PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs to Meet with Obama on Thursday

MacRumors
Feb 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/16/steve-jobs-to-meet-with-obama-on-thursday/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/21/183336-obama.jpg

In light of Jobs' medical leave of absence, it is notable that ABC is reporting (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2011/02/steve-jobs-and-eric-schmidt-to-meet-with-president-obama-thursday-in-san-francisco.html) that Steve Jobs will be meeting with President Obama Thursday evening:Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who recently took a medical leave of absence from his company, and Google chief executive Eric Schmidt will be among the attendees of President Obama's event with business leaders in San Francisco Thursday evening, a source familiar with the event tells ABC News.Steve Jobs and Barack Obama have previously met (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/21/barack-obama-and-steve-jobs-meeting-today-to-discuss-economy-and-technology/) to discuss issues related to technology and the economy. Obama is also said to be meeting with Google's Eric Schmidt, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, as well as others.

Article Link: Steve Jobs to Meet with Obama on Thursday (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/16/steve-jobs-to-meet-with-obama-on-thursday/)

sbrhwkp3
Feb 16, 2011, 10:22 PM
I hope he's there, looking healthy as an ox.

Mattsasa
Feb 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
thursday as in tomorrow?

JAT
Feb 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
Meh. Obama probably just wants a white Sprint iPhone.

Mlrollin91
Feb 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
I hope he's there, looking healthy as an ox.

Agreed, hoping that the cancer center rumor stays a rumor and he is feeling better.

*LTD*
Feb 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
If he meets with Steve Jobs there's no need to meet with Eric Schmidt. It's like mixing a Macallan 57 Lalique Single Malt with Coke.

kre62
Feb 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
I dont think those pictures are of him, I think its some random old guy.

ECUpirate44
Feb 16, 2011, 10:30 PM
Good to hear! Staying active has to be a positive.

pundit

Obama loves his Crackberry, but he's not allowed one (the secret service don't allow him to carry any device with a GPS due to security concerns.)

(Edit: he still has a blackberry but its a one-off GPS disabled and encrypted model)

Pink∆Floyd
Obama wants the goodies on the next iPhone :D

But seriously, this will be an interesting meet

icanhazapple
these events are typically planned well in advance.

I doubt ABC has been given any advanced knowledge if Steve will _actually_ meet with Obama tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if anyone will ask Obama if Steve was present for the meetings.

I'm anticipating Obama dodging the question, which would leave me to believe Steve was not present. If he answers that he did meet with Steve, that would be a good sign.

cmaier
Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
But how can that possibly be, considering that most people on here think he's already got one foot in the grave? </sarcasm>

Mr. Gates
Feb 16, 2011, 10:32 PM

That's Racist !............But actually kinda funny.

Like Don Rickles

http://lvol.com/bios/images/e71.jpg

theydonotmove
Feb 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
maybe Obama will get Steve started on that Spielbergian "Minority Report" style future.

Bubba Satori
Feb 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
Do saints bow to each other?

PyroTurtle
Feb 16, 2011, 10:34 PM

There are few things that catch me off guard, this is one of them.

wordoflife
Feb 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
Yay.
I wonder was pres. Obama plans to adress with everyone.
This is probably going to shed some light on the rumors that have been circulating today.

abhimat.gautam
Feb 16, 2011, 10:38 PM

No, they just fistbump.

brock2621
Feb 16, 2011, 10:38 PM
Perfect timing!

Well played Apple... well played :cool:

Yukon Jack
Feb 16, 2011, 10:39 PM
What about Ballmer?

RawBert
Feb 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
My two favorite dictators. :)

Get well soon, Steve. :o

Surely
Feb 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
Well, at least there's no chance for this thread to get ugly.

thirdwaver
Feb 16, 2011, 10:44 PM
"Thank you for coming, Mr. President. Yes, I'm happy to lobby on behalf of your budget. Now about that slash in corporate tax I wanted..."

This is how it's done, folks. This is how the middle class gets screwed every time.

ventro
Feb 16, 2011, 10:45 PM
Headline reads a little weird.

He's "President Obama" not "Obama"

SPEEDwithJJ
Feb 16, 2011, 10:45 PM
I can't help but wonder if President Obama will "secretly" receive the first new MBP 2011 refresh... :eek: And this thought makes me LOL! :D :p

ArchaicRevival
Feb 16, 2011, 10:49 PM
I thought Obama used BB?

pundit
Feb 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
I thought Obama used BB?

Yeah. He always has. The majority of pols on Capitol hill do.

gibbz
Feb 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

What about Ballmer?

I hear he is meeting with John McCain.

stew278
Feb 16, 2011, 10:53 PM
Obviously ties in with the other news of the day here, about Apple wanting not to have to pay 35% taxes on overseas sales/etc. Steve Jobs as a lobbyist in retirement? (hypothetical future)

Juxtaposed to Bill Gates being a philanthropic billionaire in his retirement ... Now that would be laughable.

rockosmodurnlif
Feb 16, 2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/16/apple-lobbying-for-international-tax-amnesty-to-bring-home-profits/ ... and off to meet the President. Cancer can't stop a little lobbying.

Yes Macrumors. Fix that headline.

EazyWeazy3
Feb 16, 2011, 10:56 PM
Not that big of a deal. Obama. President Obama.

All the same imo.

huffboy
Feb 16, 2011, 10:58 PM
Obama will announce that the US government will stop supporting a Canadian company and switch to Iphones. :cool:

MCP-511
Feb 16, 2011, 10:59 PM
Ballmer wants a free iPhone too, any color will do. :D

cmaier
Feb 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
Not that big of a deal. Obama. President Obama.

All the same imo.

This is just another reason why this joint attracts such a lousy crowd.

AppleInsider's headline, by contrast: "Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday"

Zaqfalcon
Feb 16, 2011, 11:02 PM
maybe Obama will get Steve started on that Spielbergian "Minority Report" style future.

Philip K. Dickian surely?

Is there dinner?

labrats5
Feb 16, 2011, 11:03 PM
I hope Steve shows up looking healthy. I really don't care too much about Apple's stock, but Steve Jobs is a national treasure. The world is lucky to have him.

mrtekkid
Feb 16, 2011, 11:08 PM

I'm fine with it just saying Obama thanks.

shaolindave
Feb 16, 2011, 11:09 PM

Not "President" Obama, "Acting President" Obama.

Hal Itosis
Feb 16, 2011, 11:10 PM
"Thank you for coming, Mr. President. Yes, I'm happy to lobby on behalf of your budget. Now about that slash in corporate tax I wanted..."

This is how it's done, folks. This is how the middle class gets screwed every time.
:confused: [citation needed]

In your dreams. ;)

Not "President" Obama, "Acting President" Obama.
Much like you're "acting" turkey, eh?

jimbobb24
Feb 16, 2011, 11:16 PM
I have always wondered why politicians have these types of meetings. Jobs likely has little insight into national problems and and can only lobby for his corporate wishes, and the politician is unlikely to gain any insight. Although Obama may gain more than some since he has never worked in the real world for any time and has no experience in business. I mean I am sure they both want to meet each other and give each other high fives for being on the top of the world, but I don't see it translating into policy that will help the average American.

cmaier
Feb 16, 2011, 11:18 PM
I have always wondered why politicians have these types of meetings. Jobs likely has little insight into national problems and and can only lobby for his corporate wishes, and the politician is unlikely to gain any insight. Although Obama may gain more than some since he has never worked in the real world for any time and has no experience in business. I mean I am sure they both want to meet each other and give each other high fives for being on the top of the world, but I don't see it translating into policy that will help the average American.

Talking to successful people with different areas of knowledge and different life experiences is a good way to learn things.

LordTyroxx
Feb 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
In before the trolls, haters, and complainers! :P (well maybe 2, but anyways- I commend ye, Macrumors, for getting to page two without being filled with insults)

iPhoneCollector
Feb 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
I know it. Apple store in the whitehouse

Les Kern
Feb 16, 2011, 11:28 PM
You know what would be the coolest news of all?
Steve Jobs announces after the meeting that they are going to take a few billion of their 67 billion in cash, build a state of the art plant, and manufacture iPads and MacBooks right here in the USA.
I read an article recently (in Forbes I think), where they calculated that Apple COULD do this and still offer the product at about the same price.

Okay, I've had my dream, now feel free to continue your conversation.

cmaier
Feb 16, 2011, 11:30 PM
I read an article recently (in Forbes I think), where they calculated that Apple COULD do this and still offer the product at about the same price.

