PDA

View Full Version : Removing Apple Logo from back of LCD

boonlar
Feb 15, 2011, 09:22 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the apple logo on the back of the LCD is ugly?

I want to remove it or fill it in. The laptop would look so much better if it was just solid aluminum on the back.

Is it possible someone makes lcd back covers without the apple logo cut out or should I try to fill it in with something?

neko girl
Feb 15, 2011, 09:23 PM
You could always get a cover from etsy.com or Gelaskins that you like. A few of them on etsy and all of them on Gelaskin can cover the logo up if you'd like.

Psilocybin
Feb 15, 2011, 09:26 PM
The apple symbol is such a beautiful thing. I personally think your crazy

upaymeifixit
Feb 15, 2011, 09:27 PM
Or you could try to mod it and change the color. I think it looks good, but that's just my opinion.

Apple OC
this should do the job :cool:

boonlar

Are you kidding? It stands out too much and it would look amazing if it was just pure flat silver.

Kinda like the google CR-48 with no logos on it. That is a sexy netbook.

topmounter
Feb 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
Don't erase it, embrace it!

http://www.liquidgoldbaby.com/assets/images/Study_gallery_de265ab520530deba63d71fef8892483.jpg

www.stuckoff.com

upaymeifixit
Feb 15, 2011, 09:39 PM

SNIP http://www.liquidgoldbaby.com/assets/images/Study_gallery_de265ab520530deba63d71fef8892483.jpg SNIP

www.stuckoff.com

That is awesome. I'm going to look into getting one of those.

boonlar
Feb 15, 2011, 09:42 PM

http://www.liquidgoldbaby.com/assets/images/Study_gallery_de265ab520530deba63d71fef8892483.jpg

www.stuckoff.com

Well I use my MBA 13 as a windows machine only so that's another reason I don't want the logo. I guess I'll try to find a place that can machine the aluminum for me. Wonder what that will cost lol..

Apple OC
Feb 15, 2011, 09:44 PM
Well I use my MBA 13 as a windows machine only so that's another reason I don't want the logo. I guess I'll try to find a place that can machine the aluminum for me. Wonder what that will cost lol..

whatever the cost is ... why waste money on something so trivial?

Penooker
Feb 15, 2011, 09:54 PM

Another person like me! Let me know if you find a way to underclock / undervolt in Windows 7. It's driving me nuts, because I'm hoping doing so would increase battery life.

boonlar
Feb 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
Another person like me! Let me know if you find a way to underclock / undervolt in Windows 7. It's driving me nuts, because I'm hoping doing so would increase battery life.

How much battery life are you getting under win7?

11 or 13"?

iRun26.2
Feb 15, 2011, 10:01 PM

Put me in the 'fanboy' category then too. I love it and I consider it very stylish. I would be greatly disappointed if they took it away.

I wish the iPhone apple on the back glowed too.

(But I must admit, I find most of the skins that at extra art hideous...would someone truly put 'the joker' ones on your MBA? Too each his own, I guess...)

Tailpike1153
Feb 15, 2011, 10:03 PM
There are colored epoxies. Master Bond automotive epoxy would work.

Psilocybin
Feb 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
You guys bought MacBooks to use just for windows?

boonlar
Feb 15, 2011, 10:10 PM

Yep. I personally hate OSX but the macbook air is the only ultra portable with decent build quality and discrete graphics.

Also the price is decent on them for being ultraportables.

richard.mac
Feb 15, 2011, 10:11 PM

so you bought the MacBook for its design and not for the OS as well and now you want to hide one of the very things that makes the MacBook a Mac! crazy talk! :eek: :D

upaymeifixit
Feb 15, 2011, 10:13 PM
so you bought the MacBook for its design and not for the OS as well and now you want to hide one of the very things that makes the MacBook a Mac! crazy talk! :eek: :D

Exactly what I was thinking.

boonlar
Feb 15, 2011, 10:17 PM

There really aren't many other PC alternatives in the same form factor. IBM has the X301 but has integrated graphics only and costs the same as the air so it's a waste.

Look around and you won't see any other thin PC's with discrete graphics like the 320M

neko girl
Feb 15, 2011, 10:19 PM
Yep. I personally hate OSX but the macbook air is the only ultra portable with decent build quality and discrete graphics.

Bizarre choice, but I suppose.. welcome to Mac?

DarwinOSX
Feb 15, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yes, you are the only one.

I want to remove it or fill it in. The laptop would look so much better if it was just solid aluminum on the back.

Is it possible someone makes lcd back covers without the apple logo cut out or should I try to fill it in with something?

Funkymonk
Feb 15, 2011, 11:47 PM
I'd rather change it to a pineapple. I like pineapples better :mad:

notjustjay
Feb 16, 2011, 12:00 AM
You could do like every TV show and put a nice white round sticker over it. Very subtle. :p

mickbab
Feb 16, 2011, 12:05 AM
A little off topic but does anyone else think it would be really cool to just have a glowing outline of the Apple logo on the back, instead of it being filled in as it is currently?

upaymeifixit
Feb 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
A little off topic but does anyone else think it would be really cool to just have a glowing outline of the Apple logo on the back, instead of it being filled in as it is currently?

