Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Applespider said:
I hope those going from 1Mb to 2MB get a reduction though!
So do I!

<<1MB BT Broadband user. Wouldn't surprise me one iota if we didn't, though. What's the betting the download caps are rather more strictly enforced after this "gift"?

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
You guys are lucky. Here in the know as Ohio, SBC doesn't give speed boosts, no insead we get price drops. But, then again this isn't cable. Where i live all we can get for "high speed" is DSL. I don't know what would make me happier, speed increase or a price drop from $30 to alittle over $25. All for 1.5MB.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Sweetfeld28 said:
You guys are lucky. Here in the know as Ohio, SBC doesn't give speed boosts, no insead we get price drops.
Beggars, choosers...
But, then again this isn't cable. Where i live all we can get for "high speed" is DSL.
So is this ;)
I don't know what would make me happier, speed increase or a price drop from $30 to alittle over $25. All for 1.5MB.
I've been paying £30/month for 1024/256. $1 = £0.53... you want to talk about lucky?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Applespider said:
I hope those going from 1Mb to 2MB get a reduction though!

Think I've found the answer to this one.

There's no price reduction but rather a difference in the cap. Those who were on the 512 option will have a 15GB cap, those on the 1Mb version will have a 30GB cap. The difference in price between caps is either £3 or £5 depending on whether you have normal BT broadband or Yahoo BT broadband. :confused:

Must say I have no idea how much I use at present!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Applespider said:
Think I've found the answer to this one.
Must say I have no idea how much I use at present!
Where'd you find that?

I'm not so sure how much I use, either. [opens Azureus] ...holy mackerel! :eek:

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
There are no mentions about if the upload speeds are increasing as 256k upstream is a bit poo.

still good news though

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
It is good to see this

The package that I have will now go from 512k to 2mbps

Does anyone know what the max distance will have to be or if there is one at all?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It's about bloody time is all I can say. Blueyonder (cable) have given 2 big boosts in the last year, BT are playing catch up. Awesome news for all those BT subscribers out there!!! Congrats!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i'm with NTL and am waiting for my upgrade from 1.5mb to 3mb which was promised at the start of 05 lol so that means summer but i may have to pay £25 admin fee for the pleasure and i will get a 40gb bar per month as well o well .not too sure what upload will be though !

if only BT offerd super speed broadband then i would go with them in a heartbeat 2 / 4 / 8 mb arrr maybe one day

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Tom, was reading somewhere that BT are trialling an 8MB service from April with the expectation that it will roll out in the autumn. And they're apparently supposed to be starting trials of ADSL2 (up to 18MB) later this year too...

...of course, whether any of it appears in a decent timeframe is akin to counting pigs flying past the window :rolleyes:

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Applespider said:
Tom, was reading somewhere that BT are trialling an 8MB service from April with the expectation that it will roll out in the autumn. And they're apparently supposed to be starting trials of ADSL2 (up to 18MB) later this year too...

...of course, whether any of it appears in a decent timeframe is akin to counting pigs flying past the window :rolleyes:

you should see the 8mbps speeds fairly soon. my isp in australia is doing 8mbps/1mbps. the speed depends on your distance from the exchange and noise on the line. i'm getting 6mbps/768kbps. they (the isp) are hinting that the next level of adsl will be available in 12 to 18 months. you might see flying pigs sooner than you thought (but it is BT....if they are anything like the au telstra.....good luck).

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
in ohio

I am in Ohio (for a short while) and we get 5 Mb dl and at least 1 up for abt 40USD a month.

Funny facts, when i was at University, in Colorado.... Our campus had more bandwidth than 5 Eastern European countries combined.

So when I see one of those countries advertise 9USD for 128Kb a month, for a cable connection, i feel like a snob :(

Also, several times the net was down between Europe and USA, so all my European friends with Hotmail accounts couldn't read their email on the Hotmail servers located in the USA. Damn M$crosoft ;)

Cheers to Brits getting a better deal

mac-help

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
UK
BT Speed Bump

Has anyone had there BT speed bump yet, still waiting for it in Manchester.

Very interesed to see if the 256k upload speed has been increased at all.

If not, looks like I'll have to go for a hosted service.

Has anyone seen any cheap SDSL Uk packages, or are they still a stupid price ?

I would really like to get 2mbs up and down !!

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Anyone know any news of the supposed Ntl speed upgrades? I'm on 750kbps at the moment, but thats shared between three students so we could do with the upgrade!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
mac-help said:
Has anyone had there BT speed bump yet, still waiting for it in Manchester.
Very interesed to see if the 256k upload speed has been increased at all.
Yes. 25-something-something down, 288 up.

15 or 30GB cap enforced, once the limit is hit you're cut to 150kbit until next billing cycle! :eek:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
brap said:
I've been paying £30/month for 1024/256. $1 = £0.53... you want to talk about lucky?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I get 2048/192 for $45 (£17). That's a recent offering though, 6 months ago I was stuck on 128/128 for $60 (£23). So, 6 months ago I would've said you were the lucky one.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
I remember reading that it will take something like 5 months for everyone to be upgraded, of course they will let you know via e-mail when they are upgrading your exchange

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I'm still waiting too although there has been a date of 9 March for completion of Yahoo 1MB members and 15 March for 512 members bandied about on adslguide.org.uk forums.

You can actually phone BT, sign up to a new 3 month contract with the 15GB cap (not so good if you're currently on 1MB with a 30GB one) and get it down more or less immediately. If nothing's happened by 15 March, then I might do that rather than hang about for up to 4 months.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
well good - i have just found out that my 1Mbit pipex adsl is being doubled to 2Mbit for free. whoo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.