That seems quite unlikely. Do you have a link?

MrSmith
Feb 16, 2011, 11:31 PM

Then the other one should be Mr Jobs. Who cares.

scottness
Feb 16, 2011, 11:37 PM
Steve Jobs announces after the meeting that they are going to take a few billion of their 67 billion in cash, build a state of the art plant, and manufacture iPads and MacBooks right here in the USA.

They could, but there would be no profit. Without profit, there is no incentive to develop the next iPad or MacBook.

Thex1138
Feb 16, 2011, 11:39 PM
In Jobs we trust
:rolleyes:

zenio
Feb 16, 2011, 11:40 PM
The level of denial regarding the severity of Jobs health reflects a degree of denial I've never witnessed before.

Yes he may indeed be able to summons the strength to meet with the president, yet this in no way indicates he's fine or about to recover.

It's as though many have never heard of a search engine much less how to use one.

It's simply pathetic.

NeverhadaPC
Feb 16, 2011, 11:43 PM
They could, but there would be no profit. Without profit, there is no incentive to develop the next iPad or MacBook.

The incentive for the next iPad or MacBook is their $$$ salary, no?

Full of Win
Feb 16, 2011, 11:46 PM
The incentive for the next iPad or MacBook is their $$$ salary, no?

Jobs gets 1$ a year as salary. Perhaps they will raise it to a buck fifty? Hey, not too shabby.

mosx
Feb 16, 2011, 11:47 PM

Why wouldn't there be a profit?

It's no secret that Apple generally makes over a 30% margin on all products as it is right now. They could more than afford to pay a US citizen $15 an hour to build a product and still make a good 20% or more margin on the same product.

The problem with Apple is that they put margins before EVERYTHING else. With them its not "how many can we sell" so much as it is "how much money can we make off each individual sale". Hence the reason the original iPad got shafted with no camera and only 256MB of RAM, or while Apple still offers a number of computers that ship with 2GB of RAM and Core 2 Duos.

Goldinboy17
Feb 16, 2011, 11:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's no secret that Apple generally makes over a 30% margin on all products as it is right now. They could more than afford to pay a US citizen $15 an hour to build a product and still make a good 20% or more margin on the same product.

The problem with Apple is that they put margins before EVERYTHING else. With them its not "how many can we sell" so much as it is "how much money can we make off each individual sale". Hence the reason the original iPad got shafted with no camera and only 256MB of RAM, or while Apple still offers a number of computers that ship with 2GB of RAM and Core 2 Duos.

I bet some would prefer Apple over other brands if they started to advertise their products as "Made in USA." Hell if they made the commitment why shouldn't the corporate tax be amended a bit to help them help us.

swingerofbirch
Feb 16, 2011, 11:59 PM
One of the few things I feel I am able to brag about to my Swedish relatives is that we still have some amazing companies like Intel, Apple, Google, and Microsoft in the US, which is great, even if all the hardware is made elsewhere. We're still leading the world in software. I think it's great that the president wants to focus on what is working well and learn from it and apply it to other areas.

ghostlyorb
Feb 17, 2011, 12:03 AM
reminds me of Prison Break.. and "the company". haha

mikeyrogers
Feb 17, 2011, 12:07 AM
Here's a theory. What if it's actually Steve that has called a meeting with Obama, Schmidt and Zuckerberg? Maybe he wants to discuss certain plans in the unlikely case of his death.

cmaier
Feb 17, 2011, 12:10 AM
Here's a theory. What if it's actually Steve that has called a meeting with Obama, Schmidt and Zuckerberg? Maybe he wants to discuss certain plans in the unlikely case of his death.

Huh?

praetorian909
Feb 17, 2011, 12:10 AM
Maybe they (Steve Jobs or Eric Schmidt) can talk President Obama into switching off of Blackberry to an American phone ;)

Full of Win
Feb 17, 2011, 12:11 AM

Doubtful, highly doubtful. Just not on the labor issue, but you have to also factor in health care, benefits, and the occasional multi-million dollar lawsuit and regs (e.g. EPA, OSHA, ect...) that goes into making a factory. In comparison, the Chinese workers now making Apple products are getting a few hundred per month in a region that looks the other way in many cases when it comes to environmental and worker safety issues.

Oh, and the parts (e.g. LCD) that go into it are controlled by IP holders located in Asian countries (e.g. SK, TW, and CN). Do you really think they are going to give those up so easily? Sure, they might do a licensing deal, but at a hefty sum.

How about energy cost and raw materials ? You do know that China is now restricting the export of REM's (Rare Earth Metals) that are needed. While there are there are other sources, its not as cheap and as available as are the REM's in China. And energy cost more in the US, due to our environmental regulations on Power Co's

So, no, I don't think a 10% reduction in margins would cover making the products here in the US.

zenio
Feb 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
In Jobs we trust
:rolleyes:

No flippin way, trusting Jobs is a thing of the past. Long, long ago.

mosx
Feb 17, 2011, 12:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bet some would prefer Apple over other brands if they started to advertise their products as "Made in USA." Hell if they made the commitment why shouldn't the corporate tax be amended a bit to help them help us.

I know I'd actually buy Apple products again if they were "Made in the USA". Absolutely.

Doubtful, highly doubtful. Just not on the labor issue, but you have to also factor in the occasional multi million dollar lawsuit and regs (e.g. EPA, OSHA, ect...) that goes into making a factory. In comparison, the Chinese workers are getting a few hundred month in a region that looks the other way in many cases when it comes to issues.

Oh, and the parts (e.g. LCD) that go into it are controlled by IP holders located in Asian countries (e.g. SK, TW, and CN). Do you really think they are going to give those up so easily? Sure, they might do a licensing deal, but at a hefty sum.

So, no, I don't think a 10% reduction in margins would cover making the products here in the US.

So its best for them to continue using what amounts to slave labor in poor conditions for sake of profit?

If Apple were willing to take their margins down to what other companies and even if it required an extra $50 or so be added to some products price tag, I doubt you'd find any US resident complaining. I know I'd gladly pay extra for a product made here rather than one made in, again, a situation that amounts to slave labor.

karsten
Feb 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
Ballmer wants a free iPhone too, any color will do. :D

preferably in Zune brown.

obama probably just wants the latest scoop on the latest round of apple refreshes, like whether the mbp will have ssd, etc.

zenio
Feb 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
I think it's great that the president wants to focus on what is working well and learn from it and apply it to other areas.
At no time has it been reported that these two power hungry ego maniacs, know how to listen & learn. Surely you jest.

Full of Win
Feb 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
I know I'd actually buy Apple products again if they were "Made in the USA". Absolutely.

So its best for them to continue using what amounts to slave labor in poor conditions for sake of profit?

If Apple were willing to take their margins down to what other companies and even if it required an extra $50 or so be added to some products price tag, I doubt you'd find any US resident complaining. I know I'd gladly pay extra for a product made here rather than one made in, again, a situation that amounts to slave labor.

I made no judgement call, none. You said

My point was that they could not simply make a little less and manufacture their electronics (e.g. iPhone, iPad) here. It sounds good and all, but it neglects the realities of the Chinese labor market verses the United States labor market. In short, a 10% reduction will just not cover the difference in cost. Not by a long shot.

JAT
Feb 17, 2011, 12:34 AM
They could more than afford to pay a US citizen $15 an hour to build a product and still make a good 20% or more margin on the same product.

Please. Companies didn't leave first, employees left first. I worked for a company that had 3 main factory plants, in a high tech industry. One here in MN, one in Mexico, one China. Never visited the other two, but the local one was staffed mainly with recent immigrants, mostly from eastern Asia. Not exactly the "good ol' real American" stuff people like you are reminiscing about, yet have probably never experienced.

And that was 15 years ago when I worked there. Now, the research was here. People here are willing to do that kind of work.

Face it, people here don't want to do this work, not in the numbers it takes to support our high-tech purchasing. It had to leave this country or all this tech wouldn't even exist today. Japan doesn't do this work anymore, either.

H. Flower
Feb 17, 2011, 12:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

The level of denial regarding the severity of Jobs health reflects a degree of denial I've never witnessed before.

Yes he may indeed be able to summons the strength to meet with the president, yet this in no way indicates he's fine or about to recover.

It's as though many have never heard of a search engine much less how to use one.

It's simply pathetic.

Simply pathetic I tell you!

