Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I don’t know if anyone’s already seen this or not, but it’s certainly the first time I have.
Sony have released the GRX516SP VAIO Notebook, complete with built in DVD-R drive!
So this mean the drives are now down at a scale where they can be squeezed into a notebook form factor, in which case maybe seeing a SuperDrive in the next rev of the TiBooks isn’t to unrealistic.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Apple is pretty much forced to get an upgrade to the powerbook out that supports a superdrive now. Sony is probably one of the biggest competitors for the digital video user market (on the PC side). I personally would never buy a Sony computer if I was buying a PC, but some people like their Viao's.

Come on Steve, give us an early holiday present

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Superdrive in a TiBook....... that's what I need...... :) Along with Dual processors..... :)

If something similar does make an appearance in the next month or so..... Apple can take a few grand of my cash in exchange for one........ :D

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
seeing as sony make DVD-RW/CDRW combo drives themselves it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't release compact versions for laptops till well after they've used them as a selling point for their own laptop range.

Why would they suddenly let apple and others use thier drive if it might mean losing sony vaio sales ?

Saying that, it's the first I've heard of a company making a dvd-rw for a laptop and I could be wrong about it being a sony drive.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: SuperDrive in TiBook not so unrealistic?

So this mean the drives are now down at a scale where they can be squeezed into a notebook form factor, in which case maybe seeing a SuperDrive in the next rev of the TiBooks isn’t to unrealistic. [/B]

I believe this Sony notebook is over 1.5 inches thick though...maybe even 1.8 inches thick. I could be wrong, but Sony, as well as other PC manufactuers have been making tankbooks... 8-9lbs, 15-16" Screens, HUGE footprint etc. Maybe it will still be hard to get a SuperDrive in a 1" thick notebook, but Apple will do it soon. By the way, the Sony is supposedly available in Japan now. I own a Sony and a Apple...and have no problem liking both.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: SuperDrive in TiBook not so unrealistic?

Originally posted by JSRockit

I believe this Sony notebook is over 1.5 inches thick though...maybe even 1.8 inches thick. I could be wrong, but Sony, as well as other PC manufactuers have been making tankbooks... 8-9lbs, 15-16" Screens, HUGE footprint etc. Maybe it will still be hard to get a SuperDrive in a 1" thick notebook, but Apple will do it soon. By the way, the Sony is supposedly available in Japan now. I own a Sony and a Apple...and have no problem liking both.
I do realise that the VAIO is thicker than the TiBook, but still the point is that the drive has been shruck now to a size where it can fit into any notebook, it's just a matter of time (or technology) until they have it small enough to fit into the TiBook, and my bet is they allready can do this, it's just when they decide to release it....and in my book a 1Ghz Ti w/ SuperDrive would make an ideal launchpad.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Re: Re: SuperDrive in TiBook not so unrealistic?

Originally posted by verbose101

I do realise that the VAIO is thicker than the TiBook, but still the point is that the drive has been shruck now to a size where it can fit into any notebook, it's just a matter of time (or technology) until they have it small enough to fit into the TiBook, and my bet is they allready can do this, it's just when they decide to release it....and in my book a 1Ghz Ti w/ SuperDrive would make an ideal launchpad.

You have a point...and I hope it happens...but Apple may have to change the PowerBook as we know it to add more than just a SuperDrive...I just hope they don't go the way of the current trend in PC laptops. Way Too BIG!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
get real

Well it's definitely not beyond the realm of possibility, but just because Sony did it doesn't mean Apple's gonna do it anytime soon.

As someone mentioned, the VAIO is considerably thicker (4 cm to Powerbook's 2.6 cm). If I remember correctly, they had CDRW-DVD combo drives in notebooks (including the iBook) long before Apple was able to fit in a SLOT-LOADING burner into the TiBook.

So for the TiBook, you're gonna have to find a burner that's:

1. slot-loading
2. thin enough

I've yet to see any manufacturer meat EITHER of these requirements...

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Basically...it seems like Apple has to change the PB case or wait...but then again, I don't know everything that is available...or will be available. Maybe Apple has something up their sleeve. I don't even need a SuperDrive. I'd rather have more VRAM and a faster processor.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
The best thing about that article is that they show Apple and Pioneers stock prices below...even CNET is speculating.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
:D

hi to you all i am knew and this is my first post....

around january i will change my tibook 400, i will spend a lot of money so i wish something really stunning.

i mean

- faster graphic card (64 meg ddr)
- faster processor(s) (~1gig)
- faster bus
- superdrive (even if i won't use it!! but it would be nice)
- ddr ram

am i dreaming?:confused:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Unless the pb form factor changes back to pismo like days, no superdrive this year.

:eek: :eek: :eek: can you imagine if Apple did go back to the size and chunkyness of the Pismo...... nightmare..... it'd be like all the PowerMacs going back to beige..... :eek:

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by iGAV

:eek: :eek: :eek: can you imagine if Apple did go back to the size and chunkyness of the Pismo...... nightmare..... it'd be like all the PowerMacs going back to beige..... :eek:

I hear that... If they change the PowerBook, change it to something new, but equally as stunning as the TiBook...which, regardless of popular belief, is STILL the best designed laptop with the iBook a close second.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
they should release a slot loading superdrive conciderng they go from $4000+ CDN n thats a little TOO much for a laptop that doesnt have a dvd-r drive

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by ugru
around january i will change my tibook 400, i will spend a lot of money so i wish something really stunning.

- faster graphic card (64 meg ddr)
- faster processor(s) (~1gig)
- faster bus
- superdrive (even if i won't use it!! but it would be nice)
- ddr ram

am i dreaming?:confused:

some of them should be there. i mean, the ghz processor is an ideal next upgrade. but who knows if they'll just go up to 933.... ddr... i'm not sure how it works in laptops... ie, if it's that much different than desktop ddr such that the fact that the pmacs and xserves are using ddr is not enough.... however, looking at the trend, i wouldn't be surprised if it were to use ddr in the next pbook update.

faster bus is fairly likely i think.... fairly. same with graphics card

superdrive though. doubtful..... though, it's possible. assuming the drive itself is being kept secret so far.....

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by JSRockit

I hear that... If they change the PowerBook, change it to something new, but equally as stunning as the TiBook...which, regardless of popular belief, is STILL the best designed laptop with the iBook a close second.

the TiBook still amazes even not that far short of it's second birthday......

Personally judging by Apples willingness to move forward, I suspect they'll wait until the technology becomes small enough instead of making the TiBook larger....

I used to have a company Pismo, and I really don't miss it all.... even though it was handy to have a built in Zip, or 2 batteries.......... I've found that my use of my technology has moved on........ I don't use Zips anymore...... and the TiBooks battery/sleep change function is so cool, that not having the extra bay really isn't a problem.......

The only real advantage the Pismo has over the TiBook is that it's doesn't look so knackered if you treat it badly....... and it's stronger...... but that's cos it's built like a Tonka truck...... and feels like it when you pick it up too...... :p

I can't wait to see what Apple has up the sleeve for it's next generation TiBook..... it's certainly due a design overhaul.... look at how many incarnations the PowerBook G3 had in its time.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.