Yeah, so long as it still glowed. It would cost too much to have someone do though.

robeddie
Feb 16, 2011, 12:37 AM
There really aren't many other PC alternatives in the same form factor. IBM has the X301 but has integrated graphics only and costs the same as the air so it's a waste.

Look around and you won't see any other thin PC's with discrete graphics like the 320M

Since no one else has, I'll be the one (I guess) to point out that the 320m is NOT, in fact a 'discrete' chip.

It indeed is integrated. A very good integrated video card ... but integrated none the less.

Jayomat
Feb 16, 2011, 12:39 AM
Since no one else has, I'll be the one (I guess) to point out that the 320m is NOT, in fact a 'discrete' chip.

It indeed is integrated. A very good integrated video card ... but integrated none the less.

I was just going to say it. beat me to it..;)

VictoriaStudent
Feb 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
I also very much dislike the Apple logo.

I think logos of any sort are extremely trashy and tasteless. Very, very low brow..low class..what have you.

A logo, to me, is typical of what I find detestable about modern civilization..such much potential for fresh, lovely, creative art and inspired beautify..

instead, we get logos...on clothing...on cars...on everything.

What's wrong with a shirt just looking like a shirt? Does it really need a .5"x.5" logo on it? Your sunglasses? Your shoes? etc. If a company is going to put their logo on a shirt, they should Pay people to wear that shirt for the advertising they are getting out of their logo being trotted around for all the world to see.

If I could ditch the apple, I would do so in a heartbeat.

edit: I do not purchase clothing or products (except for my MBP) that have logos on them that can not be removed or obscured. For instance, my goorin brothers hat...I black out the logo with a sharpie..my monitor, black electrical tape over the logo.

Psilocybin
Feb 16, 2011, 01:34 AM

I think logos of any sort are extremely trashy and tasteless. Very, very low brow..low class..what have you.

A logo, to me, is typical of what I find detestable about modern civilization..such much potential for fresh, lovely, creative art and inspired beautify..

What's wrong with a shirt just looking like a shirt? Does it really need a .5"x.5" logo on it? Your sunglasses? Your shoes? etc. If a company is going to put their logo on a shirt, they should Pay people to wear that shirt for the advertising they are getting out of their logo being trotted around for all the world to see.

edit: I do not purchase clothing or products (except for my MBP) that have logos on them that can not be removed or obscured. For instance, my goorin brothers hat...I black out the logo with a sharpie..my monitor, black electrical tape over the logo.

:confused: I think that's called OCD

kx22
Feb 16, 2011, 03:10 AM

The deal about logo's and brands is that we live in a world full of classes. The one with more money wants to stand out more then the other. So you buy expensive clothes with brandtags on it.

But plain guys like you, are nobody markettarget.

sammich
Feb 16, 2011, 03:17 AM

As an alternative, you could scan in the Apple logo, trim off about 0.1" around it print it in unibody silver cut it out and stick it over the centre of the apple and the leaf.

Hope that makes sense, only just thought of it.

radu.grozescu
Feb 16, 2011, 03:57 AM

I understand that the wi-fi antenna is there, so covering it in metal would have an interesting effect on the Airport use, especially if used in clamshell mode :-)

Parkin Pig
Feb 16, 2011, 05:05 AM

Here's a couple of stickers to cover that unsightly design icon - now pop along and see if you can find a WindowsRumors Forum

mmulin
Feb 16, 2011, 05:37 AM

I hope it was a typo but the MBA certainly doesn't have discrete GPU. Only the MBP 15" & 17" have this. MBA got an on board GPU.

GekkePrutser
Feb 16, 2011, 06:40 AM
I understand that the wi-fi antenna is there, so covering it in metal would have an interesting effect on the Airport use, especially if used in clamshell mode :-)

No that's where it is on the iPad, it's behind the black apple logo there.

It's not on the MacBooks (all of them so including MBP and MBA). Otherwise you would see it sitting there through the glowing apple.

The MacBooks have it behind the black plastic cover at the back, between the screen hinges.

pcshrink
Feb 16, 2011, 06:55 AM
this should do the job :cool:nice...luv it!

pcshrink
Feb 16, 2011, 06:57 AM
why did you even buy an Apple then? The Apple logo is an ICON!:D

pcshrink
Feb 16, 2011, 07:04 AM

Is there such thing as "logophobia"?

pcshrink
Feb 16, 2011, 07:05 AM
Here's a couple of stickers to cover that unsightly design icon - now pop along and see if you can find a WindowsRumors Forum

Luv it! Parkin Pig!!

MacRumorUser
Feb 16, 2011, 07:08 AM
If you buy a Moshi Palm Guard for your Air it will come with protective palm cover and a trackpad cover.

