PDA

View Full Version : Why's everyone leaving MR?

mmmdreg
Sep 8, 2002, 07:32 AM
We got too many people leaving...hands up who else is going to follow.

jelloshotsrule
Sep 8, 2002, 10:38 AM
yeah, seems like the cool thing to do... we know it's over when eye leaves... which i don't think he'll do. even if he gets a bit less on air time, he'll be here til the end...

vniow
Sep 8, 2002, 01:19 PM
Well, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon (like anybody cares), I still have too much energy!

Mr. Anderson
Sep 9, 2002, 08:26 AM
not everyone is leaving and its only been an issue becuase people are making a big deal about it - that and the goodbye threads.

relax

eyelikeart
Sep 9, 2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by edvniow
Well, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon (like anybody cares), I still have too much energy!

oh man...that image is super creepy!!! :eek: :D

and u guys thought my kewpie dollhead avatar was bad! :rolleyes: ;)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 9, 2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by edvniow

but you've only been here for a couple months - lets see how you're doing in a year....

arn
Sep 9, 2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
We got too many people leaving...hands up who else is going to follow.

People leave forums all the time.... and new people join.

It's just that usually people don't actually post about it. :)

arn

SilvorX
Sep 9, 2002, 09:30 AM
just when the posters with high post counts ppl get sad when they leave for good or whatever, but if the posters had only like 1 post then they wouldnt really care since they never knew who they were...and as arn said, theres always new members joining up n such

i wont be leaving any time soon :p

Backtothemac
Sep 9, 2002, 01:20 PM
In the imortal words of Eric Cartman.

Screw you guys I'm outta here!

just kidding.

Macmaniac
Sep 9, 2002, 07:11 PM
Well considering we have 10000 registered members alot of em leave but its when one the over 500s leave it is felt, and of course announcing your departure always adds to the "OH MY GOD THEY ARE ALL LEAVING feeling"

As long as eye is here things will feel normal.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 9, 2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
As long as eye is here things will feel normal.

The feeling of the boards has changed even for me in the not quite so short period I've been here.

Although Macmaniac, you joined at about the same time as eye - so it would feel much more different for you.

What about all the other members you've seen leave?

D

Macmaniac
Sep 9, 2002, 08:23 PM
Well things felt very different when Gocyrus disappeared! Flaming was down %50!! I have felt a change in the way things have been going on around here, I think the forums are more fact then crazed speculation and also people are Alittle more realistic in their predictions. Also flame wars are more controlled(Thanks to Arn) I am happy with the change though it has been for the betterment of Macrumors. I can't wait to see the next stages we go thorugh!

rainman::|:|
Sep 22, 2002, 08:33 PM
well personally, i come and go on macrumors, i can easily go several weeks without even visiting the site... usually i take a sabbatical when i'm really busy with other stuff, or i've gotten stoned/drunk and posted something incredibly stupid and felt embarassed about it... which is quite often ;)

but i can't imagine ever leaving and not coming back...

:)
pnw

Hemingray
Oct 10, 2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Well things felt very different when Gocyrus disappeared! Flaming was down %50!!

Man, and when he disappeared, he DISAPPEARED.

http://www.mp3.com/goCyrus/ -- DEAD
http://www.geocities.com/cyrussullivan/ -- EMPTY

I'm guessing either he either got a life outside the internet or he's gone into hiding and is plotting to hunt down every MacRumors member who gave him duff. :rolleyes: :p

As for being "old skool", I'm not even going to pretend like I belong here (yet. :D )

Spock
Oct 29, 2002, 07:20 PM
I think the only two I really miss is Alpha_Tech & Ens.Paris

big
Nov 4, 2002, 11:12 PM
oh- am I old skool enough to post here? I guess I should read the other board...

I'll say I love MR, just school & work and kids, I think winter/Fall is a bus time for everyone.
my other board is always slooooow certain times of the year (nailhead.org)
I feel like I have no idea what's happening in the last 1.5 months

I miss Alpha_Tech & Ens.Paris too, what happened there?

Sun Baked
Nov 4, 2002, 11:26 PM
After all this time, I think it's time to post this for those just finding out about this problem...

arn
Nov 4, 2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by big
oh- am I old skool enough to post here? I guess I should read the other board...

