PDA

View Full Version : How many of you would sell your 2010 MacBook Air if new 13 MBP comes out

ccsicecoke
Feb 15, 2011, 10:32 PM
Just saw some rumors about MBP update in the first week of March

If the new MBP gets SB, discrete graphic card and 13 inch 1440*900 display, also with no optical drive, would you sell your shiny MBA and buy the new MBP?

Just curious.

axu539
Feb 15, 2011, 10:44 PM
Nope. I sold a late 08 MBP to buy my 11" MBA, and I will be buying a new 2011 MBP on top of the that. The MBA is for insane portability and lightweight computing, while the MBP would be for power. Two different purposes.

jayo123456
Feb 15, 2011, 10:44 PM
im thinking about it....
depends what comes out.

ssd, 1440x900, no optical, + cosmetic changes...

I'm copping.

KPOM
Feb 15, 2011, 10:46 PM

If the new MBP gets SB, discrete graphic card and 13 inch 1440*900 display, also with no optical drive, would you sell your shiny MBA and buy the new MBP?

Just curious.

It wouldn't make me sell what I already have, though if I didn't already have a MacBook Air, and a well-equipped Pro came out it would certainly attract my attention.

I think what would be more likely to make me want to sell my 13" Rev D is an 11" Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge version of the Air that offers similar or better performance.

Beaverman3001
Feb 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
Depends on price/features. For the most part my C2D handles anything I personally do so it wouldn't be a upgrade that I "needed", but everything is replaceable if the price is right.

hcho3
Feb 15, 2011, 10:49 PM
No...

13 MBP will get i3, but what kind of GPU will it have? Yea... intel graphic card.

I will stay with my core 2 DUO and Nvidia. The upgrade will not be significant enough.

Psilocybin
Feb 15, 2011, 10:53 PM
no...

13 mbp will get i3, but what kind of gpu will it have? Yea... Intel graphic card.

I will stay with my core 2 duo and nvidia. The upgrade will not be significant enough.

+1

DarwinOSX
Feb 15, 2011, 11:18 PM
That would make it a MacBook Air so i don't see your point.

Just curious.

aleni
Feb 16, 2011, 02:00 AM
i wouldn't sell my 11". it's so portable. actually i always have macbook pro and macbook air as a companion.

but i wish the next MBP will include blade SSD and exclude the cd drive, so the design will be much thinner like the new macbook air. :D

kx22
Feb 16, 2011, 03:04 AM
Whatever they come with: i cant be this beautiful!
I mean if they scrap the CD drive and make is a lot lighter its just exactly like the Air!

Icaras
Feb 16, 2011, 04:28 AM
Nope. I sold a late 08 MBP to buy my 11" MBA, and I will be buying a new 2011 MBP on top of the that. The MBA is for insane portability and lightweight computing, while the MBP would be for power. Two different purposes.

Same. Sold my 09' MBP for the 11" MBA and just totally love this machine. I won't be parting with my MBA anytime soon. And agreed on different purposes for each machine.

LOL, aside from SB, yea pretty much spot on.

MacRumorUser
Feb 16, 2011, 05:36 AM
Whatever they come with: i cant be this beautiful!
I mean if they scrap the CD drive and make is a lot lighter its just exactly like the Air!

Exactly......

Different segment of users completely. Those that need big storage and a CD drive, go for the macbook & macbook pro. Those that want streamlined experience for ultra-portabilty go macbook air.

I do not envision 'radical' changes to the MBP line, just a few cosmetic tweaks possibly.

The MBA lineup is a great success now for Apple, compared to the previous incarnation. I do not see them pissing that success away by releasing new machines which gobble up the mba's market.

Boston007
Feb 16, 2011, 07:54 AM
Exactly......

Different segment of users completely. Those that need big storage and a CD drive, go for the macbook & macbook pro. Those that want streamlined experience for ultra-portabilty go macbook air.

I do not envision 'radical' changes to the MBP line, just a few cosmetic tweaks possibly.

The MBA lineup is a great success now for Apple, compared to the previous incarnation. I do not see them pissing that success away by releasing new machines which gobble up the mba's market.

I agree with this poster.

I find these discussions rather useless, I'm sorry.

The MBA is designed for a different segment. It's not designed for a power user, per se. I have a Mac Pro at home as my desktop. All my power needs get done through that. The MBA is perfect for travel and when I am in school.