SPEEDwithJJ
Feb 17, 2011, 01:40 AM

I understand what you mean but the thing is that you have to look at the situation strictly from a business point of view. Isn't doing business all about maximizing profits? :confused: If one has the ability to earn more, wouldn't one do so (even when it doesn't really "look that nice" to others? :confused: Who in their right frame of mind would give up the opportunity to earn more if they are able to do so? :confused:

You also have to understand that Apple, just like any other big corporation, is a business, not a "charity" organization. :eek:

tom vilsack
Feb 17, 2011, 01:51 AM
president obama.." pssss steve...biden or hillarys job for the new macbook pro"

CFreymarc
Feb 17, 2011, 01:55 AM

It will pretty much come down to this.

Obama, "Want you all to implement my Big Brother surveillance society."

Jobs, Zuck and company, "You are lame duck at the start of your third year. We grew up fighting your type. ****** off! Thanks for the beer."

Collected
Feb 17, 2011, 02:11 AM

For Steve to attend personally suggests he is well enough to do so and is happy for others outside of Apple to see his state of health with their own eyes. I don't think anyone is suggesting he is fine but it's better than the news item being Jobs had to speak via telephone because he was unable to attend.

Hal Itosis
Feb 17, 2011, 02:11 AM
Obama, "Want you all to implement my Big Brother surveillance society."

Jobs, Zuck and company, "You are lame duck at the start of your third year. We grew up fighting your type. ****** off! Thanks for the beer."

That's almost as fanciful (and illiterate) as this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11909193&postcount=157).

pika2000
Feb 17, 2011, 02:39 AM
Obama needs some extra lunch money?

Winni
Feb 17, 2011, 04:01 AM
I understand what you mean but the thing is that you have to look at the situation strictly from a business point of view. Isn't doing business all about maximizing profits? :confused:

Only in the sick American version of capitalism. There is this thing called social market economy, where social does NOT equal socialism - but that's probably another concept that most Americans fail to grasp.

If one has the ability to earn more, wouldn't one do so (even when it doesn't really "look that nice" to others? :confused: Who in their right frame of mind would give up the opportunity to earn more if they are able to do so? :confused:

People who actually have a long term vision and accept responsibility and are not just driven by pure greed.

Simple scenario: You could earn a couple of million dollars by slicing up a dying company and firing its employees. -- OR -- you could invest a couple of million dollars to safe this company, its employees and their (common) future.

Your logic dictates that a business should be unscrupulous, put any responsibility and ethics aside and go for the quick and easy income. And that train of thought is exactly what made America the soulless, cruel, cold place that it is today. No matter how much Disney-sugar-coating you put on top of it, you can no longer hide the fact that "corporate America" has become inhumane and turned into hell itself. Blind and irresponsible greed - and fear - destroyed what once was a great place to be.

You also have to understand that Apple, just like any other big corporation, is a business, not a "charity" organization. :eek:

Yes, that's why Apple - unlike Microsoft - doesn't do anything for charity.

Microsoft is as brutal as any other corporation when it comes to business, BUT Microsoft also does a lot for education and charities. And no, I am NOT mistaking Microsoft for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - those are two different things, but Microsoft has already done a lot before Bill Gates even thought about starting his Foundation.

Microsoft doesn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. They do this because such investments pave the wave for a better future for everybody which secures the company's own growth on the long run.

Bill Gates also always believed that out-sourcing was an extraordinarily stupid idea and that out-sourcing production and development to foreign countries on the long run only destroys your home country's economy and intellectual resources and capabilities. Because when you outsource development and production to another country, all you do is building up THEIR economy and THEIR infrastructure and THEIR future. By out-sourcing, you're only breeding your future competitors. But it looks great on your short term revenue streams - and greed dictates that you should do this, because, as you've said, businesses are only in this for the money and to increase their revenue.

BornAgainMac
Feb 17, 2011, 05:04 AM

I didn't even think of that. That makes sense.

Azathoth
Feb 17, 2011, 05:30 AM

Well, all the components are made in the Far East, so it would just be "assembled in the USA from foreign and domestic parts".

Or can all the subcontracted parts (LCD, ICs, caps, resistors, PCB (+ processing), plastic molding and metal forming) also be moved to the USA?

Regarding the original story - it's likely to be a PR move. Obama needs some help in the ratings and have some SJ/Apple cool. Apple is about to launch an iPad 2, so it's good to be in the news. SJ health is a concern, so this is a play to show investors that things are still fine with Steve.

oscarmacca
Feb 17, 2011, 05:41 AM
It's like mixing a Macallan 57 Lalique Single Malt with Coke.

Wash your mouth out.:D

Island Dog
Feb 17, 2011, 06:02 AM
Steve should give Obozo a lesson in business.

camelsnot
Feb 17, 2011, 06:05 AM

sure it is. He now looks like a lizard who has been trapped in a garage with no food for a few days. Sorry.. that's what the real media is reporting. - 2011.

Dr Kevorkian94
Feb 17, 2011, 06:07 AM
obviously The president is a member of this site and just cant wait for that new ipad.

greenmeanie
Feb 17, 2011, 06:16 AM
Probably going to ask jobs how he can get away TAXING us for ipads.

paulmoscow
Feb 17, 2011, 06:17 AM
Microsoft doesn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. They do this because such investments pave the wave for a better future for everybody which secures the company's own growth on the long run.
They have learned from crack dealers. The only goal of M$ is to force schools and governments to use their software instead of open source or Apple's options.

atmenterprises
Feb 17, 2011, 06:56 AM
Obama may have just confused Steve Jobs with American jobs. Both are pretty rare.

darkplanets
Feb 17, 2011, 07:06 AM
This is just another reason why this joint attracts such a lousy crowd.

AppleInsider's headline, by contrast: "Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday"

A bit pessimistic, no?

I hardly think stereotyping everyone here as lousy does some people justice.

gnasher729
Feb 17, 2011, 07:17 AM

You are confusing gross margin with profit. The 30% is gross margin. If you are in a shop, with a MacBook for $999 and a credit card, and you think "shall I buy it or shall I not buy it?", then gross margin is the amount that Apple is better off if you make the decision to buy. But that doesn't cover all the development cost.

Say you spend $1 million to develop a product. You build it for $70 (including cost of sales, warranty, and so on) and sell it for $100. And you sell 50,000. Your gross margin is 30%, but your profit is 50,000 x $30 minus one million, or $500,000. If your cost goes up to $80, you still have 20% gross margin, but no profit.

Fluffy Bunny
Feb 17, 2011, 07:36 AM
That meeting better happen quickly (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357743/Cancer-stricken-Apple-boss-Steve-Jobs-just-weeks-live.html)

OllyW
Feb 17, 2011, 07:40 AM
That meeting better happen quickly (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357743/Cancer-stricken-Apple-boss-Steve-Jobs-just-weeks-live.html)

Unconfirmed tittle tattle.

The Daily Mail is only repeating the National Enquirer story.

JAT
Feb 17, 2011, 07:42 AM
A bit pessimistic, no?

True, it doesn't. But that doesn't mean you can't stereotype. Geez, this pansy PC society that has been created by crybaby media frenzy for the last 30 years is embarrassing.

Clown Boy
Feb 17, 2011, 07:47 AM
If the story that National Enquirer has published is indeed true then perhaps Osama and him are discussing what's next for America's biggest company?

rockosmodurnlif
Feb 17, 2011, 07:48 AM
All those IPs are held by Asian countries? I didn't know that.

Island Dog
Feb 17, 2011, 07:49 AM
Simple scenario: You could earn a couple of million dollars by slicing up a dying company and firing its employees. -- OR -- you could invest a couple of million dollars to safe this company, its employees and their (common) future.

Your logic dictates that a business should be unscrupulous, put any responsibility and ethics aside and go for the quick and easy income. And that train of thought is exactly what made America the soulless, cruel, cold place that it is today. No matter how much Disney-sugar-coating you put on top of it, you can no longer hide the fact that "corporate America" has become inhumane and turned into hell itself. Blind and irresponsible greed - and fear - destroyed what once was a great place to be.

Sounds like you attended the Bill Ayers University. The goal of business is to produce profits for its owners, shareholders, etc. which in turn provides jobs and such for people.

Your scenario is as flawed as your logic. Maybe that company you want to "save" is just so horrible that putting millions into it is just a waste. Business isn't pretty sometimes, but your nonsense about the "soulless" America is a joke.

deadkennedy
Feb 17, 2011, 07:57 AM
"Obama is also said to be meeting with Google's Eric Schmidt, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, as well as others. "

Where's Ballmer?

vincenz
Feb 17, 2011, 08:01 AM
Maybe he'll convince Obama to switch from Blackberry to iPhone.

wolfenkraft
Feb 17, 2011, 08:02 AM
Sounds like you attended the Bill Ayers University. The goal of business is to produce profits for its owners, shareholders, etc. which in turn provides jobs and such for people.