You don't actually need the trackpad cover, so you could use this to conceal your apple logo. As it's the same texture and color of the macbook air's casing you will hide the apple discretely & tastefully without destroying the overall aesthetic, and it will be easy to remove after should you ever want to.

maflynn
Feb 16, 2011, 07:14 AM

Well that's your choice but your logic as to why you hate it, makes little sense. You failed to back up why its trashy and low class. Apple designed products are at the pinnacle of designs.

To me taking a sharpie to a logo on a hat screams trashy. Doesn't google have a laptop now that has no logos, that might be a good fit for your personal desire to avoid logos.

by the way, when a company designs and makes a product, its not unrealistic or uncalled for for them to put identifying logos on it to show they made it. How else will people know its an apple laptop if there were no apple logos. They do that to help market their products.

St. G
Feb 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
The MBA is a great Windows machine. It's a great bit of design and a sturdy little performer. I prefer OSX for browsing (when the wifi drivers agree to work...) because of three-finger swiping, but Win 7 is better at everything else I do.

As for covering up the logo...meh. If I were that concerned with NOT displaying the Apple logo, I'd be every bit as bad as the people who go out of their way TO display it. Brand snobbery goes both ways.

jamesta1
Feb 16, 2011, 07:42 AM
You can send it to ColorWare.

Custom MacBook Air (http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-250-macbook-air.aspx)

notjustjay
Feb 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
Now I want that Magritte sticker for the back of my MacBook Pro. Only problem is I'm afraid everyone else in the room won't be able to keep a straight face during meetings :eek:

chrono1081
Feb 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
You can send it to ColorWare.

Custom MacBook Air (http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-250-macbook-air.aspx)

+1 even though Colorware tends to make things look awful and cheap.

Honestly OP think long and hard before you do this. Unless you get a complete aluminum shell to replace whats on there its going to look like crap.

dXTC
Feb 16, 2011, 12:59 PM

Why, yes, that would be nifty. Perhaps Apple could have it gently glowing through micro-holes in the metal, like the power/sleep LED on the edge of the MacBook Pro.

thuchu1
Feb 16, 2011, 05:01 PM
:confused: I think that's called ocd

+42

smug
Feb 16, 2011, 05:34 PM

You're doing it wrong. Turn it around so the keyboard & trackpad is facing you.

Psilocybin
Feb 16, 2011, 05:54 PM
you're doing it wrong. Turn it around so the keyboard & trackpad is facing you.

:d

jlyanks85
Feb 16, 2011, 06:20 PM
You bought a apple computer to specifically use windows on? Uhh ok.......

Doesn't matter to me if you like windows or OSX better, but pretty dumb if you bought a macbook for windows, when you can buy windows laptop for a much cheaper price.

Also wanting to hide the apple logo? That's like telling the dallas cowboys to take the star off their helmet.

chaoticbear
Feb 16, 2011, 07:28 PM
Actually, I think I've solved the problem. I haven't written up an article yet, but I'm working on a DIY guide to solve this.

ShiftClick
Feb 16, 2011, 07:50 PM
delete me

MacRumorUser
Feb 16, 2011, 11:42 PM

Doesn't matter to me if you like windows or OSX better, but pretty dumb if you bought a macbook for windows, when you can buy windows laptop for a much cheaper price.

Also wanting to hide the apple logo? That's like telling the dallas cowboys to take the star off their helmet.

And.....

He wanted the best ultraportable with a decent gpu not an intel gpu solution as most PC makers utilise.

Don't see what the big deal is.

1. It's his money
2. Its his choice
3. You don't pay his bills
4. Some people need to get over themselves

boonlar
Feb 17, 2011, 12:30 AM
Actually, I think I've solved the problem. I haven't written up an article yet, but I'm working on a DIY guide to solve this.

nice mockup there. That's exactly how I want it to look.

AppleScruff1
Feb 17, 2011, 01:19 AM

He probably likes the the quality, style, form factor, display and graphics of the Air.

Hotherps
Feb 17, 2011, 02:56 AM

OMG, that looks so bland and boring :eek:

I love the apple logo.... it shows that I'm not using "Windows" :D

deedas
Feb 17, 2011, 03:38 AM
It's not ugly. You're def. in the minority there bud.

The only thing wrong with it is that it's been upside down for the past 10 years or so.

torbjoern
Feb 17, 2011, 04:18 AM
The only thing wrong with it is that it's been upside down for the past 10 years or so.

LOL - I must remember that one!!! :D

Xeperu
Feb 17, 2011, 05:39 AM
OMG, that looks so bland and boring :eek:

I love the apple logo.... it shows that I'm not using "Windows" :D

I'd pay extra for the Air with the Windows logo cut out just to show that I'm using a real operating system.

mabaker
Feb 17, 2011, 05:42 AM
Some ppl have too much money on their hands. :rolleyes:

torbjoern
Feb 17, 2011, 05:49 AM
I'd pay extra for the Air with the Windows logo cut out just to show that I'm using a real operating system.

