Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hi all, I maintain a website for the company I work for.

What I need is someone to look at the code and tell me if there are any problems with it as far as SEO. I did create the site using Dreamweaver but in design mode so I'm sure the code is probably really bad.

Thanks in advance,

http://www.fosterhydraulics.com

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
couple things i noticed quickly:

validate your code. while there are some that argue that this doesn't matter, a properly formatted document makes it easier for a search engine to spider.

no meta description. while most major search engines don't utilize meta keywords, meta description is still used. create a meaningful description that describes the current page.

multiple h1 tags. and you have instances where it wraps a non breaking space. You should really limit a page to one instance of an h1 tag. I'd convert most of your h1 tags to h2 and create a meaningful h1 title that reflects the page.

you also have multiple empty h2 tags as well.

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
couple things i noticed quickly:

validate your code. while there are some that argue that this doesn't matter, a properly formatted document makes it easier for a search engine to spider.

no meta description. while most major search engines don't utilize meta keywords, meta description is still used. create a meaningful description that describes the current page.

multiple h1 tags. and you have instances where it wraps a non breaking space. You should really limit a page to one instance of an h1 tag. I'd convert most of your h1 tags to h2 and create a meaningful h1 title that reflects the page.

you also have multiple empty h2 tags as well.

Thanks for taking the time to look it over.
I really have no idea how to fix these problems, I don't know code, just used the design view - WYSIWYG.
I would like to find someone that would be willing to help fix these problems. The only local web design firm are crooks.

Would any of you pros like to discus doing this?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Hi all, I maintain a website for the company I work for.

What I need is someone to look at the code and tell me if there are any problems with it as far as SEO. I did create the site using Dreamweaver but in design mode so I'm sure the code is probably really bad.

Thanks in advance,

http://www.fosterhydraulics.com

When did you make it? ... these things take time for Google to crawl.

Validating your code is not the be all and end all ... sites such as Google, Nike, ESPN and even Apple do not validate 100% ... Google has more errors than mine and look at Google ... it has nothing on it.

Here is what you need to do ... go to Google webmaster tools and put their verification code into your site to verify it with them. then submit it to Google, Yahoo and Bing.

and most important ... check for spelling errors ... I noticed that "Trailers" is spelled "Trialers" in your keywords

And Keywords do definitely work ... they work for me very well and I do not pay for SEO.

good luck

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
When did you make it? ... these things take time for Google to crawl.

Validating your code is not the be all and end all ... sites such as Google, Nike, ESPN and even Apple do not validate 100% ... Google has more errors than mine and look at Google ... it has nothing on it.

Here is what you need to do ... go to Google webmaster tools and put their verification code into your site to verify it with them. then submit it to Google, Yahoo and Bing.

and most important ... check for spelling errors ... I noticed that "Trailers" is spelled "Trialers" in your keywords

And Keywords do definitely work ... they work for me very well and I do not pay for SEO.

good luck

It's actually been up for over a year. I do show up on Google and Bing but would like to get a little higher ranking. The site is verified and has been submitted. Just thinking there must be something that could be improved.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at it.

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
OK A couple of other things that can help.
1) signup to google webmaster tools and add the site to it. This a wonderful place to get detailed information about how Google sees your site.

2) Create a robots.txt file. You can create one inside webmaster tools, and then upload it to your site. It is not essential to have one, but it cant hurt to make sure you're telling the spiders that you want the site crawled.

3) Create an xml sitemap for the site and upload it to your server. There is a great free service here http://www.xml-sitemaps.com. just follow the instructions, it is dead easy, download the uncompressed sitemap and upload to your server.

4) Add the site map to your google webmaster tools. Inside webmaster tools you will find a place you can tell google where your sitemap is. This will help google find all your pages, as well as showing you how many pages google has actually crawled.

5) After 1 month of being with webmaster tools, log in and see what keyword information Google has generated for your site. From here you can see the keywords and phrases Google has applied to your site from crawling the content. Use this info to make edits to your copy / page titles / meta description.

See how you go, drop me a line if you need help.

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
OK A couple of other things that can help.
1) signup to google webmaster tools and add the site to it. This a wonderful place to get detailed information about how Google sees your site.

2) Create a robots.txt file. You can create one inside webmaster tools, and then upload it to your site. It is not essential to have one, but it cant hurt to make sure you're telling the spiders that you want the site crawled.

3) Create an xml sitemap for the site and upload it to your server. There is a great free service here http://www.xml-sitemaps.com. just follow the instructions, it is dead easy, download the uncompressed sitemap and upload to your server.

4) Add the site map to your google webmaster tools. Inside webmaster tools you will find a place you can tell google where your sitemap is. This will help google find all your pages, as well as showing you how many pages google has actually crawled.

5) After 1 month of being with webmaster tools, log in and see what keyword information Google has generated for your site. From here you can see the keywords and phrases Google has applied to your site from crawling the content. Use this info to make edits to your copy / page titles / meta description.

See how you go, drop me a line if you need help.

Thanks Simon,
I just uploaded the site map and got both google and bing pointed to it.
I still need to work on meta description and tags. Also need to get more key words on the site itself.
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.:)

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
There are also a number of free SEO applications that will check the sites SEO rating and advise on what you need to do to fix it.

I use Traffic Travis (get free version, not paid) and it has a module that allows you to check your pages against the keywords you are targeting and then scores them for you.

There are also a number of firefox / chrome plugins that do a similar job, but I'm not very familiar with them.

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
There are also a number of free SEO applications that will check the sites SEO rating and advise on what you need to do to fix it.

I use Traffic Travis (get free version, not paid) and it has a module that allows you to check your pages against the keywords you are targeting and then scores them for you.

There are also a number of firefox / chrome plugins that do a similar job, but I'm not very familiar with them.

I installed a Chrome plug in called Chrome SEO, I'll have to do some research on how to use it.

Is there a Mac program like Traffic Travis? I don't have the budget for anything with recurring charges. Noble Samurai seems,,,, Just don't have a good feeling about that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.