PDA

View Full Version : Choose between 11" low end a MacBook




Mars478
Feb 16, 2011, 11:14 AM
In November I bought myself an 11" MacBook Air (999$ Model) as a computer to tide my time until the new Sandy Bridge MBPs came out. Today a friends tells me she has bought a new 13" MacBook Pro and needs her data transferred from her 999$ MacBook (2.26GHZ, 2GB, Unibody Plastic) and she told me I can Keep it. The only catch with the MacBook is that it is water damaged, and half the keyboard does not work. I can fix this one way or another but I am in a dilemma.
Which one do I keep and which do I sell?
Air:
I prefer the light weightness, sharp screen, diminutive structure, USB on both sides, good battery, quiteness, and SSD Speed (Although I have a SATA SSD I can but into the MacBook)

MacBook:
I prefer the Power, upgradeability, port selection (although not much), Extra SATA bay so I can put in an optibay, larger screen size (albeit more pixelated compared to the high PPI air), Sleep light, and maybe the durability of plastic.

Keep in mind both of these will eventually be sold because I will be buying a top of the line 15" Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro. So which one should I keep or sell? And if the new MBPS are coming out should I just sell both?
Thank you for help on this interesting issue.
:)



mike.coulter
Feb 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
I would sell the Macbook and keep the Air. Hold out until the new MBP's are out.

grawk
Feb 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'd definitely keep the air. If it's an older macbook, the topcase is really easy to replace, so it's an easy repair at least. If it's one of the newer ones, I don't have experience with that.

Being water damaged will definitely impact the resale value of the macbook, but given the awesomeness that the MBA 11" is, I couldn't imagine keeping the macbook over it, especially if you're getting an MBP as well.

kx22
Feb 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
Lol the new macbook pro comes within 2 weeks. Just sell both!

hcho3
Feb 16, 2011, 01:00 PM
Sell the MBP for sure. But, I don't understand why everyone is making a big freaking deal about sandy bridge crap. Core 2 DUO is good enough and yes it's old, but I don't want my 13 MBP with core i3 and intel graphics card. No.

Why buy sandy bridge... Buy ivy bridge. But, then again, why not wait for more?

Sandy Sandy Sandy. You got like 7-8 months and then IVY bridge comes.

axu539
Feb 16, 2011, 01:07 PM
Repair and sell the MacBook. That way, once you get the new MBP, you can use that as your powerhouse and your MBA as your portable machine. The MacBook is both weaker and heavier than the MBA. No reason to keep it around.

molala
Feb 16, 2011, 02:35 PM
Personally, I'd keep the MBA as it is the faster machine. Good luck fixing the MacBook.

Mars478
Feb 16, 2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah I think I will keep the Air. Eventually I will sell both, but for now I'm selling the Macbook and keeping the Air. I was casually using the macbook today and I missed my air SO MUCH. The 11 inch air is the best Apple computer released in recent times.