OK... so what makes Windows more "real" as an OS than Unix/BSD? Is it the more real gaming experience (making PS3 more real than Windows), or is it process management, paging and interrupt-handling which is better (more real) on Windows? Just curious.

MacRumorUser
Feb 17, 2011, 06:42 AM
OK... so what makes Windows more "real" as an OS than Unix/BSD? Is it the more real gaming experience (making PS3 more real than Windows), or is it process management, paging and interrupt-handling which is better (more real) on Windows? Just curious.

I feel your curiosity will lead to a lot of fanboy rants ;)

I guess it's just a case of different strokes for different folks. Things like this are subjective.

But blanket statements about 'real' operating system is simply just very juvenile of XEPERU. If XEPERU you wish your opinion to be taken seriously and considered, phrasing a statement in such an obviously silly 'flame bait' way is not the way to do it, and far removed from an intellectual discussion.

All very immature, i'm sure you'd agree.

SDub90
Feb 17, 2011, 06:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You could do like every TV show and put a nice white round sticker over it. Very subtle. :p

I was always a fan of the duct tape X

OP: you're not the only one. I don't like the apple logo there, but having something there looks better than nothing.

mawool01
Feb 17, 2011, 08:11 AM
Are you kidding? It stands out too much and it would look amazing if it was just pure flat silver.

Kinda like the google CR-48 with no logos on it. That is a sexy netbook.

Then get a CR-48 and dont buy a Mac. I personally like the apple logo...

iRun26.2
Feb 17, 2011, 08:36 AM

I love the glowing Apple logo, and, I'd be willing to pay an extra $50 to have it if it wasn't a standard feature.

farmermac
Feb 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
My brother in law works at a financial security outfit. They bought a bunch of ultimate 13's and deleted all the Mac stuff off right away and just installed win7 ultimate. Good machine for portable presentations.

torbjoern
Feb 17, 2011, 08:49 AM
I love the glowing Apple logo, and, I'd be willing to pay an extra $50 to have it if it wasn't a standard feature.

Why? You cannot see it anyway while you're using the Mac.

iRun26.2
Feb 17, 2011, 10:10 AM
Why? You cannot see it anyway while you're using the Mac.

I like how it looks and it is also a part of what people see when people when they look at me. It is like clothing: You don't buy nice looking clothes (or designer labels) so you can see them. It is about how you look to people that see you in them.

Vanity?...Yes!!! (I am honest)

(But I also do leave my office and come back and see the glowing Apple label...I like to see it too).

gdeputy
Feb 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
being a PC enthusiast for years (overclocking, tweaking everything, hand selecting all components) and a windows user all those years as well, it's easy for me to say for MOST things, I'm finding OSX to be much more enjoyable.

I do miss SOME of the features of windows based operating system, but it's not nearly as refined as OSX in my honest opinion. I do still boot into Windows 7 almost daily, but it's usually to play a game, it's no secret Windows is far ahead in that department, but as far as actual operating system functionality in practical use, OSX wins by a mile.

Your entitled to your opinion, however if I was building a machine for presentations, I certainly wouldn't spend 1300+ on a MBA if I had no intention of using OSX. To each their own though!

St. G
Feb 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
For douches, the Apple logo is like a badge of honor. Unfortunately, no matter who who are, if you're rocking an Apple product in public, you're wearing a Douche Badge of Honor. Sometimes, though, a product is so good it's worth that sacrifice. IMO, the Macbook Air is one such product.

Well, the little one anyway.

gdeputy
Feb 17, 2011, 12:43 PM
For douches, the Apple logo is like a badge of honor. Unfortunately, no matter who who are, if you're rocking an Apple product in public, you're wearing a Douche Badge of Honor. Sometimes, though, a product is so good it's worth that sacrifice. IMO, the Macbook Air is one such product.

Well, the little one anyway.

What are you called if you using a dell then with the dell badge? What would that be called lol?

There are far too many apple laptops out there for it to be considered 'trendy' at this point. Most universities have more apple laptops than PC.

Alfieg
Feb 17, 2011, 01:10 PM
My opinion is that the apple logo should be there but it should have been scaled down much more for the 11" Air.

nateo200
Feb 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
Why would you not want to let that glowing apple protrude you awesome computer? Its like the same stupid thinking of people de-badging BMW's...Yeah brb let me cover up the logos of all my expensive toys.:rolleyes:

singe
Feb 17, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hirokazu Kuwata's Customized Powerbook G4 Titanium - 2002

http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/mac_hw_japanibook_f.jpg

MacRumorUser
Feb 17, 2011, 03:33 PM
OP check out

Http://www.gelaskins.com

iRun26.2
Feb 17, 2011, 03:50 PM
My opinion is that the apple logo should be there but it should have been scaled down much more for the 11" Air.

I never thought about the fact that Apple is bigger on the 11.6" (proportionally) than on other Mac notebooks. Awesome! Yet another reason to get the 11.6" MBA...my favorite computer that I have ever owned (and I've owned quite a few in my life time).