There's no need for me trade in my MBA for a new MBP even if they put a SSD in it and scrap the superdrive.

pcshrink
Feb 16, 2011, 08:26 AM
Heck no! Luv my MBA Ultimate - IMHO..nothing compares..portability, sleekness, quality...cant beat it. :D

YMark
Feb 16, 2011, 08:56 AM
I find these discussions rather useless, I'm sorry.

Well said.

torbjoern
Feb 16, 2011, 09:02 AM

Just curious.

Certainly not.

leowyatt
Feb 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
I certainly won't be selling my MBA to buy the new MBP. I made the decision to buy the Air as it suited my needs perfectly at the time and I don't see that changing in the next couple of months.

Pressure
Feb 16, 2011, 09:59 AM
Well, they could gut the optical drive and use a dedicated graphic chip and increase the battery size.

Sandy Bridge
Dedicated graphic chip
Solid State Disk
Bigger battery
1440 x 900 resolution (13")
Same form factor as the previous MacBook Pro

stewie1
Feb 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
Note the tagline on the new MBA intro:
"The next generation of MacBooks".

The MBP is going to lose the optical drive eventually. It will get thinner and lighter. And the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA will morph into one as the weight difference diminishes.

Not sure that will happen in 2 weeks, but it almost certainly WILL happen.

Undo Redo
Feb 16, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm not likely to sell my new Air right away but will consider a MBP next year if it's more like the Air, with a less reflective screen, lighter weight, etc. What I'd really like to see is a reduction in the width of the screen bezel, which seems like such a waste of space on all MacBooks. That improvement might make me sell right away.

topmounter
Feb 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
They would have to bring the performance and features of the 13" MBP on-par with the 15" and 17" MBP's before I could even consider this question.

jamesryanbell
Feb 16, 2011, 12:46 PM
If it ends up being half a pound heavier with an awesome processor upgrade, totally new look (black, like the supposed intel ad leak), and blade SSD, I would laugh my head off.

And buy one.

hcho3
Feb 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
You guys giving apple too much credit. Apple is very sneaky and they go cheap all the times to make users open their wallets more.

1. 13 MBP will get 1440X900 resolution yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if apple ask for more money for it and keep the resolution at 1280X800. This happened before with 15 MBP. Apple kept the resolution at 1440X900 and asked for more money on higher resolution.

2. SSD will be standard on MBP, eventually. But, apple will throw in 64G SSD tops. U ain't going to see 128GB SSD or 256GB SSD as standard. No way. They are not cheap.

3. Taking out optical drive? Maybe, but I doubt it will happen with this update. If you take out optical drive, then it defeats the purpose of being MBP. It becomes MBA.

stockscalper
Feb 16, 2011, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't. I like weight, thinness and superior graphics card of the MBA.

foulmouthedleon
Feb 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
I sold my 15" MBP and got the 13" MBA and am so far loving the MBA. I wouldn't be too anxious to give it up, but I'll wait and see what the specs are on the new MBP when they're announced. I do like the MBA's smaller size, better display (higher pixel density), lack of an optical drive and SSD/Flash memory so if the new MBP can't top that - no need for me to switch back.

That70sGAdawg
Feb 16, 2011, 05:14 PM
No way, the new 13" MacBook will weigh almost twice as much as the 13"Air...

Sodner
Feb 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well I think that Apple will keep the 13" MBP different enough that what you are suggesting spec wise will not happen.

MoodyMedStudent
Feb 16, 2011, 09:56 PM
If it comes with SSD standard, is less than 4 lbs and can outperform the Nvidia 320M for graphics, I'll consider it.

Scottsdale
Feb 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
I would, IF-

The 13" MBP gets an update to AMD CPU or Sandy Bridge CPU with discrete AMD GPU, eliminates the optical drive, adds an HD IPS display, uses both a boot blade SSD for OS X and apps and a second HDD for files, has a backlit keyboard, is as thin as or thinner than the MBA, and weighs the same or less than the MBA.

Basically, I just want an "updated" MBA to 2011-type specs... contrary to most, I would prefer AMD CPUs if going Core i-series means only using Intel graphics. Or I would happily stick with C2D for years to come... I don't believe in anything Intel is doing on the graphics front, and I believe Apple needs to use discrete AMD GPUs in all Mac notebooks.

