PDA

View Full Version : Fling Compatability Thread

MicroByte
Feb 16, 2011, 11:45 AM
I received my Fling last night and tested it out on several games. I know that Ten1 has their own compatibility list, but I found a number of gaps and wanted to share my own experiences with those that might be interested in purchasing one.

I'm a bit mixed on the feel of the controller. Some games feel outstanding whereas other's don't feel quite right. It doesn't have the feel of a traditional analog stick and takes some getting used to. I'll update my impressions and findings as I play through more games and get more experience with the controls. For other Fling users, please feel free to reply and add your own impressions and I'll update the main list.

For now though, here are my thought's/findings based on what I was able to play. Games are iPad versions unless the iPhone scaled 2X version is noted:

Aralon - okay, not great but not bad, probably will improve when the iPad UI update comes out
Brothers in Arms HD - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
Dead Space - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
Call of Duty Zombies HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
DOS Pad/iDos - diagonals require you to really force the Fling to its extremities to hit
Dungeon Defenders - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
Dungeon Hunter 2 - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
Galaxy on Fire 2 -works well with a Fling for flying, but I don't recommend it; it is impractical because it can overlay autopilot destinations and you need to remove it to navigate within a space station after docking.
Geometry Wars - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
FIFA 11 - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
Meteor Blitz HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
MiniGore (iPhone) - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
Modern Combat 2 - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
NBA Jam (iPhone) - Controls feel tight and near perfect which was a very nice surprise!
Nova HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect
Pocket Legends - Controls feel tight and near perfect.
Ridge Racer HD - Controls feel tight and near perfect. Control option 3 works best (analog slider). Control option 4 is good, but the dead zone is pretty wide
Sacred Odyssey - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
Shadow Guardian - Cannot properly run without pushing the stick to the extreme edges. Walking is fine and feels responsive, but running does not feel right.
Shinobi III (iPhone) - Controls are fine, but feel a little loose since the game is scaled. The dead zone seems a little too wide.
Spiderman - Conrols feel tight and near perfect.
Sonic 1/2 (iPhone) - Controls are fine, but feel a little loose since the game is scaled. The dead zone seems a little too wide.
Sonic 4 - Left and Right movement is fine, cannot push down to crouch or use spin dash for some reason. Not sure why, it works fine without the Fling attached.
Street Fighter IV - Hard to reach the edges to perform specials. Controls feel a bit too big to play comfortably.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - Control feels good with good response. Specials are a little difficult to pull off, need more time on this to see if practice will make it better.
Zombie Infection - Controls feel tight and near perfect.

MicroByte
Feb 16, 2011, 11:47 AM
*reserved in case I need more room*

Zodiak
Feb 17, 2011, 09:32 AM
I am happy to see another avid Fling user ever since I announced the product! I love mine and use it alot. I have tons of games, unfortunatly I find myself playing the same ones over and over. I shamelessly say that I have more games then I can remember lol.

I will try to go through all of them 1 by 1 and try to add to the list of compatible games.

Keep the good work up! :)

THFourteen
Feb 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
I'm starting to think you work for the company that makes Fling's Zodiak ;)

Anyhoo a few from me

Nova HD - Green tight and perfect
DosPAD / iDOS - Orange - I'd love to say perfect but the diagonals require you to really force the Fling to its extremities to hit
Brothers in Arms HD - Orange - Can't run, cant push the fling far enough

Zodiak
Feb 17, 2011, 11:11 AM
I'm starting to think you work for the company that makes Fling's Zodiak ;)

lol I'm sorry if i sounded like that. I sometimes find products that I think to myself, Wow thats cool! and I then come to post about them here.

As far as functionality. I do wish it did work with certain games but I found that in most cases its not the Fling's fault that it doesn't work with it. In extreme cases I have found that some games require you to have the center of the virtual joystick travel from the center to the very outter edge of the on screen circle to register any movements but some of these where 2x iPhone games.

I will report more compatible games soon! :)

MicroByte
Feb 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies and the additional findings, I've added them to the list.

I bought Ridge Racer HD last night and found that the Fling is AMAZING with Control Option #3. It's an analog slider and everything feels great. I shot a video of the action if you are interested. Oh, if you're a fan of Ridge Racer, the iPad version is great, definitely worth the price. It's the same as the iPhone version, only HD graphics and is better all around on the larger iPad screen. With the Fling, it's even better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvI52TQr0gs

Stefx73
Jun 4, 2011, 03:33 PM
How about Space Miner Ore Bust HD (iPad)
Can anyone comment on the compatibility with the iPad?
Thanks

sotie
Jun 5, 2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks, this is a great thread! I've had a fling for a couple of months now but it mostly goes untouched because I haven't put much effort into figuring out what works and doesn't work with it.

lucyna
Jun 5, 2011, 05:05 AM
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/32909-game-controller-joypad-joystick.html

This is cool.

Stefx73
Jun 5, 2011, 09:48 PM
How about Space Miner Ore Bust HD (iPad)
Can anyone comment on the compatibility with the iPad?
Thanks

Update on Space Miner HD

A single fling on the left works well.
For thrusters and fire button I didn't us one.

I have to relocate the fling every two rounds, but that's not related to the game itself.
After cleaning the iPad with an LCD monitor product and cloth, the fling suction cups seemed to slide slightly less.

edtorious
Mar 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
I thought I would revive this thread now that new iPad is here. Will the new retina display affect the functionality of fling? How is it for you guys that has this for awhile, is it worth it? Any update will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

ikiss
Apr 1, 2012, 06:41 PM
Yup,
I'm interested in how the Fling operates with Retina display.. I'm guessing it'll be even better.

Does it slide much out of position when forced to extreme positions during a game .. and how are the suction cups after a few months.. are they just as sticky. Is there a protective cover for each suction cup.. as I'd presume the cups would get dust in them.. but hey it's sticking to glass so I'm guessing they would be tip top with a little spit on em.. right ?

DashSatan
Apr 1, 2012, 10:35 PM
Just wanted to mention that my roommate was the one who designed the fling. That's all haha

edtorious
Apr 2, 2012, 02:26 PM
I just got it and haven't had the chance to download compatible game apps, I'm waiting for sales or free ones, I'm cheap ass guy :D:o This is my first iPad and I usually don't pay for apps on my iPhone and usually iPhone versions are cheaper than iPad versions so I have to get used to spending more or be careful in spending and make sure it's worth it. :cool: I'll let you know once I get to use this Fling soon.