(oops. Double-post... Please remove).

iRun26.2
Feb 17, 2011, 03:52 PM

I never thought about the fact that Apple is bigger on the 11.6" (proportionally) than on other Mac notebooks.... Awesome! Yet another reason to get the 11.6" MBA...my favorite computer ever.

Hotherps
Feb 17, 2011, 04:10 PM
I had been a windows user since the early 90's . I bought a top spec Dell XPS laptop in 2008, nice machine but it did have occasional problems.... crashing, viruses etc. I don't consider the build quality to be that good either. I have another Dell desktop machine in my office at work...

Last year a bought a 13" MacBook Pro.... WOW, I love this machine, I've taken it around India and the USA, absolutely brilliant! Well built, reliable, easy to use, no problems with viruses or crashing, it just works!

Unlike boring windows systems, I actually like learning about all things Mac... I download various podcasts (Maccast for example). I just seem to find the Mac system easier and more logical than windows. I like the large trackpad, lilluminated keyboard, 2,3,4 finger swipe gestures, expose, the dock..... there is so much to like about a Mac :D

jlyanks85
Feb 17, 2011, 06:06 PM
And.....

He wanted the best ultraportable with a decent gpu not an intel gpu solution as most PC makers utilise.

Don't see what the big deal is.

1. It's his money
2. Its his choice
3. You don't pay his bills
4. Some people need to get over themselves

Doesn't matter to me what anybody buys with their money. It's their decision and I respect that. It just seems odd to me to buy a apple computer and not even use their operating system.

The only windows related thing I use on my imac is MS Office since I'm so used to using word and powerpoint. Just my opinion though, I don't want to start fights with anybody here.:)

MacRumorUser
Feb 17, 2011, 06:20 PM
Doesn't matter to me what anybody buys with their money. It's their decision and I respect that. It just seems odd to me to buy a apple computer and not even use their operating system.

The only windows related thing I use on my imac is MS Office since I'm so used to using word and powerpoint. Just my opinion though, I don't want to start fights with anybody here.:)

My response wasn't totally aimed at you. It just surprises me sometimes how judgmental some posters can be simply because a poster has different opinion than their own, especially when it verges on just silly & juvenile ignorance.

Whilst I have no desire to run Windows 7 on my mba, or cover up the apple symbol, it does not make the op wrong. Its just there choice and the shrill of posters who posted their dissaprovement and judgmental wrath rather than actually responding with advice that the op could find useful was just typically appalling and indicative of how brand loyalty and ignorance often go hand in hand.

thejadedmonkey
Feb 17, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'd run Windows on my Macbook Pro, if I could. It's a much better (IMO) Operating system.

And to be clear, I did cover up my Apple logo... with a rainbow apple logo :)

Similar to this person (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2215/2285933696_4f9e3ab647.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mki/2285933696/&usg=__MQgRQJox_0eClD69f1QS9IFoSJo=&h=373&w=500&sz=103&hl=en&start=0&sig2=gCndC24fGRSGhhVbn2hd_w&zoom=1&tbnid=z_633dX_YKbMeM:&tbnh=136&tbnw=193&ei=oLtdTY3cIsH68AaX1JjaCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drainbow%2Bapple%2Blogo%2Bfor%2Bmacbook%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26 rls%3Den%26biw%3D1110%26bih%3D707%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=135&vpy=227&dur=3579&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=168&ty=82&oei=oLtdTY3cIsH68AaX1JjaCw&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0)

miabadboys
Feb 18, 2011, 12:48 PM
I cant see what the fuss is about, laptop manufactors like HP, Dell and others making their logo light up on the lid.....copying Apple. Unfortuantly they are all late way behind the game :)

notjustjay
Feb 18, 2011, 12:59 PM

If you think about it, what differentiates a Mac from a PC, once you take away the operating system?

Very little on the inside. They use exactly the same chipsets, video cards, processors, ports, RAM, hard drives...

The remaining differences are all in the aesthetics and build quality: aluminum versus plastic, the feel of the keyboard or trackpad, the large batteries, the screen, the styling.

And if you like those things, then why not buy them for a Windows machine?

Sure it costs more to buy a Mac and then use Windows (because you're paying for OS X, throwing it away, and then paying for Windows on top of that) but if you like every other aspect of the machine, I don't see why not.

Funkymonk
Feb 18, 2011, 01:06 PM
Apple has the best hardware on the game. End of story, no discussion.

Software on the other hand is subjective for different people and what they're comfortable with. I personally think Ubuntu is better than osx and windows. Some of you guys need to chill the hell out.

Penooker
Feb 18, 2011, 06:12 PM
Man, what is wrong with the posters on this forum? It's disgusting how fanatical some people are -- "OMG, how can you get rid of the logo of the company that is at the pinnacle of design?" "OMG, Mac OS X is so much better, why would you buy a Mac and not use it?"