However, the MBP needs to lose the optical drive and at least pick up an optional bay where discrete graphics, secondary drives, or an optical drive could be used.

I really hope the rumored Summer MBA update includes a backlit keyboard, a discrete GPU, and USB 3.0 ports. That is the update I am waiting for...

I know some will say the discrete GPU isn't possible, but with AMD's GPUs the power draw is as little as 7W. I really think that's doable. In addition, I don't actually care if Intel improves, until their GPUs can match discrete GPUs, I prefer they keep them off the CPU.

jinxednuance
Feb 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yup

Onimusha370
Feb 17, 2011, 10:32 AM
i think i love my air to much to sell it that quickly.
the only point when i'll consider selling my air in the next year is if they update the MBA with sandy bridge, backlit keyboard, and squeeze an extra hour or 2 out of the battery (which sandy bridge would accomplish thanks to integrated graphics etc).
i'm very happy with the ultimate 13 inch.

Acorn
Feb 17, 2011, 10:48 AM
i am at a standstill if id upgrade. i love my 11 inch air for almost everything. honestly there is nothing stressful i do on the computer except compile. even then the wait isnt long.

it depends on the gpu i guess. which sadly we already know is intel. intel graphics sucks. they always lie and over hype every time they talk about their graphics. Ive used intel graphics on and off for over 15 years and they NEVER live to expectations. investing in intel graphics is like pissing in the wind.

Psilocybin
Feb 17, 2011, 11:27 AM
uhm....just because of the intel gpu i would never purchase..
i am proud and glad i got the last macbook that could possibly have nvidia gpu

PsyD4Me
Feb 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
no, because the summer MBA update is more lucrative for me than the MBP

Hellhammer
Feb 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
I know some will say the discrete GPU isn't possible, but with AMD's GPUs the power draw is as little as 7W. I really think that's doable. In addition, I don't actually care if Intel improves, until their GPUs can match discrete GPUs, I prefer they keep them off the CPU.

The power draw shouldn't be that big of an issue but discrete GPU would require three major chips in the logic board (CPU, GPU, PCH) compared to two chips found in current MBA (CPU, 320M). That would most likely require a bigger logic board and MBA isn't exactly a spacious machine.

ATI 5430M (http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5430.23702.0.html) isn't too fast either. It quite a bit slower than the Intel HD 3000 (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html) (yes, that is the desktop version but still, it beats the 5430M so easily). Discrete GPU should be noticeably faster than the Intel IGP in order to be worth it. Adding 5% faster discrete GPU would be pointless.

Psilocybin
Feb 17, 2011, 01:11 PM
The power draw shouldn't be that big of an issue but discrete GPU would require three major chips in the logic board (CPU, GPU, PCH) compared to two chips found in current MBA (CPU, 320M). That would most likely require a bigger logic board and MBA isn't exactly a spacious machine.

ATI 5430M (http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5430.23702.0.html) isn't too fast either. It quite a bit slower than the Intel HD 3000 (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html) (yes, that is the desktop version but still, it beats the 5430M so easily). Discrete GPU should be noticeably faster than the Intel IGP in order to be worth it. Adding 5% faster discrete GPU would be pointless.

well said

Hands Sandon
Feb 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
I got the 11.6 1.4/2/128 today and have played around on it for a few hours and am blown away by how nice the screen is, the weight (or lack of it :D ) and the utterly silent usage so far. For me, waiting for the new MBP's is now irrelevant.

teerexx52
Feb 17, 2011, 02:09 PM
I got the 11.6 1.4/2/128 today and have played around on it for a few hours and am blown away by how nice the screen is, the weight (or lack of it :D ) and the utterly silent usage so far. For me, waiting for the new MBP's is now irrelevant.

I agree but with Apple you never know what they are going to throw at us next to make us part with our money

Scottsdale
Feb 17, 2011, 11:58 PM

You're missing a gigantic piece of the puzzle though. The Intel ULV Core i7 CPUs could use all potential power for CPU. Basically running turbo mode all the time. This is why a discrete GPU makes sense. In addition, I am going to greatly dispute your numbers on ATI vs Intel graphics. Forget what you read about Windows drivers, as OS X proves 40% less efficient in OpenGL and other key performance measures. Until the graphics chip companies help write drivers and improve the systems, Apple has accepted it's own poor graphics performance. On Windows, I am happy with Intel's graphics, but that is a gigantic difference from what OS X provides.

