Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

App Downloader

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
I bought a MacBook Air superdrive, and the first time I inserted a DVD disk it said something about setting the region code and I only had 5 times to change it or something, so can I reset the region code count someday, incase i change it 5 more times?

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
i think its tied to the hardware so you only get 5 times. i'd pick the one you view most of your content in

kryca

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I bought a MacBook Air superdrive, and the first time I inserted a DVD disk it said something about setting the region code and I only had 5 times to change it or something, so can I reset the region code count someday, incase i change it 5 more times?

No you can't change it after 5 times - officially.

You may or may not be able download the drive's firmware and do a factory reset. Then the count starts at 0 again. This would require you to know the exact drive mechanism, finding the firmware on the internet and then uploading it to the drive. I have never gone through that process so I can't outline what that process takes, maybe you would even be required to do that from within windows.

This whole region business is a weird relict of the big film studios, dividing up the world in regions so they can cash in.

peasant

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
for movies on dvd i've used vlc to watch different region dvds. that was a way to skip apple dvd player's 5 change rule. maybe someone knows if this has changed as i havent been watching foreign dvd's recently

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Just use the VLC player, the above poster is right. I have a whole collection of foreign DVDs and I never change the drive's region code, I just use VLC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.