As someone who bought a MBA, my first Mac ever, and use it to run Windows 7 -- here's my reasons:

1) For the price, the new MBA is deal. Find another 13" ultraportable that has a good GPU, decent display, a fast SSD, 7 hours of battery life for the same price or lower. I couldn't care less if it was made by Apple or Sony or Toshiba or Dell or Lenovo or HP -- all brands that I've owned at one time or another. Sure add in $100 for Windows 7.

2) Even if you find one that comes close in pricing, Macs have great resell value. People seem to trust second hand Macs more than another brand. I plan to sell this laptop within a year, and I expect to loose < 30% with this MBA, whereas most Windows laptops loose ~ 50% of their value in a year. One of the benefits of Apple's strict pricing discipline.

3) Mac OS X has proven to be inefficient for my usage. You can't even copy the path from an Finder window. No taskbar to see all my open windows. No easy way to tile windows side-by-side. If you get things done faster in Mac OS, then good for you. The Mac users I know, like most Windows users, don't bother or care about any of these features.

jsalzer
Feb 18, 2011, 08:09 PM

And, after all these years, it still feels wrong, doesn't it? I still want to spin it around to open it from the other side.

iRun26.2
Feb 18, 2011, 09:24 PM
Man, what is wrong with the posters on this forum? It's disgusting how fanatical some people are -- "OMG, how can you get rid of the logo of the company that is at the pinnacle of design?" "OMG, Mac OS X is so much better, why would you buy a Mac and not use it?"

As someone who bought a MBA, my first Mac ever, and use it to run Windows 7 -- here's my reasons:

1) For the price, the new MBA is deal. Find another 13" ultraportable that has a good GPU, decent display, a fast SSD, 7 hours of battery life for the same price or lower. I couldn't care less if it was made by Apple or Sony or Toshiba or Dell or Lenovo or HP -- all brands that I've owned at one time or another. Sure add in $100 for Windows 7.

2) Even if you find one that comes close in pricing, Macs have great resell value. People seem to trust second hand Macs more than another brand. I plan to sell this laptop within a year, and I expect to loose < 30% with this MBA, whereas most Windows laptops loose ~ 50% of their value in a year. One of the benefits of Apple's strict pricing discipline.

3) Mac OS X has proven to be inefficient for my usage. You can't even copy the path from an Finder window. No taskbar to see all my open windows. No easy way to tile windows side-by-side. If you get things done faster in Mac OS, then good for you. The Mac users I know, like most Windows users, don't bother or care about any of these features.

How did you get Windows 7 for only $100?! If I remember right, I think that I spent close to $300 for the version I bought since you can't do just an 'upgrade'.

topmounter
Feb 18, 2011, 10:30 PM
How did you get Windows 7 for only $100?! If I remember right, I think that I spent close to $300 for the version I bought since you can't do just an 'upgrade'.

"System Builders" License... awesome deal if you don't need support from Microsoft.

hfg
Feb 18, 2011, 11:48 PM

There are single computer "OEM System Builder" versions available from NewEgg which must be purchased as 32 or 64 bit versions and it is forever linked to the original computer installed ( ;) ).

If you have an older version of Windows XP or Vista, you are entitled to use the "upgrade" version of Windows 7 and you CAN do a clean install with the standard Upgrade package. A quick google will find several articles (Ziff Davis) with step-by-step instructions for doing so. There are probably instructions somewhere on these forums as well.

deedas
Feb 19, 2011, 03:41 AM
And, after all these years, it still feels wrong, doesn't it? I still want to spin it around to open it from the other side.

It's been so long, I barely remember. I partly blame that HBO show for the change, :rolleyes: LOL

Rahmenlos
Feb 27, 2011, 05:17 PM
It's been so long, I barely remember. I partly blame that HBO show for the change, :rolleyes: LOL

could you elaborate for the Mac users that switched to Mac OS X long time after they changed that (e.g. Intel switch)? I'm curious what HBO show made Apple to change anything. :D

MultiFinder17
Feb 27, 2011, 05:52 PM
could you elaborate for the Mac users that switched to Mac OS X long time after they changed that (e.g. Intel switch)? I'm curious what HBO show made Apple to change anything. :D

The PowerBook G3 was used for many years in Sex and the City by one of the main characters.

Here's a photo of my Pismo, showing what they're all talking about with the logo:

gossip5
Mar 6, 2011, 05:02 PM
Then don't buy anything with Apple logos in the back.

parkiebear
Mar 6, 2011, 08:55 PM

I saw a show the other night that had an oblong piece of paper taped loosely over the logo -- as if no one could discern the brand! Too slick...

ArmCortexA8
Mar 7, 2011, 08:19 AM
Funnily enough because of the Apple logo on the back of the MacBook Air, when sunlight is hitting the back of the screen and the screen is black you'll see this whitish apple logo glowing on the black background while the screen is inactive - design oversight?

Veinticinco
Mar 7, 2011, 09:03 AM

Go and buy a PC then maybe?

