Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The explosion of rumors that Apple is working on a variety of iPhone designs including smaller ones and iPhones with 4" screens has spawned a significant amount of speculation and mockups about the possibilities.

182826-edgetoedge_500.jpg

In particular, the talk of a 4" screen and rumors of an "edge to edge" screen resulted in this mockup by mjay2k which shows that a 4" screen could fit on an existing iPhone 4 sized device by extending the screen to the left/right edges. Similarly a smaller iPhone could use the existing 3.5 screen in a similar fashion.

182827-APLn97_500.jpg

Another take on the "edge to edge" screen, submitted by a reader. This image tries to look like a "spy" shot, but we believe is just another creative mockup.

182825-iphone4g-mock_500.jpg

Finally, this old design mockup pre-dates the iPhone 4, but shows another take on a large screen format with a reduced prominence of the home button.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Rumors Spawn Mockups

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Getting rid of the bezel area and keeping the screen size the same for the smaller model seems reasonable to me. Shrinking the screen size more than a little bit does not, because they are not going to be rewriting the interface and APIs just to accommodate a smaller iPhone.

ajsnow6234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
There won't be an edge to edge screen. There's always has to be some form of a border...that's my opinion anyway.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
182826-edgetoedge_500.jpg

In particular, the talk of a 4" screen and rumors of an "edge to edge" screen resulted in this mockup by mjay2k which shows that a 4" screen could fit on an existing iPhone 4 sized device by extending the screen to the left/right edges. Similarly a smaller iPhone could use the existing 3.5 screen in a similar fashion.

I'm still undecided on whether I like the looks of the "edge-to-edge" screen. Maybe it's just the nature of mock-ups, or the fact that there's still large "edges" above and below the screen, but it looks a little odd at first.

One thing's for sure, they'd have to redesign the bumper cases (and just about any case that touches the front of the device). :)

What I don't understand, though, is the "iPhone 5 mini", and the part about "similarly a smaller iPhone could use the existing 3.5 screen in a similar fashion". Clearly not, since the current 3.5 screen is not edge-to-edge. And if you're going to be ordering all new screens, why go with 3.5, which is barely "mini" at all? Why not step it down to 3 or even less, to get some actual differentiation (dependent, of course, on how well you can shrink the actual phone hardware). A 2.5-3", 480x320 screen would look pretty good, and wouldn't require any apps to be modified for the device.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As usual the mockups are terrible.

There can't be an edge to edge screen with the current technology. The displays themselves simply aren't that thin at the edges and then there's the problem of fragility. You thought antennagate was bad. Just think about how easy to break that thing would be.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I like the first one of the three with edge to edge but they need to loose the home button as that's ben rumoured to go.
And this is also the ONLY way Apple should be selling a 4" screen. It just simply MUST be the exact same size as the iPhone 4 or smaller. I just cannot accept these bigger phones.

One was launched at MWC with a 4.8" screen!!! Why? 2 more inches and it's tablet size for Gods sake.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
This made me laugh.

one of the worst ever... it looks bloated...
i wouldn't mind a larger screen... sometimes i find myself not wanting to use my iphone cuz the screen is too small when compared to the ipad... i guess it is true that you don't need both

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Last edited by a moderator:

Eitrig

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
>implying apple would realese the iPhone 5 when the iPhone 4 is selling so well and cut into there sales derp.

GUILTIE

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
Is this certainly coming this summer (as certain as we can be)? I still don't think it would be crazy for Apple to wait another year and release the iPhone 5 simultaneously on Verizon and AT&T.

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I don't think a home button on the edge like that would be as ergonomic. Seems like it would rock the whole phone in your hand more. I think they'll leave the button where it is.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I like the first one of the three with edge to edge but they need to loose the home button as that's ben rumoured to go.
And this is also the ONLY way Apple should be selling a 4" screen. It just simply MUST be the exact same size as the iPhone 4 or smaller. I just cannot accept these bigger phones.

One was launched at MWC with a 4.8" screen!!! Why? 2 more inches and it's tablet size for Gods sake.

No home button,no sale.

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
I guess I am the only one who remembers that Apple has a patent for a behind-the-screen camera and there have been rumors that there will be no home button on future iPhones. Therefore, there will be no bezel (aka, no black strips on the top or bottom as shown in the knockups). WHEN Apple decides to do edge-to-edge, it will be done right and there will be no bezel, all screen. You will return to the home screen by pressing and holding as you do on the current 6th Gen nano (or swipe to the left). The camera will be hidden behind the display (it will be another Apple revolution), and the sound when on a call will somehow still come from the area it comes from now, although sight unseen. This will not happen in 2011, but in 2012 or 2013. Just my opinion (which I believe will come to pass as fact ;) )

mjay2k

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
As usual the mockups are terrible.

There can't be an edge to edge screen with the current technology. The displays themselves simply aren't that thin at the edges and then there's the problem of fragility. You thought antennagate was bad. Just think about how easy to break that thing would be.

On my part, these weren't intended to be a mock up of what the incoming iPhone 5 could look like. I simply wanted to illustrate that apple could in fact fit a 4inch screen on the current form factor of their iPhone 4. Also, they could keep the same 3.5 inch screen in a smaller "iPhone Nano." I agree that it just doesn't sit quite right when you simply scale up the screen though. I think that if apple does move to this edge to edge design (which is what the rumors were about!) they will do a whole new look for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.