Your scenario is as flawed as your logic. Maybe that company you want to "save" is just so horrible that putting millions into it is just a waste. Business isn't pretty sometimes, but your nonsense about the "soulless" America is a joke.

What does Bill Ayers have anything to do with this conversation?

Why is this thread full of people saying "Obozo" and "Bill Ayers" and "OMG he's a socialist fascist I don't even know what I'm saying because words have meanings zomg"

The POTUS is meeting with business leaders from the tech sector. Why is this thread full of rhetoric? Would you rather the President completely ignored them? No matter what President Obama does, certain people on this site will throw in little jabs regardless of the actual story.

guzhogi
Feb 17, 2011, 08:07 AM
If one has the ability to earn more, wouldn't one do so (even when it doesn't really "look that nice" to others? :confused: Who in their right frame of mind would give up the opportunity to earn more if they are able to do so? :confused:

What about priests? Some take vows of poverty. While some could argue religious people aren't in the right frame of mind, so what?

Then you also have teachers and educational support staff, as well. They might be able to find higher paying jobs elsewhere, but like working in schools. I also have a few friends who are lawyers who make tons of money, but hate their jobs. They'd be willing to take pay cuts for jobs that they like better. So to some people, there's more to working than just how much money they make in it.

Sudaddy
Feb 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
Maybe they (Steve Jobs or Eric Schmidt) can talk President Obama into switching off of Blackberry to an American phone ;)

... and joining FaceBook.

applexpanther
Feb 17, 2011, 08:36 AM
probably some discussion on how to further control and monitor the masses.

G4er?
Feb 17, 2011, 08:40 AM
Maybe Obama can convince Steve to build the xMac so many of us want.

ten-oak-druid
Feb 17, 2011, 08:42 AM
Its a gathering for an intervention to stop Lance Armstrong from retiring. They will convince him to keep injecting and keep pedaling for his country.

bmturney
Feb 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
You can almost certainly bet he WON'T be threatening these guys with a Windfall Profit Tax like he did big oil a few years ago... maybe because they are big Dem donors?

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 08:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

If apple wishes to continue to be successful, they don't need the government getting in their business, particuliarly this administration. Look at how tainted GM has been.

bretm
Feb 17, 2011, 08:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh, crap. Steve, whatever you do, DO NOT lend this guy any money!

BC2009
Feb 17, 2011, 08:54 AM

I would say that a tax exemption of 35% on foreign holdings would be about the only thing that might make it profitable in the short term to move iPad production to the USA -- but then you do have to ship all those parts from China anyway.

Steve should give Obozo a lesson in business.

I think you mean President Obozo. :)

Seriously folks, I would encourage folks to do the patriotic thing and show respect for the office of the president -- sometimes that's as simple as using the title "President" before his name. I've said the same thing with prior presidents of the US (Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, etc...) -- the president should show respect for the office and the people should show respect for the president and then we should just agree to have differing political views. The current level of contention in US politics is tough to endure on a daily basis because of this lack of respect. The lack of respect got really bad in the last 10 years with the way people referred to President Bush. And for the record, I believe that both President Clinton and President Nixon failed to show respect for the office of President at times during their terms.

That said, enjoy using your free speech -- it is why you have it in the USA. Feel free to ignore my "encouragement".

Feb 17, 2011, 09:05 AM
What about Ballmer?

What has Ballmer done? He took over from Bill Gates and has done nothing to improve the company. President Obama probably want to meet with people that have a great vision and know how to run a successful company.

PeterQVenkman
Feb 17, 2011, 09:05 AM
Perhaps to find out how those companies are profitable?

arkitect
Feb 17, 2011, 09:06 AM
What about Ballmer?
Errmm… Obama and Ballmer already had their meeting.
And *gasp* not just one president, but two.

Linky (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/10/AR2010121006226.html)… oh, and here (http://blogs.forbes.com/brianwingfield/2011/01/19/dealmaking-announced-at-u-s-china-summit/)

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 09:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

He is just meeting with them to secure more reelection funds. Don't be fooled its not about jobs its always about Obama. Nothing more.

guzhogi
Feb 17, 2011, 09:12 AM
Seriously folks, I would encourage folks to do the patriotic thing and show respect for the office of the president -- sometimes that's as simple as using the title "President" before his name. I've said the same thing with prior presidents of the US (Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, etc...) -- the president should show respect for the office and the people should show respect for the president and then we should just agree to have differing political views. The current level of contention in US politics is tough to endure on a daily basis because of this lack of respect. The lack of respect got really bad in the last 10 years with the way people referred to President Bush. And for the record, I believe that both President Clinton and President Nixon failed to show respect for the office of President at times during their terms.

I agree, respect goes a long way, even if you disagree with that person.

snakelda
Feb 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Hope he gets better.

lincolntran
Feb 17, 2011, 09:24 AM

Jobs won't be the one bowing!

To you maybe. How many candles a day?

obama probably just wants the latest scoop on the latest round of apple refreshes, like whether the mbp will have ssd, etc.

I agree. :D

What's Steve expecting Obama to do? Lay hands on him and heal of his cancer?

Probably so. :D

Nikonian
Feb 17, 2011, 09:33 AM

What he said. Regardless of whether you agree with the man, he rightfully earned that title.

Someone please photoshop McCain in with Ballmer.

Be back later, this college student needs to go use my parents insurance to get the expensive medicine I need to live. :D

notabadname
Feb 17, 2011, 09:43 AM
Obama loves his Crackberry, but he's not allowed one (the secret service don't allow him to carry any device with a GPS due to security concerns.)

(Edit: he still has a blackberry but its a one-off GPS disabled and encrypted model)

Huh? You could triangulate his position with the Cell signal anyway. As if they couldn't figure out how to block location services on an iPhone or disable it's GPS

cmaier
Feb 17, 2011, 09:46 AM
A bit pessimistic, no?

Re-read what I said. The fact that there's a "lousy crowd" here doesn't mean "everyone here is lousy."

And there certainly is a lousy crowd here. In the last two days alone there have been multiple posts wishing Steve Jobs dead so they can finally get USB3 ports or a mid-sized tower Mac, posts from people complaining they didn't get sufficient credit for their own brilliant and insightful posts ("it is intelligent! really!"), people declaring that since they don't need a particular feature no one else has a legitimate need for it, etc.

OllyW
Feb 17, 2011, 09:52 AM
I am not from United States and I keep hearing from you folks how Obama "ruined" or "punished" successful companies. Can you give me some specific scenarios and examples? From what I understand, the economic mess was because of the Republican attitude for de-regulation that led to the housing crisis which affected the banks for their regulation free sub-prime lending and that destabilized the economy, not just in United States, but the entire world. This has been going on for quite a while before Obama was elected. Can someone explain to me how Obama ruins the companies? Give me examples and specifics to back up your claims.

Apple's Q1 financial results on 21st January 2009, the day after Obama took office...

Apple today announced financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2009. Apple posted record revenue of $10.17 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.61 billion, or $1.78 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $9.6 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.58 billion, or $1.76 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 34.7 percent, equal to the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter's revenue. Apple also generated $3.6 billion in cash during the quarter. The results constitute the best quarterly revenue and earnings in Apple's history.

Apples Q1 financial results on 18th January 2011, 2 years into his Presidency...

Apple today announced financial results for its first fiscal quarter of 2011, corresponding to the fourth calendar quarter of 2010. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $26.74 billion and net quarterly profit of $6 billion, or $6.43 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $15.68 billion and net quarterly profit of $3.38 billion, or $3.67 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 38.5 percent, compared to 40.9 percent in the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 62 percent of the quarter's revenue. Apple's quarterly profit and revenue were both company records.

He's ruined them. ;)

karsten
Feb 17, 2011, 09:58 AM
president obama.." pssss steve...biden or hillarys job for the new macbook pro"

Recently, Boehner said that he believes Obama is a citizen. Now, are you also doubting his authenticity? If you are, then you surely are a paranoid individual. If you are not, then time to rethink your position about certain facts.

