just saying if you are going to be on a contract that costs around $70+ per month you might as well spend an extra $150 up front and get a better phone.

Of course some people might rather have the extra $150 than the better phone.

iHeartapple2
Feb 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have the iPhone 4 and with this price point I was finally able to convince the wife to switch carriers and phones. She got the 3 GS and loves it even though I tried to convince her into getting the iPhone 4! I don't think most women are into technology like us guys and this phone is all she really needs. I'm just happy to see her using a iPhone at last! :)

MacBoucher
Feb 15, 2011, 12:36 PM
I'm waiting for iPhone 5 on Verizon. AT&T's network is terrible and I've had many arguments with them for having no service inside my own home, even though I am in a 100% coverage area, they keep saying it's a "low cell area" of the city and want me to purchase a microcell for $149.99. Are you kidding me??? No way. I wouldn't buy another AT&T iPhone. My contract ends in 4 months...

Ziger Woods
Feb 15, 2011, 12:40 PM
My wife just got one and she loves it! The only reason she didn't get one before is because of price, so once she saw this it was a no brainer! Obviously not the iP4, but still a great phone at a great price!

BC2009
Feb 15, 2011, 12:42 PM
I have the iPhone 4 and with this price point I was finally able to convince the wife to switch carriers and phones. She got the 3 GS and loves it even though I tried to convince her into getting the iPhone 4! I don't think most women are into technology like us guys and this phone is all she really needs. I'm just happy to see her using a iPhone at last! :)

Some women yes, but my wife is more like yours in that regard. I told her that this summer we are going to upgrade our iPhone 3Gs phones to iPhone 5 and she responded "why? my iPhone works great". It took me a minute to collect my thoughts because I had to change perspectives in order to give her a reason she would buy into. I told her it would give her an awesome camera in her pocket at all times to take pictures of the kids. She still isn't sold on it, but I'm hoping that this is one of those areas that I just get my way since she typically lets me make the technology decisions since I do all the family tech support. It was much easier getting her to go from an LG Shine to iPhone 3Gs once she saw my iPhone 3Gs.

iHeartapple2
Feb 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Some women yes, but my wife is more like yours in that regard. I told her that this summer we are going to upgrade our iPhone 3Gs phones to iPhone 5 and she responded "why? my iPhone works great". It took me a minute to collect my thoughts because I had to change perspectives in order to give her a reason she would buy into. I told her it would give her an awesome camera in her pocket at all times to take pictures of the kids. She still isn't sold on it, but I'm hoping that this is one of those areas that I just get my way since she typically lets me make the technology decisions since I do all the family tech support. It was much easier getting her to go from an LG Shine to iPhone 3Gs once she saw my iPhone 3Gs.

Well if you can't get her to go for the iPhone 5 at least maybe the iPhone 4. I am sure the price will be reduced this summer.

Moomba
Feb 15, 2011, 01:15 PM
I too am waiting to upgrade my 3G to a Verizon iPhone 5 when available. I just can't understand why anyone in their right mind would go for a 3GS at this point.

It's not just about the features of the phone, but about overall support for the phone. Apple has discontinued firmware updates for the 2G & 3G iPhones, and it stands to reason that they will be dropping support for the 3GS (likely by the end of this year.) While the devices themselves will still function you may find you are limited in which apps you can/cannot run.

IMHO it makes no logical sense to pay $50 now (plus ~$100/mo) to be locked into a phone for 2 years that may not retain functionality through that period.

I can understand a base iPhone nano type device that is strictly designed for voice calls, sms, photos, and maybe a little web browsing be a good match for this type of user.

...I don't know why I'm bothering posting this... everyone here already knows all of this. The people that it would help aren't going to be looking at this thread anyway. Have a nice day. ;)

Tailpike1153
Feb 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
I too am waiting to upgrade my 3G to a Verizon iPhone 5 when available. I just can't understand why anyone in their right mind would go for a 3GS at this point.

It's not just about the features of the phone, but about overall support for the phone. Apple has discontinued firmware updates for the 2G & 3G iPhones, and it stands to reason that they will be dropping support for the 3GS (likely by the end of this year.) While the devices themselves will still function you may find you are limited in which apps you can/cannot run.