Hellhammer
Feb 18, 2011, 07:38 AM
You're missing a gigantic piece of the puzzle though. The Intel ULV Core i7 CPUs could use all potential power for CPU. Basically running turbo mode all the time.

Only when more power is needed though. When not doing anything CPU heavy, it will underclock itself to use less energy and thus provide better battery life.

In addition, I am going to greatly dispute your numbers on ATI vs Intel graphics. Forget what you read about Windows drivers, as OS X proves 40% less efficient in OpenGL and other key performance measures.

That applies to both, ATI and Intel then, so what's the point? 40% slower Intel IGP is still faster than 40% slower 5430M.

Hands Sandon
Feb 18, 2011, 12:28 PM
I agree but with Apple you never know what they are going to throw at us next to make us part with our money

....ooops...found the screen too small after staying up late using it. Returned it and got the base 13.3" instead. I hate returning things and rarely ever do, but the 13" screen makes all the difference, in fact it now feels like a real computer, (as an unexpected bonus it has the faster ssd, which the 11.6" didn't have).

GekkePrutser
Feb 18, 2011, 04:16 PM
I just sold my MBP 13" (mid-2009) today, I was going to buy a MacBook Air. However I might wait and see what's going to happen with the new MBP now, since it's rumored to be a lot lighter. And by the sound of it it's imminent now.

It'll have to be close enough to the weight of the Air though for me to consider it. Since I got the Mac Mini my MBP got hardly any use at all and it's too heavy to bring it along when I'm not 100% sure I'll need it. The air would fix that (especially the 11").

The only thing I can imagine Apple could come up with in the new MBP that would really interest me would be a matte screen option on the 13". I never liked Apple's gloss craze and I never will (hence my Mac Mini instead of an iMac)

So no, most likely I will get the Air, but at this stage it depends what they come up with.

AMDGAMER
Feb 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
The AIR is great...but I have to admit I'm curious to see what the 17" MBPRO refresh looks like. I could very well end up selling my current macbook PRO for 500-600 bucks and going with the 17".

2IS
Feb 21, 2011, 08:36 PM
Not me. I got the MBA for it's combination of portability, and speed. I don't want to sacrafice something I need (portability) for something I don't (more power)

If I was going to sacrafice portability for power, I'd make sure the power was enough to do some pretty good gaming and for that I'd buy a PC.

bowlerman625
Feb 21, 2011, 09:13 PM
Nope

nowstime
Feb 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
Had the MBA ultimate for awhile but sold it due to its fan noise. It's a great light computer for light jobs, IMO. The boot time is super quick and apps load super fast but multiple jobs caused great fan noise. If you can manage the fan speed to a decent level, it's a great machine. Just not my cup of tea.

rubberwheels
Feb 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Well, I just purchased the 11.6 and I loved it for the portability. It can handle everything I do with it now. I wouldn't see a reason to buy it. I would be pissed if the new MBP is as light as my Macbook Air 11.6. I sold my Mid-2009 MBP for this air because of mobility and small form factor.

Maven1975
Feb 21, 2011, 11:57 PM
Well, I just purchased the 11.6 and I loved it for the portability. It can handle everything I do with it now. I wouldn't see a reason to buy it. I would be pissed if the new MBP is as light as my Macbook Air 11.6. I sold my Mid-2009 MBP for this air because of mobility and small form factor.

It will be larger. It will still have the crappy glass screen. It will have a larger power supply. It will take more than 3 hours to fully charge. It will never be a sleek as the 11".

The 11" is the best air to own currently IMO. The 13" Air is too close to the 13 MBP. But you will still have to deal with the above issues when going 13"

What the 13" Semi-Pro needs is a Discrete GPU. Otherwise, the Air spanks it overall.

halledise
Feb 22, 2011, 01:19 AM
nope. I sold a late 08 mbp to buy my 11" mba, and i will be buying a new 2011 mbp on top of the that. The mba is for insane portability and lightweight computing, while the mbp would be for power. Two different purposes.