Now moving to real debate about what they are going to talk about, my prediction is President Obama just wants to lay his hands on the new iPad2 for the first lady. And may be on the white iPhone for the White House too. Time to use an American phone and ditch that BlackBerry!

i dont know why they even debate this, he'll be out of office in a year anyway.

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 10:01 AM
I don't even get the candles a day reference. .

I assume they mean how many candles you light on your Obama Shrine.

Sudaddy
Feb 17, 2011, 10:02 AM
I assume they mean how many candles you light on your Obama Shrine.

Do LED candles count?

doctor-don
Feb 17, 2011, 10:04 AM

I don't know why people believe what they hear from the shills who recently met in the GOP PAC to test the waters for becoming a presidential candidate.

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 10:11 AM
You can almost certainly bet he WON'T be threatening these guys with a Windfall Profit Tax like he did big oil a few years ago... maybe because they are big Dem donors?

Good point, GE is money hole, and Al Gore sits on Apples Board of Directors.

Mattie Num Nums
Feb 17, 2011, 10:14 AM

This is what REALLY bothers me. I see a huge conflict of interest going on. People will say "Oh the republicans do it all the time blah blah." I get it. With this particular topic and the timing of it all, this bothers me.

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 10:21 AM
What concerns me the most right now is the recent July 2010 “Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act” which a Senate committee approved recently. The act would establish a White House Office for Cyberspace Policy and a National Center for Cyber Security and Communications, which would work with private US companies to create cyber-security requirements for the electrical grid, telecommunications networks and other critical infrastructure. The bill looks like the beginning of an Internet “kill switch.” As Egypt recently hit their kill switch to shut down the Internet during the protests last week, it makes me wonder if this administration would ever do the same.

Mattie Num Nums
Feb 17, 2011, 10:21 AM
Maybe he doesn't, but I agree with him.

Talk politics in the politics section.

Unfortunately, this topic is going to be political.

What concerns me the most right now is the recent July 2010 “Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act” which a Senate committee approved recently. The act would establish a White House Office for Cyberspace Policy and a National Center for Cyber Security and Communications, which would work with private US companies to create cyber-security requirements for the electrical grid, telecommunications networks and other critical infrastructure. The bill looks like the beginning of an Internet “kill switch.” As Egypt recently hit their kill switch to shut down the Internet during the protests last week, it makes me wonder if this administration would ever do the same.

An internet kill switch in the US would be much harder than in somewhere like Iran or Eqypt.

Sudaddy
Feb 17, 2011, 10:26 AM

Not necessarily - it could also mean that we are working on a system such that Stuxnet doesn't happen to our facilities in America. Have you also forgotten the fact that many American companies' servers, including Google and Adobe were hacked by a sophisticated attacked by Chinese Government hackers back in early 2010? Keeping these in mind, we definitely need a security assessment for our infrastructure. Not every thing needs to look suspicious or some form of Government take over.

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
Not necessarily - it could also mean that we are working on a system such that Stuxnet doesn't happen to our facilities in America. Have you also forgotten the fact that many American companies' servers, including Google and Adobe were hacked by a sophisticated attacked by Chinese Government hackers back in early 2010? Keeping these in mind, we definitely need a security assessment for our infrastructure. Not every thing needs to look suspicious or some form of Government take over.

I agree with you and I hope the topic of cyber attack and cyber defense comes up.. But where is Steve Ballmer then?

Mattie Num Nums
Feb 17, 2011, 10:35 AM
I agree with you and I hope the topic of cyber attack and cyber defense comes up.. But where is Steve Ballmer then?

I personally wouldn't let Ballmer anywhere near Obama. If Obama really wants to talk tech I'd throw Gates in the convo. Hes done more with tech recently than just selling software. As much as people want to hate Gates his recently work has been amazing.

Mattie Num Nums
Feb 17, 2011, 10:42 AM
Obama is a smart man. So is Jobs. The issue I see with both is they both have very selfish agendas. That doesn't mean they will try and push each but I would really love to see Gates at least in the convo. Technology is more than just Green Energy and Cool gadgets... philanthropy is something that needs to be looking into.

pmz
Feb 17, 2011, 10:53 AM

That said, enjoy using your free speech -- it is why you have it in the USA. Feel free to ignore my "encouragement".

Oh for crying out loud, pick up a damn book. These people are arch criminals. Doesn't anybody read anymore? CNN.com headlines don't count.

Feb 17, 2011, 11:13 AM

Are you also willing to pay a much much higher price for it?

most people always want 'made in the USA' but are not realizing how much more expensive it would be to produce and assemble everything in the USA and probably wouldn't buy the product if they see the price tag caused by 'made in the USA'.

Sudaddy
Feb 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
What are the chances that Steve Jobs will show up in the meeting? Or will he send Tim Cook as a replacement?

Also, can Mark Zuckerburg post on his status update about Steve Jobs' (if he shows up) current health condition and may be post a picture too? Please??

What surprises me that over the span of 7 pages, no one has predicted that may be these guys just want to meet up and watch Entourage together... Shame on you guys. So much for Mac"Rumors".

farmboy
Feb 17, 2011, 11:31 AM

Hey, it's a headline, as in very brief indication of the accompanying story. Space is limited, titles almost always deleted, especially in the US. Not a sign of disrespect.

cmaier
Feb 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hey, it's a headline, as in very brief indication of the accompanying story. Space is limited, titles almost always deleted, especially in the US. Not a sign of disrespect.

Appleinsider.com managed to fit it into the headline.

farmboy
Feb 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Appleinsider.com managed to fit it into the headline.

C, maybe you're being too sensitive. Surely you've noticed that newspapers, for instance, always use the president's last name ONLY...Ike, JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, even "W"? Not a big deal. It's always followed by body copy that states "President...." Some of the other posts here, however, show a shocking disrespect for education and reading outside of a narrowly defined political perspective, much less the President.

Blue Velvet
Feb 17, 2011, 12:20 PM
Even though this is being billed as some kind of industry meeting, because it's a private dinner rather than anything involving the press or photo opportunities, I would wager that it has more to do with schmoozing and fundraising. The Obama re-election campaign has set an informal but oft-stated target of raising one billion dollars for the 2012 election. Corporate and wealthy private donors are crucial for both parties and Wall Street isn't as welcoming this time around.

About Obama's Blackberry, it's an NSA-approved and modified device. I'm guessing the NSA doesn't have the right screwdrivers (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1083255) for an iPhone. ;)

Surely
Feb 17, 2011, 12:24 PM

So why not go with "Jobs to Meet with Obama on Thursday"?

jive turkey
Feb 17, 2011, 12:26 PM
This is wonderful news. One tug on the Messiah's coat jacket and Steve will be back to 100% health. :p

Rot'nApple
Feb 17, 2011, 12:31 PM
Anyone know if the meeting has happened and if so, any WH issued photo? Just to see that Steve is doing better than some rumored and grainy National Enquirer photos and stories?...

ten-oak-druid
Feb 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
This is wonderful news. One tug on the Messiah's coat jacket and Steve will be back to 100% health. :p

The republicans love to call Obama the "messiah". They are the religious right after all so they would know. Oh the irony when they actually believe a sky spook plays a part in selecting leaders when it goes their way.

b.c.
Feb 17, 2011, 12:35 PM
over on The Oatmeal:

"What I think Obama is meeting with Jobs, Schmidt, and Zuckerberg about"
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/obama_meeting

:)

labradoor
Feb 17, 2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for trying, Chirpie. :(

What I had originally come on here to post about was not the L-word but the C-word. As someone who was diagnosed with stage-4 cancer back in march of 2003 - metastasized to the lymph nodes and liver, i.e., "terminal" and "incurable" according to all available research at the time - I just wanted to put the idea of steve visiting a cancer center into perspective.

When you have potentially/likely fatal cancer, doctors prescribe treatments, surgeries and medicines that they would never prescribe for a "healthy" person because of the often serious side-effects and other consequences. As a result, the against-the-odds survivor is likely to have ongoing medical issues that an oncologist is far more prepared to treat than just a general practitioner. I am cancer free since January of '05 but i still see my oncologist every six months. And still experience some issues related to the treatment that saved my life.

Here's hoping that Steve's experience is working out similar to mine.

Rot'nApple
Feb 17, 2011, 12:47 PM

Maybe MR is just showing the same respect the White House Press Corp showed President Bush (http://patrickgavin.net/?p=55), when they just slouched in their chairs when he entered the briefing room, versus, the "snap to" movement often seen when the likes of a Comrade Stalin or Chairman Mao enter a room... :eek:

But according to Obama, we all know who he is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6zu8D05ECY)... :D

Notice how he says, "Was that my uh"... No it was not yours, it's the President's Seal.