IMHO it makes no logical sense to pay $50 now (plus ~$100/mo) to be locked into a phone for 2 years that may not retain functionality through that period.

I can understand a base iPhone nano type device that is strictly designed for voice calls, sms, photos, and maybe a little web browsing be a good match for this type of user.

...I don't know why I'm bothering posting this... everyone here already knows all of this. The people that it would help aren't going to be looking at this thread anyway. Have a nice day. ;)

THe price is right. Lots of women, my gf, like phone that are cute and/or inexpensive. Paying $100 for a phone doesn't feel right when there are things like shoes and clothes to spend on. Chicks go figure.;)

gkarris
Feb 15, 2011, 04:16 PM

Should be FREE and a $240 rebate on your bill...

gyudien
Feb 15, 2011, 04:50 PM
I'm waiting for iPhone 5 on Verizon. AT&T's network is terrible and I've had many arguments with them for having no service inside my own home, even though I am in a 100% coverage area, they keep saying it's a "low cell area" of the city and want me to purchase a microcell for $149.99. Are you kidding me??? No way. I wouldn't buy another AT&T iPhone. My contract ends in 4 months...

But have you seen this offer for a free microcell that AT&T is making to select customers? (no harm in asking them if they'd do the same for you...):

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/02/att-to-some-iphone-users-stay-with-us-and-get-a-free-microcell.ars

redgaz26
Feb 15, 2011, 05:00 PM
for a nearly 2 year old phone????????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
free maybe but even then!!

miamialley
Feb 15, 2011, 05:36 PM

I won't be giving either company my money until they offer a pre-paid plan. I'll pay for the phone outright but I don't want to be anchored to any contract :apple:

Have fun with your Motorola Razr old man!

Kwill
Feb 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
It seems too soon now, but I imagine when the iPhone 5 is out, there may be a $49 iPhone 4. Either way, the current offer is a good deal.

Springsea
Feb 15, 2011, 08:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dudes, get over your sexist views on women and technology. It is a good deal and makes sense to anyone money conscious. I'm thinking about replacing my dying 3G, at least until the 5 comes out.

wordoflife
Feb 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the 3GS gets crippled with the next major version of iOS. I'm going to try to keep my phone on 4.x (unless there is a killer - must have feature [notifications?] that I need to try). I'm hoping that I can just get a new iPhone at that point though.

TheyCallMeSaint
Feb 16, 2011, 12:49 AM

Watcha talking about, Willis? Sure, it might not get the iOS6 update, but it still retains its "functionality". It's not like it somehow becomes obsolete or unusable once it can't get the latest update. I know several people using the iPhone 3G and apparently some people still use the original iPhone. It can still make calls, text, browse the web, run apps etc.

That said, I would agree with you. If you're gonna pay the contract, might as well pay the extra and get a good, more supported phone up-front. However, if cost is that big of an inhibition (or you're not a tech enthusiast), might as well get the much cheaper 3GS, which by all accounts is equivalent to many mid-range Android devices currently available.

bretm
Feb 16, 2011, 12:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dudes, get over your sexist views on women and technology. It is a good deal and makes sense to anyone money conscious. I'm thinking about replacing my dying 3G, at least until the 5 comes out.

?? You'd still be signing a 2 year contract, and inelegible for an upgrade to the 5 for 21 months.

malcolmffc
Feb 16, 2011, 01:13 AM
How many suckers will fall for this bribe? Who wants to get stuck into a $2000 contract for a phone that will be nearly 4 years old by the time it ends?

EazyWeazy3
Feb 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
Should be free imo.

ApexBoost
Feb 17, 2011, 12:49 PM
I feel it would be a better deal if it didn't lock you in for another two years, instead just a cheap upgrade for those already in a contract.

davidgrimm
Feb 18, 2011, 04:34 PM

I had a similar problem - no ATT service at my house. So when my contract with ATT ended in August I left and got a month-to-month no-contract phone from another carrier. It was the worlds worst phone and every day was torture. I finally got an iPhone 4 on Verizon and it works at my house and I'm very happy. I thought about waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out, but I couldn't stand another day with that crappy NOKIA phone.

Yeah, its $150 and it uses your broadband. Oh, and you still burning minutes when you use your phone on it. I'm not interested in making up for ATT's networks shortcomings by buying my own personal cell tower.