+1

entatlrg
Feb 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
Only reason to give up my beloved MacBook Air would be for more power. And like most I don't need excess power in a notebook ... no reason to give up the form factor.

jamesryanbell
Feb 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
iPad will be sold before March 1st in order to get a refurb 11.6" Air. Excited. :)

I'll probably sell my late '08 MBP sometime later in the year to get a refurb Mac Pro, since I won't need the portability anymore (and I already have a 27" ACD).

orfeas0
Feb 22, 2011, 04:57 PM

So the air has SB, a discrete graphics card, firewire etc etc?
Stop saying that a thin pro=air. It's not. The air has a c2d of 1,4->1,8ghz, the MBP has a minimum of 2,4ghz -.- pretty different you see.+4gb standard ram, unlike the 2gb of the air.

firewood
Feb 22, 2011, 07:33 PM
No.

After using my MBA 11 for few weeks, a MBP 13 seems like such a large and heavy device that shaving off a half pound in weight won't be enough to get me back to using something that big for my portable needs.

zulumonk
Feb 22, 2011, 09:13 PM
I've had my air since Christmas and love just about everything about it. That being said, if the new 13" pros deliver on most of the rumors and are within my price range, then I may consider selling mine. I probably wont though, due to the hassle and loss that would occur from selling my air, and the fact that I received it as a present.

skcrane
Feb 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
I will keep my macbook air ultimate 13 love it. It is speedy great battery life and I still can't believe how light it is and portable. The only reason I would get a macbook pro is the 15 inch screen. But honestly the screen on the 13 macbook air is really good enough I rarely need the real estate of the 15. I am really impressed with the air. I think the macbook air and macbook pro 13 are going to be pretty similar. The only real difference will probably be the processor (c2d vs i3 or i5 maybe) and the ssd of the macbook air. For me I don't need the processor power I will take the ssd anyday and the lighter weight and portability. Just moving the air around the house is a joy instead of a macbook pro. Unless you do a lot of video, photo editing or gaming I don't know why you would need a pro for most mac users I am sure the air is plenty for their needs.

yegon
Feb 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
I'll be happy with my 11" ultimate so long as it's fit for the purpose it was bought - on the go browsing and watching HD video. The fact that it's only a c2d is irrelevant, so long as it performs the tasks I want from it. Therefore, 3+ years. I've a 15" mbp for donkey work and a 2k beastly PC for windows gaming.

Of course, were the next 11" to arrive with backlit keyboard and 3G built in I'd look on enviously....but I wouldn't upgrade, not a chance.

Psilocybin
Feb 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm happy and surprised the number of people that will not dump their MBA for the new mbp :)

EspressoLove
Feb 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
I'll be selling my 13"UMBA for Sandy/Ivy'Bridge 11"UMBA only :cool::p

Though I was envying 17"MBP'guys, for ten years I stuck to 15" lappies, now I'm a happy downsizer :D:rolleyes:

EspressoLove
Feb 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
I'm happy and surprised the number of people that will not dump their MBA for the new mbp :)

Are you kidding :rolleyes: I've sold my '10 i7 HiRes 15"MBP to get 13"MBA :eek:

Beaverman3001
Feb 23, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't touch the new MPB unless it was sub 900$ with that GPU. GPU is too important for me compared to the CPU.

calvol
Feb 23, 2011, 10:29 PM
Think I'll keep my 2010 UMBA until the Ivy update in 2012, no need for churning thru new models with only incremental updates. I like the C2D-Nvidia combo, battery life is insane, don't need more than 7-8 hours.

Cheplampardfan
Feb 23, 2011, 11:05 PM
Think I'll keep my 2010 UMBA until the Ivy update in 2012, no need for churning thru new models with only incremental updates. I like the C2D-Nvidia combo, battery life is insane, don't need more than 7-8 hours.

This...... I love my 13 base 4gb

rrl
Feb 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
Can't speak for the people with 13" MBA's, but this is a non-event for those of us with 11" MBA's. And besides, weight factors aside, in order to get the same resolution, a 13" MBA owner would have to get a 15" MBP. Fail.

stockscalper
Feb 24, 2011, 10:44 AM
The latest updates are totally lame. I'm totally satisfied with the 2010 13" MBA Ultimate. The Core Duo/NVidia combo is superb.

gdeputy
Feb 24, 2011, 11:20 AM
The latest updates are totally lame. I'm totally satisfied with the 2010 13" MBA Ultimate. The Core Duo/NVidia combo is superb.

to get a nice GPU it'll cost you like 2100 dollars. that's a little insane IMHO.