This is your's (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iPXpgDYx1ws/SOp-08ZnldI/AAAAAAAAAmU/0yPvNJhwDYM/s400/1+obama+seal.gif)... :rolleyes:
:apple:

Full of Win
Feb 17, 2011, 12:57 PM
All those IPs are held by Asian countries? I didn't know that.

Many of them are. For example, Samsung owns a massive number of patents. Not saying that all are owned by companies in Asian countries, but many are.

thirdwaver
Feb 17, 2011, 01:02 PM

I really like your dream. It would payoff dividends for Apple that far exceed simple math. Their good will department has been fired apparently. I say that as a loyal Apple supporter since the mid 80's, mkay? Steve is turning Apple into everything we ALL (including Steve) hated about Microsoft. I simply can't defend the company's actions any longer and I won't. They make great products but their increasing greed and control over content on those products is sickening. I'm actually starting to look at my iPhone differently and getting pretty concerned about Lion and the Mac App Store.

thirdwaver
Feb 17, 2011, 01:14 PM
:confused: [citation needed]

You want a citation for what? That President Obama is meeting with silicon valley leaders to get support for his budget? Ok here (http://vator.tv/news/2011-02-17-obama-to-meet-with-silicon-valley-leaders)

Or do you want a citation for the "this is how it's done" part? You don't think that a majority of politics is handled via back room meetings and conversations on the golf course? You don't think Steve is going to put in a plug for his request to have Apple's corporate taxes reduced to 5% so they can bring billions of overseas dollars back into the states on the cheap? I pay 35% income tax and I'm trying to save my damned house right now, but a company that has one of the largest cash surpluses of any company in America can't pay their fair share? In a fiscal crisis? Please.

Sorry for being "ugly". I'm not enjoying all the bubbles Apple's been popping for me lately.

CFreymarc
Feb 17, 2011, 01:18 PM
That's almost as fanciful (and illiterate) as this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11909193&postcount=157).

I have found my brainwashed whipping boy. Let the games begin!

"What the fool cannot learn, he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of a latent idiocy." - Marie Corelli

markintosh
Feb 17, 2011, 01:20 PM

Steve will let you know if he ever meets another saint :)

Evangelion
Feb 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Jobs won't be the one bowing!

To you maybe. How many candles a day?

I agree. :D

What's Steve expecting Obama to do? Lay hands on him and heal of his cancer?

Probably so. :D

It's a good thing Jobs is meeting Obama and not Bush. Bush would probably try to slip him some tongue, like he did with the Saudis...

Mattie Num Nums
Feb 17, 2011, 01:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a good thing Jobs is meeting Obama and not Bush. Bush would probably try to slip him some tongue, like he did with the Saudis...

Pretty classless comment.

nickvisic
Feb 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
hey steve, while you're at it, ask obama why he's still hiding his birth certificate. or, maybe obama is looking for app for that.

Mattie Num Nums
Feb 17, 2011, 02:02 PM
hey steve, while you're at it, ask obama why he's still hiding his birth certificate. or, maybe obama is looking for app for that.

We've already beat that dead horse.

I'd really like to see Steve talk to Obamarama about some tech standards.

Lynxpro
Feb 17, 2011, 02:07 PM
Please. Companies didn't leave first, employees left first. I worked for a company that had 3 main factory plants, in a high tech industry. One here in MN, one in Mexico, one China. Never visited the other two, but the local one was staffed mainly with recent immigrants, mostly from eastern Asia. Not exactly the "good ol' real American" stuff people like you are reminiscing about, yet have probably never experienced.

And that was 15 years ago when I worked there. Now, the research was here. People here are willing to do that kind of work.

Face it, people here don't want to do this work, not in the numbers it takes to support our high-tech purchasing. It had to leave this country or all this tech wouldn't even exist today. Japan doesn't do this work anymore, either.

You really think no Americans want to work in manufacturing? Tell that to all the former auto workers in Detroit. Tell that to the laid off employees of the former PackardBellNEC plant here in Sacramento or the various people in nearby Folsom and Roseville that have been laid off over the years by Intel and NEC. Or go back to 1984 and tell all the former Atari employees who got laid off when Jack Tramiel sent all the manufacturing jobs over to Taiwan and elsewhere.

The reports are that it would increase the cost of an iPhone anywhere between 10%-20% to have them assembled here in the US. I'd gladly pay that. Furthermore, it boggles my mind that so many businesses and government agencies are so comfortable with purchasing Lenovo computer products when the company is owned by China's People's Liberation Army...

Only in the sick American version of capitalism.
Microsoft is as brutal as any other corporation when it comes to business, BUT Microsoft also does a lot for education and charities. And no, I am NOT mistaking Microsoft for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - those are two different things, but Microsoft has already done a lot before Bill Gates even thought about starting his Foundation.

Was that meant to be a joke? Microsoft does nothing for charity. "Donating" licenses for Windows and Office do not count as properly donating to charities and schools. Especially since Microsoft is so well known to sue charities and schools who use donated computers yet failed to send Microsoft cash for use of the operating system and other software that came along with those donated computers because Microsoft views that as "piracy".

Maybe Microsoft should focus on paying all the taxes they've shirked from Washington State that has been going on for close to 2 decades now if they want to be serious about their social commitments. The same goes for all of their European tax evasion by sending all their monies through their Irish subsidiary.

Bill Gates also always believed that out-sourcing was an extraordinarily stupid idea and that out-sourcing production and development to foreign countries on the long run only destroys your home country's economy and intellectual resources and capabilities. Because when you outsource development and production to another country, all you do is building up THEIR economy and THEIR infrastructure and THEIR future. By out-sourcing, you're only breeding your future competitors. But it looks great on your short term revenue streams - and greed dictates that you should do this, because, as you've said, businesses are only in this for the money and to increase their revenue.

Are you referring to the same Bill Gates who always lobbies hard for the H1B program that imports foreign software developers so Microsoft doesn't have to pay them equivalent salaries and bennies like true blue Americans? Great example there.

GE will own General Motors within 5 years.

Just imagine what China could do if they merely took a few million of their citizens and made them computer hackers...

Obama is a smart man. So is Jobs. The issue I see with both is they both have very selfish agendas. That doesn't mean they will try and push each but I would really love to see Gates at least in the convo. Technology is more than just Green Energy and Cool gadgets... philanthropy is something that needs to be looking into.

I'd rather Obama give Nolan Bushnell the same type of medal George W gave to Ralph Baer.

Even though this is being billed as some kind of industry meeting, because it's a private dinner rather than anything involving the press or photo opportunities, I would wager that it has more to do with schmoozing and fundraising. The Obama re-election campaign has set an informal but oft-stated target of raising one billion dollars for the 2012 election. Corporate and wealthy private donors are crucial for both parties and Wall Street isn't as welcoming this time around.

A monarch would be a cheaper alternative to an elected figurehead that we have to replace every 4 to 8 years at great expense and the angering of 50% of the country.

As opposed to Obama who will bow to any tin pot 3rd world dictator he meets. Of course, he won't show the same respect to Queen Elizabeth because he's apparently still ******** over what the British allegedly/speculatively did to his paternal grandfather.

The thing that bugs me about this is McCain was fully open with all of his records [unlike Obama]. Hell, Congress even had its own investigation into whether or not McCain could even qualify to be POTUS because of where he was born...

Mattie Num Nums
Feb 17, 2011, 02:16 PM
You really think no Americans want to work in manufacturing? Tell that to all the former auto workers in Detroit. Tell that to the laid off employees of the former PackardBellNEC plant here in Sacramento or the various people in nearby Folsom and Roseville that have been laid off over the years by Intel and NEC. Or go back to 1984 and tell all the former Atari employees who got laid off when Jack Tramiel sent all the manufacturing jobs over to Taiwan and elsewhere.

The problem isn't Americans wanting to work, its the demands of the Unions.

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Wonder how much this trip will cost the taxpayers. As he is meeting with three of the most influential technology leaders - one would think secure videoconferencing could be used. Isn't that what you granola crunchers preach - save energy, stop pollution...... :confused:

HMFIC03
Feb 17, 2011, 03:12 PM
When did bowing to foreign leader become unamerican? It's a different culture dude. Everywhere isn't like america where you wave your hand and give a quick howdie-do. I know in my taekwondo class, we bow to the instructor, the korean flag, and the american flag. It shows respect. Not that Fox News knows anything about that. If I was a president, I would apologize for our country too. Americans that are muslim are getting treated like the plague. (though america has improved since the WWII japanese "camps")

First it looks weak. Someone who is in an inferior position will address the person in a superior position with a bow while the person in the superior position may will not bow at all. Exactly what he hid to Hu Jintao.

