Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
I just recently purchased the xion audio profile lp player which as a usb connector. I know its not professional level equipment.

I have been dabbling around with it and I have it connected to cd spin doctor. When its time to save the imported audio the following options are presented

aif/aiff
linear pcm, 8 bit big-endian signed integer
linear pcm, 16 bit big-endian signed integer
linear pcm, 24 bit big-endian signed integer
linear pcm, 32 bit big-endian signed integer

wav
linear pcm, 8 bit big-endian unsigned integer
linear pcm, 16 bit big-endian signed integer
linear pcm, 24 bit big-endian signed integer
linear pcm, 32 bit big-endian signed integer
linear pcm, 32 bit big-endian floating point
linear pcm, 64 bit big-endian floating point
u-law 2:1
a-law 2:1

apple mpeg4 audio
aac
mpeg4 high efficiency aac
mpeg4 low delay aac
apple lossless

After being imported the songs will be imported to itunes and played there and on an ipod.

so my questions are
Is audacity better than cd spin doctor for such a simple project
Is there a way to find out the quality of the audio that comes in on the usb cable from the vinyl player?
What format should the source files be saved in?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
What frequency range will the xion usb turntable sample at? 44khz, try and go for 96khz to get a better de-clicking and de-popping result (though there's some debate about this). Vinyl has better results when recording at 24bit also.

The file format is kind of mute, but I always record mine in WAV to keep a master copy, then convert later using DBPowerAmp tools (on windows).

Plus Wav is supported in iTunes so you can convert using their dubious converters within iTunes itself.

Edit: I also use Audacity as it enables you to do a lot more filters without damaging the original copy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is there a way to find out the quality of the audio that comes in on the usb cable from the vinyl player?
What format should the source files be saved in?

Firt find the specs for your USB turntable. If it is only doin 44K and 16-bits there is no point saving as 24-bits and 96K. Save the data at the naticve bit depth and sample rate.

As for format, any lossless format will do as will uncompressed WAV. Save your archive that way but you may wantothe compress to ssmall files for use with iTunes and your iPod.

PS.

I always wonder how they sell these USB turn tables. I would have thought that anyone who has vinyl records would already own a turn table and would simply use that connected to the audio input on the Mac.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
PS.

I always wonder how they sell these USB turn tables. I would have thought that anyone who has vinyl records would already own a turn table and would simply use that connected to the audio input on the Mac.
This should answer your question:
Special note on connecting a standalone turntable

If you have a standalone turntable, you should not (generally speaking) connect it directly to your computer's sound-card. Instead, you should connect it to the sound-card via an amplifier or receiver with a built-in "phono" or turntable input, or to a stand-alone phono pre-amplifier and then record from the amplifier's "line out" or "tape out" jacks, or directly from the standalone phono pre-amp jacks. This is for two reasons: (1) the audio signals produced by a phono cartridge are very low voltages - typically too weak to be recorded directly, and (2) most records manufactured from the 1950s onwards are produced with RIAA equalization, a form of pre-emphasis which boosts high frequencies and reduces low frequencies, which is then de-emphasized on playback.

If left uncorrected, capturing this output will result in a recording that sounds very "tinny". All amplifiers containing a "phono" stage will boost the cartridge's signal to line-level so that it is suitable for input into a tape deck or a computer sound-card, and will flatten the RIAA equalization so that the record sounds "normal" again. If you have an integrated "stack system" or "entertainment center" into which you plug your speakers, you may already have a suitable phono input and line-level output to use.

However, it's possible to directly connect a standalone turntable to the line input of a high quality sound card, if you are prepared to perform the amplification and RIAA equalization yourself in Audacity. Effect > Equalization has a suitable RIAA preset. If you are recording discs pre-dating RIAA equalization such as 78 RPMs, these sound too dull if recorded via RIAA re-equalization/de-emphasis. A solution to this is to either directly connect the turntable to a sound card with a "high-gain" input, or to use a "flat" amplifier that applies no re-equalization, but instead just provides signal gain. The recorded waveform can then be post equalized in Audacity using an appropriate 78 RPM filter.
Source: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Transferring_tapes_and_records_to_computer_or_CD

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
They sell them because people like myself threw out our turntable years ago. Plus, the setup and ease of use. They work great, I have an Ion brand and ripped over forty albums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Another option if you do not want to go with a USB player or worry about Audio out from a receiver or AV Processor is the NAD PP3i ($199). There are a few others out there, but they are creeping into the $500+ price range. I am looking at this unit for myself so I can plug my turntable into it, use a USB cable to connect to my Mac Mini and rip the albums with the NAD software ($25 extra). It helps with tagging the songs, removing clicks and pops, and exports to various audio files including ALAC, which is what I use.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Another option if you do not want to go with a USB player or worry about Audio out from a receiver or AV Processor is the NAD PP3i ($199). There are a few others out there, but they are creeping into the $500+ price range. I am looking at this unit for myself so I can plug my turntable into it, use a USB cable to connect to my Mac Mini and rip the albums with the NAD software ($25 extra). It helps with tagging the songs, removing clicks and pops, and exports to various audio files including ALAC, which is what I use.

Software RIAA equalization is available at no cost. There is arguments that it might be even more acurate then a real phono preamp, certainly cheaper.

If budget is unlimited then yes, buy everything. But if you have only $199 to spend. Buy a new photo cartridge or something that really will have a huge impact on the sound.

The way to ask this question is "given the gear I already own and my budget what new gear will give the best sound?" the answer is different for everyone. For most people the best use of funds is to spend monay as "close to the vinyl" as yuo can. Start with leaning equipment to remove dirt. That has biggest payoff, then look at in this order stylus, cartridge turntable and then the audio interface into the computer. It's is a one-way signal flow later stages can not un-do hard cause by early stages, so work from the vinyl then follow the signal down stream investing in upgrades i nthat order

So that preamp might be worth it if the gear upstream is up to the task or a total waste of money if the turn table and cartridge as junk. It all depends

Brooke5

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Hi,..
Things made for vinyl don't sound right digital, similarly things made for digital sound stupid on vinyl (though many artists still sell vinyls in this way). At least this has been my experience.

regards,..

numlock

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Firt find the specs for your USB turntable. If it is only doin 44K and 16-bits there is no point saving as 24-bits and 96K. Save the data at the naticve bit depth and sample rate.

As for format, any lossless format will do as will uncompressed WAV. Save your archive that way but you may wantothe compress to ssmall files for use with iTunes and your iPod.

PS.

Thanks. How exactly do I find the specs for the turntable? Is there something on the computer that can tell me it?

I did call ion up and they recommend 44k and 16bit so I guess thats the specs.

Well I do own an old pioneer turntable but I saw this one day on woot and just decided to get it. Ive questioned my purchase a few times since then but I at least want to try it out.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I'm about to embark on this process myself. I have about 3500 LPs (roughly 1/3 Jazz, 2/3 classical). I've been using a 20+ yr. old Linn Sondek LP12 with an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and Linn Sara speakers, but the LP12 needs repair, so I'm going to trade it to someone who wants it for tweaking in return for a new Rega P3-24.

I think I will get the NAD PP 3i phono-to-USB preamp for ripping select LPs to digital. This is something I've never done. It comes with AlpineSoft’s VinylStudio Lite ripping software, so I'll see how that'll works out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.