Happy to have the MBA right now :).

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 11:34 AM
I'm with everyone else on this. I am sticking with my MacBook air with coolbook. I like the portability and weight of my 13 inch. My wife has a 17" pc with i5 if i ever need that, which I won't

13" gpu MBA>13" mbp
13" res MBA> 13" mbp
13" weight MBA>13" mbp
13" battery life MBA> 13"mbp
13" with ssd MBA cheaper than mbp

docomo
Feb 24, 2011, 11:39 AM
new MBPs suck :(

dwardin9
Feb 24, 2011, 12:17 PM
The release of the Macbook Pro are an indication of what is to come from Apple. This summer it's safe to say that the Macbook Air will indeed see a quick refresh with Sandy Bridge processor and perhaps a backlit keyboard. I doubt that Apple will stick with the nvidia 320m since their move to Intel's graphic push in the new 13'' Macbook Pro.

I just sold my first gen Macbook Air for the 13" Macbook Air 2010. I doubt i will upgrade to another refresh until next a major redesign for the Macbook pro or Air.

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
The release of the Macbook Pro are an indication of what is to come from Apple. This summer it's safe to say that the Macbook Air will indeed see a quick refresh with Sandy Bridge processor and perhaps a backlit keyboard. I doubt that Apple will stick with the nvidia 320m since their move to Intel's graphic push in the new 13'' Macbook Pro.

I just sold my first gen Macbook Air for the 13" Macbook Air 2010. I doubt i will upgrade to another refresh until next a major redesign for the Macbook pro or Air.

there is no facts behind the macbook air refresh, you may want to refrain from giving false information if you are not 100% positive. there is no safe to say when it comes to apple and early refreshes you should know that!

ranjitb
Feb 24, 2011, 01:18 PM
13" gpu MBA>13" mbp
13" res MBA> 13" mbp
13" weight MBA>13" mbp
13" battery life MBA> 13"mbp
13" with ssd MBA cheaper than mbp

Very well said and summarized, the new updated 13 MBP look garbage if you compare it with 13 MBA.

dwardin9
Feb 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
there is no facts behind the macbook air refresh, you may want to refrain from giving false information if you are not 100% positive. there is no safe to say when it comes to apple and early refreshes you should know that!

I completely agree that my assumptions are not 100% especially when it comes to Apple. This is a mac rumors forum where we discuss rumors. I have every confidence that readers understand that. After spending way too many hours reading sites Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Tuaw, MacRumors..etc. Its not hard to predict this summers product releases. Iphone, Os X 10.7 lion, imac/mac mini/Air refresh. September: ipods/apple tv refresh October/November: any other product that hasnt been previously updated.

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
I completely agree that my assumptions are not 100% especially when it comes to Apple. This is a mac rumors forum where we discuss rumors. I have every confidence that readers understand that. After spending way too many hours reading sites Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Tuaw, MacRumors..etc. Its not hard to predict this summers product releases. Iphone, Os X 10.7 lion, imac/mac mini/Air refresh. September: ipods/apple tv refresh October/November: any other product that hasnt been previously updated.

I apologize for sounding rude in that post

I wouldn't doubt some of your post is correct. Just have to wait and see I guess

tigres
Feb 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
Quite frankly, when you go MBA ultimate, how does one back to a MBP?

Funkymonk
Feb 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
Mba all the way. Honestly they should just kill the 13" mbp.

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
Mba all the way. Honestly they should just kill the 13" mbp.

Agreed. Apple will lose profit from it probably

Buck987
Feb 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
Agreed. Apple will lose profit from it probably

Its only their best selling laptop.

MartiNZ
Feb 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
This...... I love my 13 base 4gb

And this!

The MBPs just look and feel so bulky now, and all those ports I know I'll hardly use. No doubt hotter running on the new processors, whereas I've been no less than amazed at the Air's 'cool runnings' - damn good film incidentally.

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 03:26 PM
Its only their best selling laptop.

Soon it won't be the 13" mbp is garbage. Anyone with a sense of technology should know this

Buck987
Feb 24, 2011, 03:47 PM
Soon it won't be the 13" mbp is garbage. Anyone with a sense of technology should know this

then short the stock...