Gomff
Feb 17, 2011, 06:12 PM

I agree, Microsoft and the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation have done a lot for charity and the third world, particularly Africa. Although sometimes it seems like the kids saved from Malaria and Malnutrition just get recruited into militant and radical anti Western groups, it is at it's heart commendable.

The bit about Outsourcing is totally, totally wrong though. I know for a fact that huge amounts of Microsoft code is outsourced to India, and most likely other countries besides.

I agree with the main thrust of your argument though. The reason why China is becoming the second largest global economic force is because of the amount of manufacturing and export it is responsible for. Manufacturing and factory work have become dirty words in the West, where we assume that we can keep ahead of Eastern economies with technological design, blogging and Starbucks but it's a burning platform, especially when your competitors have little respect for copyright or patents. Manufacture and export of real products at competitive prices is the real arbiter of a strong economy and many Western economies have been coasting for a while now.

We need to get back to manufacturing more products in the West again. Part of this involves consumers & businesses understanding the true cost of manufacture, both social and economic so as to make it sustainable. The race to the lowest possible price and highest profit margin if measured in purely financial terms is a race down the road to hell.

nptski
Feb 17, 2011, 06:22 PM
The President occupies the office of President and is always referred to as Mr. The founders were very sensitive regarding this as the English were so into titles that referred to social rank.

IBradMac
Feb 17, 2011, 06:49 PM

When i first opened it I was reading it with one eye open. Lol..

LordTyroxx
Feb 17, 2011, 08:24 PM
Either there's a ghost eating my posts, or biased mods here.

Why not delete every bit of the argument instead of just the liberal side? I understand the need for moderation on here, but trolls need moderating more than debaters. There wasn't a flame war going on. Nothing was too serious. If mods start deleting every point I post, I'll be on my way to a better mac site. (there are plenty out there)

I know you could probably use the excuse, "my content wasn't relevant to the topic" and I know that. But neither are other people's posts that are still here. Please send me a PM explaining this to me since i have no idea who's deleting everything. I don't understand how anyone gets to be a mod from being so passive aggressive towards someone with differing opinions than himself.

Or maybe NewsCorp bought out macrumors? :P

Pilgrim1099
Feb 17, 2011, 08:37 PM

Why not delete every bit of the argument instead of just the liberal side? I understand the need for moderation on here, but trolls need moderating more than debaters. There wasn't a flame war going on. Nothing was too serious. If mods start deleting every point I post, I'll be on my way to a better mac site. (there are plenty out there)

I know you could probably use the excuse, "my content wasn't relevant to the topic" and I know that. But neither are other people's posts that are still here. Please send me a PM explaining this to me since i have no idea who's deleting everything. I don't understand how anyone gets to be a mod from being so passive aggressive towards someone with differing opinions than himself.

We have a mole here who's playing 'god mod' here, favoring the Apple fanboys. Somebody's afraid of a little controversy, I think as I was trying to correct one poster here in relation to a Minority Report mention.

LordTyroxx
Feb 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
We have a mole here who's playing 'god mod' here, favoring the Apple fanboys. Somebody's afraid of a little controversy, I think as I was trying to correct one poster here in relation to a Minority Report mention.

yeah man. I feel you. I mean, it's kinda ridiculous for mods to do stuff like that (be it favoring apple fanboy supremacy or not). I'm a mod on another website and I never delete stuff without letting the person know why (if it wasn't just a spam post).

Like I said in a previous topic, if everyone agreed on everything, there would be no purpose for a message board to exist on the internet.

cmaier
Feb 17, 2011, 08:49 PM
yeah man. I feel you. I mean, it's kinda ridiculous for mods to do stuff like that (be it favoring apple fanboy supremacy or not). I'm a mod on another website and I never delete stuff without letting the person know why (if it wasn't just a spam post).

Like I said in a previous topic, if everyone agreed on everything, there would be no purpose for a message board to exist on the internet.

Wow. Talk about politically-biased editing.

CFreymarc
Feb 17, 2011, 08:57 PM
Obama needs some extra lunch money?

If he needed lunch money, he'd have some union thugs shake someone down for it. Most of them are in Wisconsin now but even they are not able to change a few million people waking up and refusing to take gov't aide.

evsmotors
Feb 17, 2011, 08:57 PM
Did the meet happen?

zenio
Feb 17, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks to the highly polarizing and entertaining characters (Apple, Jobs, et al) this is quite a humorous thread.

vipergts2207
Feb 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
either there's a ghost eating my posts, or biased mods here.

Why not delete every bit of the argument instead of just the liberal side? I understand the need for moderation on here, but trolls need moderating more than debaters. There wasn't a flame war going on. Nothing was too serious. If mods start deleting every point i post, i'll be on my way to a better mac site. (there are plenty out there)

i know you could probably use the excuse, "my content wasn't relevant to the topic" and i know that. But neither are other people's posts that are still here. Please send me a pm explaining this to me since i have no idea who's deleting everything. I don't understand how anyone gets to be a mod from being so passive aggressive towards someone with differing opinions than himself.

Or maybe newscorp bought out macrumors? :p

qft

FranksWildYears
Feb 17, 2011, 09:53 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZE2ldpQtjnI/S2nq1SyY_UI/AAAAAAAAB9Y/2pAU_n2Yesw/s320/7202_NixonBowToMao1.JPG

http://www.godammit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/bush-bow.jpg

http://liberalvalues.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/bush-bowed.jpg

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/20091116-fncbow2.jpg

No pictures of Reagan bowing to QE2, but it certainly happened. ;)

iMikeT
Feb 17, 2011, 10:32 PM
Looks like Steve was present after all. Article from the AP (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA?SITE=WABEL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-02-17-23-10-50).

AidenShaw
Feb 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
Looks like Steve was present after all. Article from the AP (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA?SITE=WABEL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-02-17-23-10-50).

But he's now too thin to be photographed by actual cameras, so you won't see any pics.

iMikeT
Feb 17, 2011, 10:59 PM
Another article from Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/18/us-obama-meeting-jobs-idUSTRE71G3JH20110218).

But he's now too thin to be photographed by actual cameras, so you won't see any pics.

No press was allowed. If you read either article, the meeting took place at a private residence to begin with.

Hal Itosis
Feb 18, 2011, 12:53 AM
I have found my brainwashed whipping boy. Let the games begin!

"What the fool cannot learn, he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of a latent idiocy." - Marie Corelli

No soap... radio.

Hal Itosis
Feb 18, 2011, 01:07 AM
Or do you want a citation for the "this is how it's done" part? You don't think that a majority of politics is handled via back room meetings and conversations on the golf course? You don't think Steve is going to put in a plug for his request to have Apple's corporate taxes reduced to 5% so they can bring billions of overseas dollars back into the states on the cheap?
It wasn't about what "i think". You made the claim; i merely asked for some corroboration that such events will actually take place in this case [from a source other than you.]

I pay 35% income tax and I'm trying to save my damned house right now, but a company that has one of the largest cash surpluses of any company in America can't pay their fair share? In a fiscal crisis? Please.

Sorry for being "ugly". I'm not enjoying all the bubbles Apple's been popping for me lately.
Apple is popping bubbles for you? :confused: [citation and clarification needed]

Evangelion
Feb 18, 2011, 01:24 AM
As opposed to Obama who will bow to any tin pot 3rd world dictator he meets.

http://www.straightblastgym.com/blog/uploaded_images/bush_kiss-761118.jpg

zirconiawoods
Feb 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
Wil Obama bring his BlackBerry during the meeting?

Full of Win
Feb 18, 2011, 01:33 AM
http://www.straightblastgym.com/blog/uploaded_images/bush_kiss-761118.jpg

Your photoshop is pretty sad. If you are going to post a photoshopped picture, please post one that is so obviously not a fake.