Quite possibly one of the most moronic and pointless threads and OPs I've ever read on MacRumors. And that's saying something.

Well done you.

abriwin
Mar 7, 2011, 09:53 AM
I am utterly amazed, folks buying a MBA to use a pure windblows machine. whatever next? Although when you think about it its no more crazy that trying to hackintosh an Acer Aspire One.

MacRumorUser
Mar 7, 2011, 11:17 AM
Go and buy a PC then maybe?

Quite possibly one of the most moronic and pointless threads and OPs I've ever read on MacRumors. And that's saying something.

Well done you.

He loves the hardware, not the software, so he bought a macbook air, installed windows and wants to mask the apple logo on the back.

Hell if it was so moronic, why do all the TV shows cover up the Apple symbol usually with a sticker of some sort. They don't want to show they are advertising Apple product / brand and neither does the OP.

Whether you would do that or not is irrelevant and he does not need to justify his decision to you or anyone else here.

He has asked if anyone can recommend a solution that would do it. He did not ask for a sermon from folks who are being ignorant.

Either proffer a solution that the OP has asked, or if you have nothing constructive to add then don't comment at all.

The level of arrogance on these forums is shocking.

ArcaneDevice
Mar 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
Hell if it was so moronic, why do all the TV shows cover up the Apple symbol usually with a sticker of some sort. They don't want to show they are advertising Apple product / brand and neither does the OP.

Well unless the OP is in danger of breaching contract or being sued for breaking product placement, promotion and permission guidelines the comparison is irrelevant.

It's not that a TV show doesn't want to advertise a product, more often it's because they do not have permission from the owner to use their product.

For example if a car featured in a movie explodes because it hit a streetlight at five miles an hour, any manufacturer would not want their brand featured.

Same applies if a terrorist in an action movie was using an Apple laptop to make a bomb with. Apple would not want their logo to be identifiable.

If a company has a product placement deal in effect then one of their stipulations would be to remove competitors logos from other props.

matelot
Mar 7, 2011, 02:28 PM
Well I use my MBA 13 as a windows machine only.....

this thread is getting even more bizarre

Patrick946
Mar 7, 2011, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't remove the Apple logo from a laptop, but I understand why someone would want to. People put stickers and cases on Apple stuff, this isn't that different.

I ended up putting the bumper case on my iPhone 4 full time after I broke the back panel and had it repaired, but if I didn't have to I would never use the case. Some people like the way cases look though.

Bigmacduck
Jun 16, 2012, 06:23 AM
I found a nice sticker shop that sells stickers which artfully conceal the Apple logo on the back of the screen. Everyone knows the logo, but the connaisseurs will recognize the notebook that you work with.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/macstixnet?page=1

http://www.macstix.net/

bogatyr
Jun 16, 2012, 07:40 AM

I didn't but between my MBA, iPad, iPhone, TBD and work MBA... there are too many freaking logos on my desk. Would be nice to not have so many Apple advertisements there - especially since no one else is allowed a Mac at work ;P

zerotiu
Jun 16, 2012, 09:38 AM
I think apple logo is better than any other logo. If ASUS was the best company, not Apple, probably you would say that you have enough of ASUS logo..and write it in ASUSrumors :D :D

come on.. It just doesn't make any sense. If you use windows, than you pride for using windows. If you use apple products than you proud of them..

I changed the color of my apple color from white to orange :p, that's because the white sticker inside suddenly felt off :(

million7
Jun 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
if you hate the apple logo so much, you're buying the wrong product ;)

justit
Jun 16, 2012, 11:57 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the apple logo on the back of the LCD is ugly? ... And a battery drain for no purpose but to help Cupertino. :cool:

snberk103
Jun 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
... And a battery drain for no purpose but to help Cupertino. :cool:

Au contraire, my friend. The logo is illuminated by the backlight for the screen, and not by any additional lighting. When the screen is on, the logo glows. So no extra battery drain at all.

------

What I find curious about this whole thread are the people who want to cover up a logo they never see. When you are using the computer, which is the only time the logo glows, you are on the other side and can't see it. I suspect they are just getting teased by their friends and instead of embracing their decision to buy Apple are "going with the flow". Too bad ... that's not how you learn to be a leader.

AQUADock
Jun 16, 2012, 12:19 PM

There isn't a separate backlight for the logo, it's just using the screens backlight, that's why when you dim the screen the logo also dims.

GGJstudios
Jun 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Au contraire, my friend. The logo is illuminated by the backlight for the screen, and not by any additional lighting. When the screen is on, the logo glows. So no extra battery drain at all.