KPOM
Feb 24, 2011, 04:04 PM

The average buyer will be just fine with the 13" MPB. Mac buyers are used to paying a premium, and now the current model has the latest CPU rather than an old one on its last legs. The IGP is slower, but the average buyer doesn't really care about that.

zulumonk
Feb 24, 2011, 07:20 PM
then short the stock...

My sentiments exactly. We all know that the new MBPs will sell like hotcakes regardless of the comments of the macrumors community. I really don't understand why one Apple product has to be considered bad for another to shine.

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 07:39 PM
The average buyer will be just fine with the 13" MPB. Mac buyers are used to paying a premium, and now the current model has the latest CPU rather than an old one on its last legs. The IGP is slower, but the average buyer doesn't really care about that.

true,,i guess i am a bit off with "anyone with a sense of technology"

gri
Feb 24, 2011, 08:03 PM
If the MBP 13 inch would have been like that one in the Intel ad and close to the weight of the 13 MBA, SSD from the start, no optical drive, well, than it would have been another story. But with ca 0.7 kg more than the Air, Intel graphic card with shared memory... I guess my old refurb MBA (rev C I guess, original design WITH backlit key board) will go for another couple months. Lets see how the future of the MacBook really will be.

DarwinOSX
Feb 24, 2011, 09:09 PM

That is a ridiculous thing to say.

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 09:13 PM
That is a ridiculous thing to say.

sorry for the facts bud..its life

Buck987
Feb 24, 2011, 09:40 PM
sorry for the facts bud..its life

you've given no facts....when you have some...come back

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 10:35 PM
you've given no facts....when you have some...come back

I am coparing it to the MBA 13" and The facts are the specs of the "new" 13" mbp. Res for this PRO is lower than the MBA? WTF is up with that? Gpu is intel? Haha. The only plus is the processor and a port that isn't even possible to use at this time

There's no point in arguing about this I have my opinion and you have yours

topmounter
Feb 24, 2011, 10:54 PM
I am coparing it to the MBA 13" and The facts are the specs of the "new" 13" mbp. Res for this PRO is lower than the MBA? WTF is up with that? Gpu is intel? Haha. The only plus is the processor and a port that isn't even possible to use at this time

There's no point in arguing about this I have my opinion and you have yours

You've obviously overlooked the single most important feature on the 13" MBP that easily offsets all the shortcomings that you mentioned... the 13" MBP has a back-lit keyboard!1! :D

epicshredder
Feb 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
Yea i'm in a pickle. I have an Ultimate 13"MBA bought a week ago with a return date of 3/1. I was hoping/curious that the new MBP's would make me want to return/exchange my MBA. I'm not too sure any of the new MBP's really make me want to switch except for high end 15" with SSD option and high res which is at least $600 more than my MBA. Its hard not to like the MBA when you get used to it and the SSD. Sounds like people are having problems with heat on the new MBP's anyways, I like to keep my balls cool and fresh.

P.S.: Dont all of you know how to touch type? What's with the backlit keyboard gripe? I'm all about more options/features, but that would never be a "dealbreaker"

Psilocybin
Feb 24, 2011, 11:08 PM
You've obviously overlooked the single most important feature on the 13" MBP that easily offsets all the shortcomings that you mentioned... the 13" MBP has a back-lit keyboard!1! :D

Haha :D and there's that for all you die hard back lit keyboard fans. Sorry I missed that

EspressoLove
Feb 25, 2011, 02:03 AM
13" MBP is no match to 13"MBA at all - that's a fact :cool: (unless you can't live without keylights & HDD :p)

I miss 15" Hires a bit (both 1680x and it's gamut), but I was fullscreening apps all I could even on MBP, and with Lion I'll finally get rid of menubar and be perfectly happy :D

torbjoern
Feb 25, 2011, 02:37 AM

The keyboard on the MBP feels like there's a thick layer of rubber or cheap silicone behind the keys, if you compare it with the sturdiness of the MBA-keyboard. But at least the MBP-keyboard is backlit. It was hard for me to let go of that feature (backlighting) until I actually had tried both keyboards side-by-side. Once you have a really good keyboard for typing - you don't give a fxxx about backlighting.

GT-R
Feb 25, 2011, 04:07 PM
whats with everybody complaining about the lack of back lighting on the keyboard for the air?

i rarely ever look at my keyboard when i type, and u can turn the mba screen bright enough that you can see the keyboard if you need to look at it...

it probably saves some battery life too