The white lines around the Kings beard is soooooo..... lame.

nofunsir
Feb 18, 2011, 02:01 AM
Barry saw this, and he want's to talk.

http://www.prompterpeople.eu/img/IPAD-2.jpg

Evangelion
Feb 18, 2011, 02:38 AM
Your photoshop is pretty sad. If you are going to post a photoshopped picture, please post one that is so obviously not a fake.

http://www.gregpalast.com/wp-content/uploads/bushtheking.jpg

http://www.insidesocal.com/friendlyfire/w%20Saudi%20kiss.jpg

http://www.pafundi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/bush-kiss.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3znw6hHmP9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x99nt-LbNFM

CFreymarc
Feb 18, 2011, 02:48 AM
No soap... radio.

No Coke, Pepsi.

No Pepsi, Coke.

scottness
Feb 18, 2011, 04:55 AM

Isn't slave labor where the master has a right to kill you if you try to quit?

Hal Itosis
Feb 18, 2011, 07:51 AM

How can you possibly live in the USA, and wave that "don't tread on me" banner, and wear the sigs you have worn... and yet be so out of touch? Do you only watch Faux News Fraudcast or what???

No Coke, Pepsi.

No Pepsi, Coke.

Monkey see; monkey do.

Evangelion
Feb 18, 2011, 08:05 AM
How can you possibly live in the USA, and wave that "don't tread on me" banner, and wear the sigs you have worn... and yet be so out of touch?

You just answered your own question right there :).

Slurpy2k8
Feb 18, 2011, 08:26 AM

No he won't. Who will he be ousted by, Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney? Don't make me laugh, until the republicans get their **** together and stop being a mob of clowns (not gonna happen anytime soon) none of them are a threat to Obama.

sicmac
Feb 18, 2011, 09:24 AM
Who knows if the meeting happened ?

Any photos ?

duk
Feb 18, 2011, 10:04 AM
Who knows if the meeting happened ?

Any photos ?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5258/5455525432_13440e52f8_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5251/5454952553_c3464090aa_z.jpg

ucdortbes
Feb 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
He is there and he looks nowhere near like the guy on the tabloid.

AaronEdwards
Feb 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
He is there and he looks nowhere near like the guy on the tabloid.

I would need to see more photos before drawing that conclusion. Either from the Cancer Center or from the Obama meet.

There's one photo of him, he's sitting down, it's taken from the back, and it's rather dark, and Peter Souza, who I would guess is the photographer, gets to pick which to release or not.

arkitect
Feb 18, 2011, 10:49 AM
I would need to see more photos before drawing that conclusion. Either from the Cancer Center or from the Obama meet.

There's one photo of him, he's sitting down, it's taken from the back, and it's rather dark, and Peter Souza, who I would guess is the photographer, gets to pick which to release or not.
Actually if you look at the second pic (above) you can see Steve Jobs' head just behind Obama's left shoulder.

It seems as if all the pics being released are the ones that do not show Jobs clearly… perhaps out of courtesy.

AaronEdwards
Feb 18, 2011, 11:14 AM
Actually if you look at the second pic (above) you can see Steve Jobs' head just behind Obama's left shoulder.

It seems as if all the pics being released are the ones that do not show Jobs clearly… perhaps out of courtesy.

That's probably true about the second photo. But while you can recognize him from the first, you would only recognize him in the second by deducting it from the attendants, and it could, but I doubt it, actually be Dick Costolo.

Ubuntu
Feb 18, 2011, 01:52 PM
If he meets with Steve Jobs there's no need to meet with Eric Schmidt. It's like mixing a Macallan 57 Lalique Single Malt with Coke.

For most people Google is far more valuable than Apple in terms of what they have brought to the world.

cmaier
Feb 18, 2011, 01:55 PM
For most people Google is far more valuable than Apple in terms of what they have brought to the world.

Altavista+, Hotmail 2, and MapInfo Pro?

Or are you referring to the joy of having our personal information gathered, packaged, and sold to advertisers?

dime21
Feb 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
how lame. o'bama is taking economic policy advice from jobs and facebook zukenberg? ugh. i can't wait till 2012 for this joke to be over.

Ubuntu
Feb 18, 2011, 07:43 PM
Altavista+, Hotmail 2, and MapInfo Pro?

Or are you referring to the joy of having our personal information gathered, packaged, and sold to advertisers?

And you think the majority of people care about how information is used? Let us not forget that Google is not the sole company that does this. Hell I actually agree with you on that point and even spent the last week tracking down which Amazon/Ebay seller sold my information after receiving a spam letter at a new address so I'm not defending Google there.

But frankly, they have the most popular search engine out there. That didn't happen just by luck but they really worked to make it the most popular. And while you and I care about innovation (again I agree, Google is practically one step behind Apple in every new venture and not too ashamed to blatantly copy them in the process) I think there are more people who use Google products (including its search engine!) than Apple products.

And referring to the examples you provided, where do you draw the line? Was the iPhone not innovative then, because there were touchscreen devices around before?

blueraja
Feb 18, 2011, 10:11 PM
how lame. o'bama is taking economic policy advice from jobs and facebook zukenberg? ugh. i can't wait till 2012 for this joke to be over.

Hmm lets see asking for and getting advice from a room full of people with their fingers on the pulse of modern society or sending the VP out to discuss economic issues with officials from Exxon, Shell, BP and Conoco (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/15/AR2005111501842.html). :rolleyes:

JAT
Feb 18, 2011, 11:01 PM
You really think no Americans want to work in manufacturing? Tell that to all the former auto workers in Detroit.
Oh, please. What, you know 7 people willing to be coal miners for $8/hour? Waahh. Re-read what I wrote:
people here don't want to do this work, not in the numbers it takes to
Hmm, must need the new Sigma, if it would ever come out.

polaris20
Feb 19, 2011, 03:18 PM
I understand what you mean but the thing is that you have to look at the situation strictly from a business point of view. Isn't doing business all about maximizing profits? :confused: If one has the ability to earn more, wouldn't one do so (even when it doesn't really "look that nice" to others? :confused: Who in their right frame of mind would give up the opportunity to earn more if they are able to do so? :confused:

Actually no, it's not strictly about maximizing products. It's also about maximizing integrity and good will, both of which are so important they've got a line for it on financial statements for it.

For example, Mesa Boogie has steadfastly refused to manufacturer amps across seas, even if it meant having a cheap model to sell so that they can bring in more customers. Even other high end makers of similar products, such as Bogner, have offshored at least one line to bring in more sales. Peavey, who was once the symbol of USA manufacturing in the musical equipment industry, has a ton of stuff made in China.

But Mesa Boogie, probably at the risk of not growing as fast or as much, has stuck to their guns. I commend them for that, and buy their stuff exclusively, even though it's easily twice as much because of it.

Agreed.

I don't know, MR tends to let a lot of stuff slide, even though much of it is ridiculous. Gotta love all that arguing, so that they increase their clicks!! I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a moderator participating in discussion. Just don't directly insult someone. Then you'll get a time-out or ban. Short of that, have fun!

cmaier
Feb 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
Actually no, it's not strictly about maximizing products. It's also about maximizing integrity and good will, both of which are so important they've got a line for it on financial statements for it.

"Goodwill" on a financial statement is not the same as "good will." It's the value of a company beyond the value of its capital and assets. For example, the value of brand awareness, synergy created by combining assets, expectation of future performance, etc.

rdowns
Feb 19, 2011, 03:46 PM

That is utter nonsense. Unions represent less than 12% of the workforce.

cmaier
Feb 19, 2011, 03:48 PM
That is utter nonsense. Unions represent less than 12% of the workforce.

Why does no one complain about the demands of the businesses?

polaris20
Feb 20, 2011, 11:37 AM
"Goodwill" on a financial statement is not the same as "good will." It's the value of a company beyond the value of its capital and assets. For example, the value of brand awareness, synergy created by combining assets, expectation of future performance, etc.

Fully realize that. The value to consumers of something being USA made could be considered part of "goodwill" as it applies to financials.

I would totally spend more money on a Mac if it were MIA, in line with something I'd see from Mesa/Boogie or PRS. However if it were made like a Chrysler or GM product, probably not. :D

CFreymarc
Feb 27, 2011, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Hal Itosis;11935377]How can you possibly live in the USA, and wave that "don't tread on me" banner, and wear the sigs you have worn... and yet be so out of touch? Do you only watch Faux News Fraudcast or what???

Stay comfortable and believe the data handed to you. The truth is typically what is not said in the news. Love to see what you have produced.

CFreymarc
Feb 27, 2011, 03:16 PM

Now I know where Voice of Reason went. He left the Palm boards and is trolling here.

CFreymarc
Feb 28, 2011, 06:41 PM
Monkey see; monkey do.

First proper use of a semicolon for a while. I'm impressed.