------

What I find curious about this whole thread are the people who want to cover up a logo they never see. When you are using the computer, which is the only time the logo glows, you are on the other side and can't see it. I suspect they are just getting teased by their friends and instead of embracing their decision to buy Apple are "going with the flow". Too bad ... that's not how you learn to be a leader.
I completely agree! There's no reason to cover the logo (certainly not because of a fictitious battery drain) that I can think of, other than vanity issues. I never see the logo when I'm using my Mac, and I couldn't care less what others think if they see it. The logo is neither a cause for pride or shame, so why cover it? I can understand why some may choose to add an "artistic flair" to it, as some have posted, to personalize their Macs, but not to cover it up for the sake of covering it up.

kodeman53
Jun 16, 2012, 12:33 PM

I love it when the uninformed step in it. :rolleyes:

justit
Jun 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
I love it when the uninformed step in it. :rolleyes:
Oh? Apple isn't headquartered in Cupertino? :eek::p

----------

So no extra battery drain at all. Corrected. Thx :o

Orange Furball
Jun 16, 2012, 04:48 PM
Haven't read through the whole thing, so this may have been said or this may have been solved. But why not have someone with a cnc router mill you a new back, then treat it with whatever apple uses (acid wash? Brushed aluminum?)

Have them mill 4 holes for the 4 "flags" or whatever on the windows logo. Make a clear acrylic windows logo to fit into the holes. There. A WinBook Air.

Geekbabe
Jun 16, 2012, 05:56 PM

Image (http://www.liquidgoldbaby.com/assets/images/Study_gallery_de265ab520530deba63d71fef8892483.jpg)

www.stuckoff.com

Oh my God! That Snow White holding the apple is so sweet! Thank you for posting these!

TyroneShoes2
Jun 16, 2012, 06:15 PM

Also the price is decent on them for being ultraportables.OK, now I get it. You don't really think the logo is ugly as much as it runs absolutely counter to your political viewpoint and you are irked that every time you open your MBA at Starbucks that you are mistakenly representing yourself as a fanboy of the party you are in a religious war with.

I'm not saying that is such a bad thing; it isn't. You have a point. It sure makes everyone on the Apple bandwagon shake their heads, tho, me included. I think many of the Apple fanboys are probably snickering at the fact that while you are a staunch Windows convert, that you were forced to relent and admit how much more elegant and wonderful by comparison that your mortal enemy's hardware is.

But it's also important to remember that if there were no Mac OS, there would be no Windows for you to salivate over, and we would all still be using the command line.

But just to prove that we are not all snobs, we can put the disagreement behind us and concentrate on the problem.

If it were me in this situation I would just get a large Windows logo sticker and cover the Apple logo up, although every time they do this on TV (sometimes using Final Cut to accomplish that electronically, ironically enough) it looks even stupider than if they had left it alone (Apple does not need to be extorted by the production company calling and saying "pay us $1000 and we will not obliterate your logo on our little TV show").

You could also tear down the unit and put something opaque between the backlight and the translucent logo, but that's a lot of work and a lot of risk just to be politically consistent.

Regardless of the politics, since you put the question out there, is it really ugly?

I sort of lean to the "classy iconic logo" crowd who thinks it makes pretty much the right statement and is the face of the most valued company in the world and never should then be changed, but again, you may have a point. As iconic as it might be, the Apple logo has lots and lots of legacy baggage; only an amateur bush-league company would name itself after a common fruit, and the logo is a bit too "treehugger" and "in your face", 1st semester freshman art school derived, and even garish for 21st-century tastes.

No company today even rated 300 notches lower than Apple would use such a silly, naive name or such a amateurish logo, at least if they wanted to be taken seriously and/or raise venture capital, certainly not the top listed company in the world.

But if you read the Walter Isaacson book, it makes sense that a company started in a northern California garage still in the afterglow of the "summer of love" by a couple of outlaw hippies (blue box, anyone?), the dominant one who never bathed nor ate meat and lived in a commune might come up with that name, or that logo. Steve even identified with Johnny Appleseed in his evangelical quest to make the world a better place through advanced technology (which may even have more than a little to do with where the company name actually came from). I think that worked out rather well, actually.

It's a little ironic. Too late to change the name, but it's 2012, ferchrissake. Maybe a newer more understated evolution of the logo might actually be in order.

glen e
Jun 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
Rediculous.....1st recognized logo in the world......

http://rankingthebrands.com/

Why would apple make a computer or any product without it.....???

You may not like it, but it's good business....

miatadan
Jun 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
.[/QUOTE]As someone who bought a MBA, my first Mac ever, and use it to run Windows 7 -- here's my reasons:

3) Mac OS X has proven to be inefficient for my usage. You can't even copy the path from an Finder window. No taskbar to see all my open windows. No easy way to tile windows side-by-side. If you get things done faster in Mac OS, then good for you. The Mac users I know, like most Windows users, don't bother or care about any of these features.[/QUOTE]

I understand your reasons as I use Windows 7 as much as OS X and iOS 5.

For me I do not worry about logo as all companies have their logo on their lap tops. Every one knows ThinkPad logo , Vaio for Sony etc

Dan

GKDAIR
Jun 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
TC just sounds like a windows fanboy whos too embarrassed to bring his computer anywhere in public.

Seriously there's no way you can even see the apple unless you get on your macbook in front of a mirror.