I'll say I love MR, just school & work and kids, I think winter/Fall is a bus time for everyone.
my other board is always slooooow certain times of the year (nailhead.org)
I feel like I have no idea what's happening in the last 1.5 months

I miss Alpha_Tech & Ens.Paris too, what happened there?

AlphaTech: http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73
EnsignParis: got a job and is under NDA.... plus he's busier.

arn

Sun Baked
Nov 4, 2002, 11:43 PM
It has also been rather quiet the last few weeks.

job
Nov 5, 2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
It has also been rather quiet the last few weeks.

Well apart from the Powerbook/iBook/Bluetooth rumors, there has not been a lot going on in the world of Apple..

Mr. Anderson
Nov 5, 2002, 06:48 PM
As an obvious sign that things are slow, people are digging up old threads to find something to talk about......blah!

Hopefully something will happen tomorrow with the ibook/tibp/OSX

GoldenFury
Nov 12, 2002, 02:43 AM
/.

GoldenFury
Nov 12, 2002, 02:50 AM
i guess vets should be people who have been at Macrumors for more then a year. i know i havent so im no vet, and a lot of people here arent, very few are and thats what being a vet is all about, being an elite few who are seperated from the rest because of their experience.

i guess people leave because of all the irrelevant posts...

diorio
Nov 13, 2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by GoldenFury
i guess vets should be people who have been at Macrumors for more then a year. i know i havent so im no vet, and a lot of people here arent, very few are and thats what being a vet is all about, being an elite few who are seperated from the rest because of their experience.

i guess people leave because of all the irrelevant posts...

Huh?

jefhatfield
Nov 29, 2002, 12:50 AM
i always run out of good things to say but i keep on plugging away here since someone in the 10,000 will respond to what i have to say and maybe enjoy it

for those of you who remember, john123 is back, or at least he made another appearance

i can't ever see dukestreet, mischief, macmaniac, eyelikeart, edviniow, or many others ever leaving anytime soon:p

Backtothemac
Nov 29, 2002, 08:24 AM
I have not been around as much lately because of work, and family obligations. Also, I became a little tired of the political discussions in the community forum. Now that I have taked a break, I am ready for it again. ;)

Gus
Dec 3, 2002, 08:02 PM
I will have been registered a year in 3 weeks, but I know I only have about 270 posts. I try not to post anything unless I have knowledge or a strong opinion on something, however, I read many more than I respond to and so I seem in the background. I bet there are a lot of "vets" that are the same way.

Gus

job
Dec 3, 2002, 08:06 PM
Heh, I'll have been here for a year next month too.

Kewl.

I might not post for a while, but I don't think I'll leave MR anytime soon.

LimeiBook86
Dec 6, 2002, 11:57 AM
I don't knwo why people leave... But I guess its because of teh newbies. Hey people learn by asking questions, that's how I know a lot. Come on, don't leave just put up with it. I do, I find it nice to help people, plus it ads to how my posts you have :D

mmmdreg
Dec 7, 2002, 05:48 AM
I haven't been as here as i used to be and it does indeed seem to be the newbies...it's just that some of them are annoying in that they post too many useless posts and repeat themselves and others etc. i dont so much mind the asking of any questions as im willing to help always...

LimeiBook86
Dec 7, 2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
not everyone is leaving and its only been an issue becuase people are making a big deal about it - that and the goodbye threads.

relax

I made one of those goodbye threads for alpha tech, hah I would have to agree with you dukestreet though... :D

sparkleytone
Dec 7, 2002, 10:54 AM
i believe MR got a big surge of membership just before and in the months following MWSF2002. That was just a crazy time on the boards, and everyone was going nuts posting 24 hours a day. Its definitely quieted down since then, but the problem I have is the amount of crap that gets posted. As I said in another forum, it really doesn't speak highly of the membership of a forum when people are in such a hurry to post new threads, they fail to do simple things like check the spelling of the thread title. Some words in the titles are obscenely misspelled. I'm not a spelling/grammar/etc nazi, but some things can really symbolize the overall maturity and intelligence of an online community.

I've been here a little over a year, yet I don't consider myself 'old skool' per se.