L I G H T I N G
Feb 19, 2011, 08:16 PM

ahahaha

umad?

ITASOR
Feb 19, 2011, 09:53 PM

If you buy the iPhone outright, you can sign up for the plan as month-to-month. They aren't subsidizing the phone, so you don't need to sign a long term contract. No?

trebmal
Feb 20, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have a 2 and a half year old iPhone 3G...I'm sick of it not being too smart any more and I'm in need of an upgrade. Any suggestions? I don't know how much longer I can wait, I'd love an iPhone 4, maybe switch to Verizon but I'm more or less happy with AT&T. Also, if I upgrade the AT&T plan will I lose the unlimited data package? I can call AT&T, but haven't yet, plus I know they will try to talk me into stuff, and at least here I can get fairly unbiased advice based on my situation.

thanks!

McBeats
Feb 20, 2011, 06:04 PM

check and mate, ATT

Matty-p
Feb 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
I have a 2 and a half year old iPhone 3G...I'm sick of it not being too smart any more and I'm in need of an upgrade. Any suggestions? I don't know how much longer I can wait, I'd love an iPhone 4, maybe switch to Verizon but I'm more or less happy with AT&T. Also, if I upgrade the AT&T plan will I lose the unlimited data package? I can call AT&T, but haven't yet, plus I know they will try to talk me into stuff, and at least here I can get fairly unbiased advice based on my situation.

thanks!
wait a 3/4 months for the iphone 5 if you can

HVDynamo
Feb 21, 2011, 06:37 PM

thanks!

I was in exactly your same position about 2 weeks ago. I finally got sick enough to do it. I got the 16GB iPhone 4, stayed with AT&T because I really don't have a problem with their service where I live, and I was able to keep my unlimited plan by simply asking if I could keep it. I just went to the apple store to do it. I was trying to hold out for the iPhone 5, but I was getting sick of being pissed off at the speed of the phone all the time.

kuebby
Feb 22, 2011, 12:01 AM

Upgrading your phone doesn't invalidate your unlimited plan. You're always grandfathered in if you already have it.

chaoticbear
Feb 22, 2011, 07:23 AM
MacRumors: now with more sexism. Because only you know what's right for women.

eNcrypTioN
Feb 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
This should be free. With the iPhone 5 coming out in the near future you'd have to be crazy to even consider purchasing this.

Muscleflex
Feb 25, 2011, 04:52 PM
that's it - iphone is the new nokia now - every kid on the block will have one! :mad:

Xenomorph
Feb 27, 2011, 12:14 PM
that's it - iphone is the new nokia now - every kid on the block will have one! :mad:

Is that a bad thing?

The iPhone is the best. Shouldn't everyone have the best? Or are you worried it will become less "cool" to have an iPhone?

Besides, I didn't get mine to look cool. I got mine because it worked better than other phones, and AT&T is the best network where I live.

ment
Mar 1, 2011, 02:10 AM
Free download:confused:http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/02/15/atandt-airs-new-ad-pushing-49-iphone-3gs/)

In yet another attempt to differentiate its own iPhone offerings from those of Verizon, AT&T has begun airing (http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/15/att-airs-iphone-3gs-8gb-49-commercial/) a new television commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6pvaN1PS4) promoting the 8 GB iPhone 3GS and its recently-lowered $49 price tag.Verizon of course only offers the iPhone 4 in 16 GB and 32 GB capacities, with prices beginning at $199 with a two-year contract. AT&T offers the same prices on the iPhone 4, but is able to also carry the 8 GB iPhone 3GS introduced by Apple last June as a low-end alternative to the iPhone 4.

Article Link: AT&T Airs New Ad Pushing $49 iPhone 3GS (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2011/02/15/atandt-airs-new-ad-pushing-49-iphone-3gs/)

blueraja
Mar 2, 2011, 08:35 AM
My local AT&T store is handing out 16gb white 3gs's for $49. They are refurbs, I picked one up for my wife (was already on the family plan) it looks brand new...if you dont mind refurb (with apple I seem to have better luck with refurb than new) its definitely the way to go. Anyway, its unadvertised but many of the AT&T stores supposedly have them you just have to ask.